Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

thanks miz and chicken..

gonna search ebay now and try some old worn out ones and wait with mint condition ones untill i know my size..

Hmmm... the lizard told me that the plaza last fits very similar to your sneaker size. He said to stick with 9.5 for me. Who do I believe!!

With Aldens, one has to pay attention to what last the shoes are made on. The posted Alden of Carmel link has been pretty accurate in my experience. Based on my regular dress shoe size, I sized down a half for my Indy boots and use the regular size on the Plaza last. I'm not much of a sneaker person, so I can't tell you how my dress shoe size compares to my sneaker size.

if your are referencing your nike measurements, size down one size because nike's are a half size too small.

i chose nike's to use as an example because they are probably the most universal.

if you are using asics as a reference, size down one half. i wear a 9 in asics but 8.5 in alden.

the plaza last seems to run true to size, and many people have had success getting their regular size in that last.

the regular foot width on aldens is a D. on the shoe it's indicated under the heel width. so, if it says, "8 B/D" then, it's saying that it's a size 8 with a B size heel and a D size foot width. if you have wide feet, get an E. if you have really wide feet, get an EE.

the heel size usually corelates to the foot width, so you'll see B/D and C/E.

sizing is more important with shell cordovan than with calfskin because the leather doesn't stretch as much. that being said, i've had my D width cordovans stretched by my shoe guy to E width.

i'm glad shoes don't shrink like denim, cuz that would be even more confusing.

sizing is more important with shell cordovan than with calfskin because the leather doesn't stretch as much.

While that may be true, I feel like my shell cordovan shoes also run just a tad larger than their calfskin equivalents... sometimes as much as half a width. I believe that the guys down at the store on Madison have also said the same thing.

the regular foot width on aldens is a D. on the shoe it's indicated under the heel width. so, if it says, "8 B/D" then, it's saying that it's a size 8 with a B size heel and a D size foot width. if you have wide feet, get an E. if you have really wide feet, get an EE.

Most Alden lasts aren't made in EE, but a fair few (Barrie, Trubalance among others) fit wide enough for most EEs in the E.

if your are referencing your nike measurements, size down one size because nike's are a half size too small.

i chose nike's to use as an example because they are probably the most universal.

if you are using asics as a reference, size down one half. i wear a 9 in asics but 8.5 in alden.

the plaza last seems to run true to size, and many people have had success getting their regular size in that last.

the heel size usually corelates to the foot width, so you'll see B/D and C/E.

sizing is more important with shell cordovan than with calfskin because the leather doesn't stretch as much. that being said, i've had my D width cordovans stretched by my shoe guy to E width.

i'm glad shoes don't shrink like denim, cuz that would be even more confusing.

what he said.

also, i think people generally wear sneakers looser. but with boots you want them more snug.

Hi munkyballz

They made 2005 pairs of the 1909's, I guess there is very few left or none. They are made of Horween leather, which is a famous chicago leather company, which also started in 1905 like red wing.

I just picked up a pair of 1909 for 45 euro fresh in the box........

Best deal in years, quality is amazing.

I was curious if you fellas with the cocoran jump boots actually wear yours?

Yes, I wore mine yesterday. Maybe again today too. They actually fit on the medium-to-large side. The sizing is remakably close to Converse All Stars! My Chuck Taylors are 9 and fit just right. My Corcorans are 9 1/2 and fit a tiny bit large but comfortable nevertheless. And they come in widths.

l.corcorans.gif

Hello all!

It's been a long time, and in the hotter weather, I was thinking about marathon running and wristwatches, and helping my wife buy a car. But the fall/winter weather here in NYC is inspiring me as always to think about footwear and other sartorial stuff!

I was very happy to meet a lot of you in person at Blue in Green's party a few months ago. I'm going down there today to check out a Samurai chambray shirt.

There is some shoe news:

-The Crocket and Jones Villiers finally arrived (pics later)! I had posted pics of all my shoes except those, since they were on special order. They came in, and fit great! Very dressy, and they don't take well to skulking around the damp and gritty NYC streets. But they look fantastic with denim or khakis.

-What Miz calls "secret agent shoes" My beloved Leeds from Allen Edmonds I sent back to the factory for a re-finish -- I have two pair, one in calfskin and one in shell cordovan. Well, the cordovan pair was messed up the very first day I wore them. I took them to a shoe repair, and before I knew what happened, the guy poured Afta on them, and immediately re-dyed them. And they were out-of-the-box brand new! Stay away from that place, (Drago on the upper level of Port Authority south terminal - stay away!!) The finish was removed, and they lost that cordovan gloss. And no amount of expert polishing or cleaning was ever able to get them back into condition. I'll let you know how they come back from the factory. And go back to Drago and explain to them the problem so they'll know for the future. Like they give a #$%%^!

Here's a picture of the calfskin Leeds - they're looking better than ever since this picture. I'm getting a new camera so new pics soon:

shoes.leeds.gif

Say again? :D

Romano Martegani is a $450 shoe in the US, cheaper in Europe I'm sure, well made, and they'll MTO anything for you for a moderate upcharge. I believe they've got 100+ lasts and a few thousand patterns for basing the MTO on. PM me if you want their US distributor's contect. Their website, I believe, has their European distributors.

Ok, I have a pair of nubuck leather slip-ons (Clae Garvey Carmels) that are pretty beat to hell.

In an attempt to revitalize the guys, I purchased Kiwi Express: No buff Cream Polish (Brown).

What effects, both good and bad, will using this have on my shoes?

l_6bf221a4859729164ed8bf44c79acc8b.jpg

Thanks ahead.

-JF

Thank you, Mother England (U.S. here). Hmm, I knew I should have posted here before I shelled out $5.. Oh well, live and learn.

And to D, Cordovan is hot shit. I like dem shoos.

-JF

p.s. What is Cream Polish for? If not on my nubuck, I can probably still use it on something other.

Martegani with the 35 last might do?

They look like this! (3B last)

102_0752.JPG

I've got some coming in a slightly more rounded toe.

Closer in color and shape to what I have coming (35 last):

vince2-005.JPG

Though, my first pair are gonna be higher wingtip boots, with a double sole, and less heavily antiqued.

EDIT: should have mentioned that they'll combine any style with any last, pretty much. I assume there must be limits, but I haven't found them. So getting the chukka on the lower last, or any of howeverthefuckmany Ron has access to is a matter of 60-90 days wait.

Cream polish on nubuck doesn't sound like a wise idea. All should do is get some nubuck cleaner and some mink oil, etc. to soften/condition the leather.

Ok, I went back to Kroger and bought the following Kiwi products: Suede & Nubuck Cleaner, Tan Shoe Polish, and a huge plastic container of Mink Oil.

What order should I use these on my shoes? Currently, they are really scuffed up and dirty.

-JF

Suede and Nubuck Cleaner, Mink Oil once the shoes look as clean as they are going to get. You shouldn't use polish at any point.