Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Uhm, I am not sure actually. I don't remember what the stuff I use is called. I know that a number of people here use a specific product that is supposed to be excellent, maybe Lexol? Don't recall, I am sorry :(

You've got a few options. I use Pecards and/or Lexol. There's also Obenaufs.

Military boots made by Dehner of Omaha, Nebraska. Unknown age. Belonged to one Captain Frank P. Gannon Jr. whose name was put in gold lettering on the inside of each boot.

They were in poor condition when I bought them a couple of years ago and have deteriorated still more despite my care. If anyone knows what style of boot this is and where I could get another pair I would appreciate the information.

You can still get them from Dehner http://www.dehner.com/

They're the strap tank boot. The example shown has a much shorter strap which only goes around the boot once but in the ME version of the boot that they show in current brown roughout leather as an active service boot they have a much longer strap. They're supposed to be absolutely top notch. A boot company that I've been wanting to try.

they used to sell those black boots alot in catalogs in the early 80's. I think they called them a tanker boot.

You could get the jungle, tanker and I forget the other style but that's what I remember...

I haven't seen them for a while and actually wouldn' t mind a pair myself...

Military boots made by Dehner of Omaha, Nebraska. Unknown age. Belonged to one Captain Frank P. Gannon Jr. whose name was put in gold lettering on the inside of each boot.

They were in poor condition when I bought them a couple of years ago and have deteriorated still more despite my care. If anyone knows what style of boot this is and where I could get another pair I would appreciate the information.

The Dehners are called Tanker boots. Very cool. Here are links to the Dehners, and a more generic model as well:

http://www.dehner.com/A-STRAPTANK.HTML

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productID=5713

Also, I myself stay away from Lexol to condition leather because it darkens the leather so much. Even their supposed "non-darkening" formula darkens the leather. Pecard's or Obenauf's or beeswax or baseball glove preparation are what leather buffs use....

Braidkid, My White's are at Jim's in NYC now - he's got the double-white-dot Cat's Paw soles and said he'd try glue, stitches and nails. He knows I'm crazy, but seems to understand.....

Aww, I was tempted to find some cat's paws but figured I'd go with the 705 since it's readily available. They should be done Thursday.

Pics will be up late Thursday!

So my whites are at the cobbler getting vibram #705 installed. I took them to the cobbler at broadway and republican in capital hill for those of you familiar with seattle. I'm worried perhaps I should have done more research as to where to have them done. This isn't rocket science putting soles on is it? Any cobbler can do this right?

I've always had excellent service at that location braidkid. I've had them clean, treat and sole my Butteros, Acnes and Fiorentini + Bakers. Always great work. They came highly recommended by people I trust at Barney's. Be sure to let us know how they do either way.

On that note. As far as pressing and dry cleaning in Seattle goes, who do you use? I've always had great results with All Seasons Cleaners.

Domestic abuse or not terutt, get your camera up and running so we can see more pictures of those parade boots! they look smashing on that one pic! (and can you get more of them?)

Thanks guys. Good to know that something productive came out of my time in Cadets. They actually asked for the boots back, as with the rest of the uniform, but usually they just trash boots this old, so I lost them accidentally on purpose.

If you look hard enough they go for about 20-40 CAD in some thrift shops. Used, natch.

Anyway, when I said my camera died, I mean it's dead. It is no more. It has ceased to be. It's run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. It is an ex-camera.

Guess SuFu was too much for it. OD's after three.

Thanks guys. Good to know that something productive came out of my time in Cadets. They actually asked for the boots back, as with the rest of the uniform, but usually they just trash boots this old, so I lost them accidentally on purpose.

If you look hard enough they go for about 20-40 CAD in some thrift shops. Used, natch.

Anyway, when I said my camera died, I mean it's dead. It is no more. It has ceased to be. It's run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. It is an ex-camera.

Guess SuFu was too much for it. OD's after three.

So *evil snicker* what size are those?

Greg I am looking forward to your experience at Jim's and your White's.

Here is a RW Beckman Boot customized with Cat's Paw from a guy in China.

That is a perfect boot for the job! The Beckmans and 1911s (same thing?) already look very much like that. China? Did you send your boots to PRC for the job?

The White's semi dress is very much the same concept as expressed in the RW's Gentleman Traveler write-up. Maybe even dressier because of the leather sole. But I prefer it with Cat's Paws anyway. My guy at Jim's is gonna start working on the White's tomorrow. I asked for stitching and nails in addition to glue; he'll see how much of that he can do. He knows I'm going for an old-fashioned look.

^Greg, my bad, those aren't my boots. Its pics from some guy in China. Although I wonder if it even looks that different from the original commando sole.

It think the gentleman traveler, beckman, are all the same boot, No. 9011 / 9014.

They call them Beckman's here:

http://www.redwingshoe.co.jp/

I hope your guy at Jim's can figure out that old school vibe. Good luck!

For anyone considering Officine Creative boots (barneys among others has them right now), I'd avoid them. I like the aesthetic:

2215422642_05bb2f1899.jpg

2214630457_257b438acf.jpg

2214631477_27ec5ab022.jpg

But these have been worn two days and the inside of the toe box is coming off the sole, so much for the visible stitching on the bottom of the sole:

2215422260_c0cc8584d9.jpg

They appear to be cheaply, and poorly, glued construction selling for about the price of alden shell cordovan boots. Course, at $180 on sale, I can't really complain, but these are NOT worth the retail price, or even half off.

In retrospect, I should have given them a once over with the polishz before I snapped them.

How about the soles - are they leather? The pattern of the seams and last shape look like a 1970's-era Army boot, just a few inches shorter. Nice!!

For anyone considering Officine Creative boots (barneys among others has them right now), I'd avoid them. I like the aesthetic:

But these have been worn two days and the inside of the toe box is coming off the sole, so much for the visible stitching on the bottom of the sole:

They appear to be cheaply, and poorly, glued construction selling for about the price of alden shell cordovan boots. Course, at $180 on sale, I can't really complain, but these are NOT worth the retail price, or even half off.

Thanks for the heads-up! Interesting sole.....

Terutt, they Do actually look amazing!.. looking to get them off your hand some day?

Not a chance. :D

How about the soles - are they leather? The pattern of the seams and last shape look like a 1970's-era Army boot, just a few inches shorter. Nice!!

Actually, they're nitrile-gum. Better considering they they're mass produced, and we have to stand/march/drill in them for hours at a time. Getting them resoled in leather though, when appropriate.

thesole.jpg