Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Tom, these would be a "mid" weight boot. They are flexible, and not suitable for crampons and ice-climbing - I have very heavy mountaineering boots for those activities. The DMLs are very supportive, not restrictively so, and are heavier than a Red Wing style boot.

As I remember, they took a few weekends of light hiking before they broke in and became extremely comfortable. The sole, because it is a thinner layer of hard rubber, with a lighter weight cushioning foam underneath, is relatively light - very similar to the sole of the oiled leather Indy's at Alden-of-Carmel (which I recently purchased :D). This pair has been re-soled twice, and probably has 3-5k miles on it, mostly in the White Mountains and the Adirondacks.

I really only use these for hiking, and with the recent cuts & scrapes they acquired this past season, the leather has deteriorated to the point where I am now planning to buy a replacement pair of the same model. Like you, I am far prefer to wear the Alden range of boots, or Red Wings, for everyday.

1908 Red Wings have landed (bought online) - problem I have is deciding if they fit ok - ie don't want to break them in to find they don't get totally comfortable.

My big toes have plenty of air space and there is some slop without tightening the laces right up but my little toes are against the sides of the boot.

Question then is - those of you Red Wing jockeys out there with high mileage... do these sound like they will work out ok or will I find them too small?

I appreciate there is lots of potential for this sounding like a question too far ("only you can tell if they fit not someone on a forum") but my enquiry is more to do with what a virgin Red Wing wearer can expect post-breaking in.

Thanks for entertaining what could just be a ridiculous question!

1908 Red Wings have landed (bought online) - problem I have is deciding if they fit ok - ie don't want to break them in to find they don't get totally comfortable.

My big toes have plenty of air space and there is some slop without tightening the laces right up but my little toes are against the sides of the boot.

Question then is - those of you Red Wing jockeys out there with high mileage... do these sound like they will work out ok or will I find them too small?

I appreciate there is lots of potential for this sounding like a question too far ("only you can tell if they fit not someone on a forum") but my enquiry is more to do with what a virgin Red Wing wearer can expect post-breaking in.

Thanks for entertaining what could just be a ridiculous question!

Can I ask what size did you get? I wear size US10 in Vans and others like that. In Redwings I'm US9 (D). Seems to me that you might have been able to get smaller and wider size? Believe me, it's small annoyance to send them back for exchange than to wear too big boots.

TJB, if the space up front is over a half an inch, I'd suggest you go down another half size or so (until it's half an inch or less, with socks) and maybe go a letter wider. I say maybe, because it'll definitely stretch side-wise, but I don't know how tight it is right now.

I wear half a size down ln redwing 875 compared to sneakers. But it is my correct size according to measurement. They do come up a little narrow that is for sure. But I do have a fairly high instep.

Mine hurt like daddyo for the first few days but now they are great. I had no specific rubs apart from my ankle though. Maybe moykky is right about the width but as the man at trickers told me you should have movement of your heel. when not laced up tight.

Also don't forget the insole.

edit: as said above, just less than half inch room in the length is fine

Can I ask what size did you get? I wear size US10 in Vans and others like that. In Redwings I'm US9 (D). Seems to me that you might have been able to get smaller and wider size? Believe me, it's small annoyance to send them back for exchange than to wear too big boots.

My fear was too small rather than too big but now you have me concerned on a new tip now! :)

I wear a UK10 in sneakers/shoes/Clarks/Timberland - everything. I popped for US10D (UK9) - although width wasn't an order option (Cultizm).

I'm less concerned they are too big as the slop can be got rid of by and large by tightening the laces up - that said if I force my foot in as far as possible I can get a finger in behind my heel (albeit with a not extremely thick 'winter' socks on). I am (was!) more fearful they are possibly too small. So if the considered wisdom is they'll soften and the outside toes will be fine that's my width concern dealt with. Now I just have to ponder if they are too big!

fit is such a crapshoot- now you have me freaked because I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Alden Indys (Sherman Bros, free shipping, discount for first time buyers). I went with a 10D despite hearing that I might want to step down a size.

I like using insoles- so i hope it works out.

I wish the free return places (Zappos etc...) carried more interesting stuff.

-------

ajds

that's where I got my Aldens Indy's. I wear an 11.5 in kicks and went with the 11 in Aldens and I'm glad I did. They fit perfect, and I rarely ever say a shoe fits my crazy fit perfect out of the box...

the 405's a great boot. Congratulations on the order...

In the Indy's, I originally went with 9D's (my normal shoe size), which fit me pretty well, but even better with insoles. The issue remained that when closing the shoe up, it was a bit loose around my skinny ankles. So, in the end I had to get a pair of 8.5D's.

Argh... my Edward Green Shannon boot just showed up after being on order for over 3 months... and for once, I don't have my camera. I'll probably post pictures tomorrow.

wesco, lone wolf, real mccoy (buco repros), carolina, red wing japan. those are the only nice ones I have ever seen. I have the Wesco and I love them. They are heavy but are balanced well so they don't feel heavy after a long day or wearing/walking in them. Only problem is they are made to order and take about 4 months. Also check out the gokey/orvis for a non-traditional engineer with a mocc toe.

I though I'd use this thread so I don't clutter the place up with a new one, anyone got any recomendations for nice engineer boots? Something a bit along the lines of sydneys I guess.

In the Indy's, I originally went with 9D's (my normal shoe size), which fit me pretty well, but even better with insoles. The issue remained that when closing the shoe up, it was a bit loose around my skinny ankles. So, in the end I had to get a pair of 8.5D's.

i have a similar problem with my 405s. width-wise, i know i could have gone with an 8E. but i'm already having a problem tying the laces around my skinny ankles on my 8.5D.

wesco, lone wolf, real mccoy (buco repros), carolina, red wing japan. those are the only nice ones I have ever seen. I have the Wesco and I love them. They are heavy but are balanced well so they don't feel heavy after a long day or wearing/walking in them. Only problem is they are made to order and take about 4 months. Also check out the gokey/orvis for a non-traditional engineer with a mocc toe.

I also have the wesco boss. I really really love em. I special ordered mine in brown with the western toe and brass fitting. I was trying to get the classic 50's biker boot and I think they did a fantastic job. Mine took almost 6 months to get though. Plus the break in was murder on my shins. I finally had to soak them in the tub and wear them wet to break them in. It's one hell of a boot though. One hell of a boot.

i have a similar problem with my 405s. width-wise, i know i could have gone with an 8E. but i'm already having a problem tying the laces around my skinny ankles on my 8.5D.

Have you tried on an 8E? In my case, the 8.5D around the ankles is a lot smaller than the 9D... like 1/2" to 3/4" smaller. It might not change that much by just moving up a width. Of course, then there's the question of buying another pair or just living with it.

Thanks for the notes on the fit- most of my running shoes are 10 1/2s and I like superfeet insoles if shoes don't have enough arch. The guy at Sherman Bros talked me through it and we figured a 10D would work. I'll be sure to report back.

I wish there was some real standard that every body went by (like Chuck's).

At least it is better us than for kids- my daughter is 2 and she wears a 4 in some shoes and a 7 in others.

-----

ajds

Quick question; can someone recommend an online store that ships Tricker's to Australia ? I've been fiending for a pair of Stowe's for ages and pay-day is only a couple of weeks away.

Finally got a pair of Tricker's Stows with double leather soles (kind of regretting it now, but what the heck); bought them off eBay from retricker1829. I would take pics but I've only got my phone camera. Does anyone have some useful tips for taking prolonging the life o- leather soles (apart from not wearing them) ?

Have you tried on an 8E? In my case, the 8.5D around the ankles is a lot smaller than the 9D... like 1/2" to 3/4" smaller. It might not change that much by just moving up a width. Of course, then there's the question of buying another pair or just living with it.

yeah, so i need an even smaller ankle than 8.5D -- my ankles are too thin that the left and right lace hooks practically overlap each other on the top. but width feet-wise, at 8.5D is almost too narrow for me. i guess i have wide feet and thin ankles. :(

but i haven't had the chance to try an 8E, though.

Finally got a pair of Tricker's Stows with double leather soles (kind of regretting it now, but what the heck); bought them off eBay from retricker1829. I would take pics but I've only got my phone camera. Does anyone have some useful tips for taking prolonging the life o- leather soles (apart from not wearing them) ?

You can put those metal things in your heel and toe, other that that, there's nothing much you can do. Don't worry, they will last a long time, longer than rubber-ones.