Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I wanted to read it but I had to re-register, waiting for the activation email. Happens with that board more than any other I know.....

OK, finally read the GT review on Vintage Leather Jackets. I agree with most of his critical points, though I think my particular pair was a bit better made than his.

I'm looking for these http://item.rakuten.co.jp/georges2/625/ George Cox Brogues but cant find them on a site thats feasible for order from the US.

So, anyone who can help or is willing to suggest wingtip brogues in black with rubber sole would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals but I doubt theres many gals here haha.

I'm looking for these http://item.rakuten.co.jp/georges2/625/ George Cox Brogues but cant find them on a site thats feasible for order from the US.

So, anyone who can help or is willing to suggest wingtip brogues in black with rubber sole would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals but I doubt theres many gals here haha.

Check out the Trickers Stow with Dainite sole http://www.pediwear.co.uk/detail.php?stock_ID=774

Alfred Sargent Montrose, but it does however come with a double leather sole http://www.pediwear.co.uk/detail.php?stock_ID=36

You can also check out Alden of carmel http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/shoes.htm which has two wing tip boots, shell cordovan and calf, both with commando soles.

Check out the Trickers Stow with Dainite sole http://www.pediwear.co.uk/detail.php?stock_ID=774

Alfred Sargent Montrose, but it does however come with a double leather sole http://www.pediwear.co.uk/detail.php?stock_ID=36

You can also check out Alden of carmel http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/shoes.htm which has two wing tip boots, shell cordovan and calf, both with commando soles.

thanks Madmax. If I cannot find the George Cox brogues Ill probably go with the AS Montrose and re sole.

Ill wait a little longer and see if the George Cox brogues turn up anywhere.

So I just put a long skinny gash in my new Smoke Jumpers...anyone have any advice for the best way to treat the leather...should I use some sort of leather lotion, or just polish?

just leave it from my experience when you put lotions or creams on a gash they would get darker than the rest of the leather just leave it as it is..

There's been some interest in these boots here and on other forums so I'll post my experience with the pair I just received in the mail. Most others have had positive experience but not so much with me.

From the advice of others, I ordered 1/2 size smaller - 9-1/2 instead of 10. This was good advice as the fit was good. I'd call that a quality problem and there are several others for a boot of this expense. The first thing I noticed was that the left boot was sewn together in a lopsided fashion, with the right section of the leather attached too far forward. One way you notice it is how the lace is crooked between the lowest set of holes in the left boot from the top view.

IMGP4411copy.jpg

To nitpick, the right sole extends further out the front of the boot, as well, and you see stitching there while you don't on the left boot.

The panel sewn on the back of the left boot is placed crooked too, and this view further illustrates the lopsidedness. This is noticeable when you wear it.

IMGP4413copy.jpg

The leather outsole has been poorly sewn to the boot and poorly finished. Here you can see poor trimming on the side.

IMGP4417copy.jpg

The top of the stitching is rough here also, but isn't very noticeable in the photo. The needles punched pretty rough holes through the leather, and you see the poor trimming better here.

IMGP4418.jpg

The thread stitched into the sole is supposed to be recessed into grooves cut into it, but since the grooves were poorly cut some of the thread is actually at the surface. It won't take much walking to wear these threads through.

IMGP4421.jpg

The worst part of these boots for me is how uncomfortable they are. This photo shows how the side of the boot is stitched to the vamp on the inside. The vamp leather is thick (on the other unseen side of the boot, as well) and really digs into my feet. The thread used is really hard and thick too, and protrudes further above the leather to really dig into the foot. This is not going to "break in". If you wear the boots much, the only thing that will break in is your feet, after first blistering and then developing calluses.

IMGP4426copy.jpg

IMGP4423.jpg

You can see that there's no lining in this boot either. A lining of any kind would help. Also note the partial insole at the heel. A boot of this expense should have a full insole. The partial one here is glued and will probably come loose and slide around or become detached at some point. There is very little if any cushioning in the sole; maybe a thin cork layer, so they jar your frame with each step.

Another problem I have is that my feet will pronate (turn in) somewhat in these boots. An arch support would help.

The laces appear to be cotton impregnated with wax which is nice as they probably won't come untied while wearing, and the upper leather is of good quality. These boots look nice and the leather soles would normally be a desirable thing if they were finished nicer, but all in all these are a mediocre pair of work boots and certainly not deserving of the $240 price.

I have some smooth tan leather Redwing work boots I bought around 1979 that are built better than these, and they're just basic steel toed work boots. The soles are oil resistant rubber though, instead of leather. But the build quality and finish was much finer and they came with an arch support that covered the protruding vamp and stitching at the arch. Even considering inflation I know they cost much less. I still wear them for working around the yard and garage. I was looking forward to these new ones so it's a big letdown. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for another quality pair and keep wearing these in the meantime.

I wore my Superleather Indies for the first time to work, and I didn't slip on the slippery ascents and descents in the NYC subway system's tunnels! I did have to concentrate a bit more than usual, and lean forward. Most slips are where the slick leather sole goes forward and I go backwards!

About the GT review - I agree about the overall quality, though my pair was better in its details. But the writer seemed not to be aware that many high quality shoes have only half-insoles. Like virtually all of Alden's shoes! I still think the GTs should come in E and EE, as mine are at the stretcher getting wetlasted as I write!

Alright, my custom British Hill Climbing boots are here!! These were custom ordered from a very nice British gentlman named Julian who fashions and manufactures bespoke boots in the British tradition.

IMG_0838.jpg

Julian carves his own lasts from blocks of Hickory, and works exclusively with traditional boot makers around the world. I used one of his pre-existing, but still self made, lasts. The upturned toes are not fashion statements, they are traditional to the hilly areas of rural England, as they aid in walking up or down steep hills! (an interesting note that I was clueless about before meeting Julian!) After choosing my last I chose my details: I went with blind eyelets, a simple straight cap toe, and one piece quarters (no heel counters).

Then it was on to leathers...I chose the Reverse tanned, waxed kip butt leather...the most interesting, durable, yet breathable option. The leather is something I have never seen before! The inside of the boots are the flesh-out, tanned side of the leather, in a smoth, supple dark brown. The outside of the boots are techincally the roughout side of the hide, but have been waxed black. The result is a almost wet looking black finish that crackles to reveal a cordovan/brown color underneath when flexed and pulled.

IMG_0845.jpg

For the sole I chose triple leather, with a leather/horseshoe heel (also known as a steel tip sole in the UK apparently). The soles are Sewn, Screwed and Glued.....bloody hell are they thorough.... The soles are very thick and inflexible at the moment, but with the upturned toe, they walk almost like clogs...you "roll" in them more than you step.....

IMG_0841.jpg

Some other pics for good measure:

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

that horse shoe heel is crazy

do you klip klap when you walk down the street?

Yes! They are loud as sin on concrete, and I love it! I'm told if I drag my feet on a motorcycle I can shoot sparks with them....

those are some serious boots how much for those bill? would you do proxy for me? hah!

I can discuss pricing with Julian and get back to you....but yes, I can proxy for you!

Anyone interested in boots should PM me and I'll get you some more info

I used to have a pair of old-fashioned artillery boots (that belonged to my father in the 1950s) with horseshoe heels like that, as well as fully-hobnailed soles. They sounded amazing when you walked on a rough loose surface, like gravel, but were a nightmare on smooth surfaces (e.g. the pavement). I couldn't walk normally because it was like walking on ice... I'll see if I can find them next time I go home, and post some pictures. The toecaps had been polished so often (by my father) that they were permanently mirrored.

More new arrivals in the store!

Now in stock: White's Semi-Dress in Distressed Roughout, natural (unstained) single leather heels and soles. Copper Hardware

IMG_0516-1.jpg

IMG_0517-1.jpg

IMG_0518-1.jpg

I used to have a pair of old-fashioned artillery boots (that belonged to my father in the 1950s) with horseshoe heels like that, as well as fully-hobnailed soles. They sounded amazing when you walked on a rough loose surface, like gravel, but were a nightmare on smooth surfaces (e.g. the pavement). I couldn't walk normally because it was like walking on ice... I'll see if I can find them next time I go home, and post some pictures. The toecaps had been polished so often (by my father) that they were permanently mirrored.

Were these 19th century or from the 50's era? I'd love to see photos!

tmadd - let's see a photo. Usually cobblers polish the part, but depends on the color of the leather underneath. I've heard from the staff at Allen Edmonds that B. Nelson specializes in repairing damage like that - something very few cobblers care to take on.

They were worn by my father in the late 50s, but I'm fairly sure the design is much earlier than that. They're basically the artillery boots the British Army wore in the trenches during the 1st World War. I used to wear them with jeans, but to be honest they were far too shiny and very stiff.

Greg, I'm going to my mother's house this weekend, so I'll try to find them and post pictures next week.