Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Zappos just started selling the Red Wing Gentleman Travelers: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/28451823/c/72.html

Free overnight delivery, free return shipping.

7954-529368-3.jpg

ive been lusting after these for a while....cultizm is out of my size unfortunately, and they are apparently sold out across europe.

zappos dont ship internationally, so i may have to suss out a US proxy...

I sure hope these will look better with age - allthough - pretty perfect when new..

blackboots.jpg

Thought it would be fine to quote these again.

Am always curious what kind of process these kind of shoes undergo to make them look like this, and is the sole bend already when they are being put together or is this also something that happens afterwards.

And is there actually a benefit to the sole being like that, apart from it looking nice.

Anyone has some insight???

I have a pair of boots from the 1960s that need to be resoled, how much does that cost usually? Also, Is there any type of resole i can get that is grippy without being obviously rubber bottomed? I live in a city with brick sidewalks and hills galore, that are trecherous and slippery and id like some grip again.

I have a pair of boots from the 1960s that need to be resoled, how much does that cost usually? Also, Is there any type of resole i can get that is grippy without being obviously rubber bottomed? I live in a city with brick sidewalks and hills galore, that are trecherous and slippery and id like some grip again.

They make rubber "sole protectors" that are maybe 1/16-1/12 inch thick, and are very durable. Plenty of cobblers will do a resole. A cheap, proper, one will be maybe 70, an excellent one maybe 90. I know there's a company in NY that apparently does a good job for $95 shipped both ways. http://www.bnelsonshoes.com/ You need to pay extra for sole protectors, but that's the higher end of costs. I don't believe there's that huge a range. My local shop charged something like $85 a year ago, and did a, well, shittacular job.

I've really enjoyed reading this whole thread and thought I'd kick in my favorites to wear with jeans.

From left to right:

- Alfred Sargent Castleton ~ 6 months old

- Alden 405s ~ less than a week old!!!

- RM Williams Comfort Turnout ~ 1 year old

- Church's (not sure what style) ~ 3 years old

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Thanks!

can anyone recommend a good boot/chukka for under 200? preferably around the 130-150 mark. Basically anything nicer than a pair of timbos, which will be my last resort, haha. The visvim buckminster chukkas are great but I can't find a pair in my size. Clarks maybe?

nice collection Jolla!

What did you use to polish your Indys? I have a pair on order and I like your color vs the factory.

-----

ajds

I actually used some Meltonian Tan and that didn't really have too much of an effect. I was planning on just leaving them alone and not doing anything else to them, but you know how that works out. I put some Meltonian Brown on them and liked them a little bit darker, so I figured I'd pull out the big guns. I put a layer of Meltonian Blue on there and this is where I ended up.

I only put Meltonian Tan on the welt stictching to take them a bit off white and I haven't messed with that otherwise. I didn't like the blue tinge that was left on the white toe stitching after the last coat, so I took some leather cleaner and brushed it clean with a toothbrush. Now, the stitching is relatively white and the boots are pretty dark.

I like where they're at now, so it's just a matter of letting these bad boys break in naturally.