Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Thought it would be fine to quote these again.

Am always curious what kind of process these kind of shoes undergo to make them look like this, and is the sole bend already when they are being put together or is this also something that happens afterwards.

And is there actually a benefit to the sole being like that, apart from it looking nice.

Anyone has some insight???

What made me pull the trigger is that these are still handmade...

And if I understand the order - you order them - make a downpayment - and pay the rest when they arrive in December..

Cotton - I think the bent sole is more or less a style / appeal factor.

But - you also benefit from it, anatomically speaking..The bend sole allowes you to rock slightly back and forward whilst standing - thus you have to balance your body in the vertical line - and this will not only strengthen your abs and buttocks , but also your posture...

The same effect is used for High Tech walking shoes - the ones with the rounded carved off heel ...

I can't find a pic right now...

i've had a pair of those bucks since 5th grade (been a size 12 since then). they're amazing.

If your school system isn't radically different from ours you must be one of those hairy canadians that run around forests... sasquatch or something?

If there's an old shoe box in mom and dad's house that you've never opened (and I guess, if you have no reason to think your folks ever made a sex tape), you should see what's inside of it. Not too long ago, I unearthed these from deep within a corner of the shoe closet at our house. The box had been there since forever, I actually remember seeing it one time I was looking for my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles hat.

After talking with my dad, I found out where they came from. After immigrating to Canada back in 1981, and starting work in a Chinese kitchen a day later, he took a portion of his first pay cheque and bought these. They're a pair of old Florsheims, worn and worn by him in the decades since that day. Looking back, he hasn't had the chance to wear them all too much during the couple of years where I might notice what the old guy was wearing, and that's why I hadn't noticed them.

But I'm glad that I've found them now, and I'm definitely proud to wear them. I think they're pretty sweet, and they're a part of our chaotic, messed-up family.

/emo sentimentality

img2023aq9.jpg

img2032fy4.jpg

img2030zb4.jpg

img2035ox7.jpg

img2031jq4.jpg

Great story rainmaker. The shoes look great and the added history makes them that much better.

These are my Red Wings after about a year of wear. I've decided not to clean them until the end of winter, so these things are going to continue getting filthy. I used Lexol cleaner, then conditioner and then finished with 2 coats of Obenauf's LP. These things are water fucking sealed right now and the dirt gets me hard. Some flash pics, some no flash pics for color purposes.

DSC03231.jpg

DSC03232.jpg

DSC03229.jpg

DSC03230.jpg

DSC03236.jpg

can anyone recommend a good boot/chukka for under 200? preferably around the 130-150 mark. Basically anything nicer than a pair of timbos, which will be my last resort, haha. The visvim buckminster chukkas are great but I can't find a pair in my size. Clarks maybe?

sorry,forgot to tick quote,good luck

How did sizing work? I took an 11 in my Clarks Desert Boots and they are slightly roomy but I've grown quite accustomed to the fit

I measure the fit on all of my shoes to include a cushioned orthotic to make them a little more comfortable. I bought an 11F (which I think should would out to something like an 11.5E or EE in US) and they are a little long and thin, but the fit is generally pretty good. My Aldens are 11EEE and that is pretty much perfect for me.

I thought I'd give an update on my Alden 405's.

Bought them about month and a half ago.

I had trouble with the right tounge sliding so I took some advice and stitched it to the boot. I used the existing holes as not to damage my boots and it's done a great job.

The only thing I've really noticed is the heel is must be very soft as it's wearing away faster than any boot or shoe I've ever owned.

Any thoughts to get out the beer stains on the toes?

dsc08677.jpg

dsc08678.jpg

dsc08679.jpg

dsc08680.jpg

-Michael Paradise to Me (over the phone) - "Hey, this guy up here at the Rose Bowl has a pair of those Red Wing Gentleman travelers that you want...You aren't a 9D are you??

-Me- "Sweet baby jesus.....how much are they?"

-MP- "$150, brand new, in the box"

-Me- "Shit, which color? Black Cherry or Black?"

-MP- "Black Cherry"

-Me- "Do it, do it now....Don't put them down. Pay for them and walk away slowly"

{Phone Call two minutes later}

-MP- "Got the guys down to $130.....they're yours"

*Audible thud of me passing out*

IMG_0771.jpg

The color of these......

I find it vaguely amusing that 'the Michaels' of Stronghold went from being reviled for their Von Dutch roots to hooking up Bill with discount boots. That completely aside, nice score Bill! Someday I will have boots for this thread, I swear...

Nice purchase Bill, how do you like the fit?

I see how the fit on these can be confusing for people. The standard thinking on these is that they run long and narrow. They are definitely long for a 9 D, but I don't find them very narrow. The overall sillouette (look) of the shoe is much more narrow and shoe like than the average moc toe red wing, but I find the actaul fit to be pretty standard (i.e., the D width fits like a D)

I see how the fit on these can be confusing for people. The standard thinking on these is that they run long and narrow. They are definitely long for a 9 D, but I don't find them very narrow. The overall sillouette (look) of the shoe is much more narrow and shoe like than the average moc toe red wing, but I find the actaul fit to be pretty standard (i.e., the D width fits like a D)

Are you using an insole in those boots??

I'm using a thin one and it makes the boot even more comfortable....