Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Yeah, they're 4065s. I'm hoping the Grant last fits vaguely like the Barrie. We shall see.

nice purchase. how much did you snag these for? after a few weeks of wear, my cordovans are broken in nicely and the pinching action near the right toe has disappeared. curious to hear your experience with these...

nice purchase. how much did you snag these for? after a few week of wear, my cordovans are broken in nicely and the pinching action near the right toe has disappeared. curious to see hear your experience with these...

ended up going for $305 shipped. Had I bid 6 seconds later, would have gone for $230. Sigh.

u guys are killing me...been watching that for 3 days...if possible, please take down that link...thanks

af 64 looks like a great boot but it all comes down to what you want them for

af64 is more outsdoorsy

indy can hold its own outdoors or as a more casual, semi-dress shoe. i can get away with wearing the indies to my office job, not so sure about those af64s though

both classic shoes...

would you reccomend cats paws or vibrams?

They're both just different brands....depends moreso on the look you want, style of tread etc.... I wouldn't say one brand is better than the other

a late reply but openauf's heavy duty lp applyed often is the best protection i've found. we buy it by the gallon.

Cheers for the feedback. No I don't really want to keep them glossy, I'm not fussed by that. I just want to make sure that they're protected from the elements in every possible way :)

I'll go with the wax cream and polish anyway, see how I get on. Thanks again.

anyone have an issue with sore knees from vibram r100 soles? I find that if I stand all day on a hard floor in some hiking boots with vibram soles, that by the end of the day my knees hurt? anyone else experience this? any recs on any softer sole I can put on?

anyone have an issue with sore knees from vibram r100 soles? I find that if I stand all day on a hard floor in some hiking boots with vibram soles, that by the end of the day my knees hurt? anyone else experience this? any recs on any softer sole I can put on?

The Wedge style crepe soles are definitely the softest and most cushioned boot soles I've ever used. Tend to give you that construction worker look though....Love 'em on my Red Wings, wouldn't consider them for my whites or Aldens.

I would first look at the angle of your foot in those shoes. Usually, in my experience, knee pain (barring trauma) comes from bad angles. Vibram over leather can't offer less cushion than leather, so it seems to me that you're left with an issue of your foot position.

I just went to my local work wear store and got custom fitted for a pair of White's Semi-Dress boots! I got the double leather sole in brown. Sorry Chicken, yours are such an inspiration, hope you don't mind I copied you.

I can't wait to begin the pain of breaking them in. How am I going to wait 6-8 weeks while they're being made?

I just went to my local work wear store and got custom fitted for a pair of White's Semi-Dress boots! I got the double leather sole in brown. Sorry Chicken, yours are such an inspiration, hope you don't mind I copied you.

I can't wait to begin the pain of breaking them in. How am I going to wait 6-8 weeks while they're being made?

I hope you're not looking forward to the pain of breaking them in....I find the Semi Dress really comfy out of the box!

The trick to getting through the wait time is to strike yourself twice in the forehead with a ballpean hammer. By the time you're completeing cogent sentences again and not drinking out of a sippy cup, your boots will be done!

immitation is a form of flattery right? ;)

but obviously by no means am i an original with semi dress. there are so many people before us. but glad i could be part of spreading the love.

i took the double mid sole with additional sole from TAKASHI-san, myself. and brown looked like such a classic semi dress last for me, looking at collections from people like kinjiro-san.

and bill is super-helpful about getting what you want.

congrats on your purchase. your wait should pay off.

and cool friggin boots, dunkin. crazy soles.

My girlfriend just picked me up a pair of the Red Wing RWI-Inspired's in black

The tag says they're waterproofed leather; should I bother applying a treatment before them some wear?

Cool, I like them, and I like the construction worker look, since this is classic American workwear, which is part of why I like them in the first place! I tried for a long time to find an "E" width here in NYC. Did you find them at Shoe Mania? They told me that a Japanese store had purchased all their "E"s. So I stopped looking.

Do you plan to take them in the rain? The leather can take the wet. I'd leave them alone unless you wanted to make sure that water didn't come through the stitching. In that case, I'd rub a thin coat of beeswax into the seams. If you want the stitching to remain white, then test it on a place where it won't show. Most substances darken leather and stitching. Even my favorite Sno Seal darkens things a couple of shades. The only stuff I use that keeps the darkening down to like 1/2 a shade is Meltonian Leather Lotion, but its waterproofing powers aren't that great. Even though it has silicone, it's what I would use on these boots if I could find a pair, since I suspect they were probably waterproofed with silicone anyway.

My black shell cordovan Leeds came back from Allen Edmunds today. On the right in the photo below. The part that bugged me is not in the photo, it's down along the sides where the gloss had been stripped out. Now, the entire surface has been evened out, but has lost the glisten it had. I will take them to my shoe guy and try for a spit-shine w/o Afta. I'll try to photograph and capture the blur I'm talking about. But I suspect these will end up a beater shoe. The calfskin pair I have looks *way* better. Sorry about how squatty they look in the photo at that angle, they are much more photogenic than at this. The AE photo below is better!

l.all.shoes.gif

Leeds_display.gif