Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

As requested by Haz:

1356951970_621c4fda10.jpg

1356951988_55381e31bb.jpg

Not sure of their relation to the boots you mentioned. Also, just spoke to bill about the possibility of putting a leather sole on them.

Still contemplating,

Chad

Don't do it man! THese look great with huge rubber soles. Wait untill you wear out the existing soles first at least.

Ok maybe these shouldn't be on the same page as Takashi's boots. But here are my 875's I've had them just 10 days or so but they have served me for 3 days solid construction so they are starting to get nicely broken in now.

1381624548_43ebe9f921.jpg

1381624566_e9c8d7addf.jpg

after a wash, still wet:

1381624572_399d3f0e0d.jpg

1381624586_3dd6ee3a12.jpg

My Alden shoe collection, left to right, top to bottom:

shell cordovan soft square toe captoe blucher in cigar, shell cordovan Indy in #8, and 2 405s.

img9394croppedec0.jpg

The 405 on the left was polished with a combination of Kiwi brown and Meltonian London Tan & medium brown shoe cream. The 405 on the right was polished with only Meltonian London Tan & medium brown shoe cream. Some close up shots:

img9394cropped2uf7.jpg

img9394cropped3qk6.jpg

I thought people might be interested in seeing the difference in how the Indys look based on what polish you use on them. I haven't decided which one I like better. I think the one polished with Kiwi brown looks more broken in, whereas the one polished with only shoe cream looks more of a dress boot polish. (The one on the left has actually been worn a little bit longer, but not by much. I decided to get the 2nd 405 b/c I wanted to size down.)

Great post! The thing that interests me is that the stitching (not sure what the correct technical term is) on the first Indy is much finer (closer together) than on the second. I have a relatively new pair of Indy's and the stitching is closer to the second pair pictured. When did you purchase the first pair? I wonder if that's a cost/time saving measure by Alden?

Great post! The thing that interests me is that the stitching (not sure what the correct technical term is) on the first Indy is much finer (closer together) than on the second. I have a relatively new pair of Indy's and the stitching is closer to the second pair pictured. When did you purchase the first pair? I wonder if that's a cost/time saving measure by Alden?

I bought the first one in May and the 2nd one in Aug, both from the NYC Alden store on Madison. So they may or may not be from the same batch. I agree that the first pair seems to be of higher quality workmanship. The second one actually has stiching that is somewhat irregular. I'm not complaining too much about it b/c they were kind enough to give me a sizeable break on the pricing since I was buying a second pair for a better fit... and I was buying a pair of the cigar captoe at the same time. Alden definitely knows how to maintain customer loyalty. I'm definitely a customer for life now... still have a pair of 4060s and cigar Indy's on order.

I know my newish 405's had a missed stitch on the left toe. I called and they said to sent them back and they'd fix it, but the shoe fit so well I was afraid I'd never get a pair that fit so well just in case.

Also I notice they overlap the stitching to the heel only on the right side. Not sure how to explain that but on the left shoe the stitching overlaps on the inside and not on the outside. On the right boot it does the same but opposite. IE: they don't mirror each other.

I'm a stickler for detail and I can live with it, but it's not to my satisfaction for sure.

And I did finally fix the right tounge from shifting by sewing it to top of the boot so it can't slide.

All that being said, I absolutely love the boots. Just gave them a good polish last night. About one month in....

Good post. I'm kinda a stickler for quality too. I also hate it when a great company starts to cut corners as they grow. Not saying that's what happened here but it does happen. Alden makes awesome shoes. Whenever I need new shoes, dress or casual, I always check out Alden's first.

Hi Guys...first real post here...

Question...anyone have any experience (and pictures of aged ones) with Danner Mountain Lights? They're popular in Japan but I don't have too much experience with them.

Thanks and aloha,

Tom

No personal experience, but the used ones Ive seen on ebay doesnt look that exciting. The dark brown leather doesnt seem to change that much.

Im interested in getting a pair though, but they are really expensive to me.

Hiking boots look chunky as hell compared to vintage styled work boots, but I guess thats part of the appeal..

Hi Guys...first real post here...

Question...anyone have any experience (and pictures of aged ones) with Danner Mountain Lights? They're popular in Japan but I don't have too much experience with them.

Thanks and aloha,

Tom

Tom, the Danner Mountain Lights are great quality. Mine are on their seventh season of hard use. Here they are after the end-of-summer cleanup and conditioning with Obenaufs:

dannerl1uy1.jpg

dannerl3sg8.jpg

dannerl5ty7.jpg

dannerl6cl4.jpg

dannerl2ge1.jpg

Tom, I can answer your question but I just want to welcome you to this forum and I hope you can stay longer and share some your knowledge with us.

Thanks mike...although I haven't posted, I really love this forum. Kinda weird coming from a guy who hangs out in the AAAC Trad forum. My knowledge is limited to Aldens, but if anyone has any questions I'm more than happy to help!

No personal experience, but the used ones Ive seen on ebay doesnt look that exciting. The dark brown leather doesnt seem to change that much.

Im interested in getting a pair though, but they are really expensive to me.

Hiking boots look chunky as hell compared to vintage styled work boots, but I guess thats part of the appeal..

Thanks. I don't really see the appeal. I'd rather wear a pair of Indy's or Red Wings.

Tom, the Danner Mountain Lights are great quality. Mine are on their seventh season of hard use. Here they are after the end-of-summer cleanup and conditioning with Obenaufs:

Thanks riff. Looks like you actually use them for mountain hiking. Any other thoughts? Comfy? Supportive? Heavy?