Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Baldy, I think I made it too confusing. I decided on a single leather mid sole with the 700 sole.

I did NOT want the front of the sole to be very think. Two layers max. I just made my questions/ ramblings too confusing. I apologize for that. :) I just can't say what I was thinking correctly.

paul thanks for the diagram. i think that stitch down construction mimics the plain veldt construction. same exact concept. always a good read.

crash i find it amazing that these old shoe companies are taking this long to realize that they have customers other than older gents and business suit people. i think a little extra customer service wouldn't be bad.

here's my jobmasters, double front, single midsole, vibram 700 outsole.

jobmaster2.jpg

Its disheartening to hear that a cobbler in england would not even know what a stitch-down construction is.

Disheartening, yes. Surprising, not in the slightest.

As for the business of old English shoe companies - I think eg and trickers are good examples of embracing their new market. C&j to a lesser extent. Others, again like some savile row tailors would probably rather it all go away. They make their money from the posh clientele and are uncomfortable with other 'lesser' classes.

Edited by fre-co

Thanks man, it was indeed me who wanted to see pics of the Oxfords, but I have now ordered a pair for myself......three weeks and counting until they ship.

As for SD's, I'm going to have a play with my own custom make up I think. With my refund, and selling the other pair I should have almost enough to order them, without having to dip too much into additional funds. I'm thinking black Bull Hide toe vamp, plain cap toe, dress leather shaft and counter, double leather midsole, composition half sole, all antique eyes....or items to that effect.

... black Bull Hide toe vamp, plain cap toe, dress leather shaft and counter, double leather midsole, composition half sole, all antique eyes....or items to that effect.

'got a similar make-up, but instead of Bullhide i used brown BISON leather for the cap toe & backstay & brown [Horween] HORSEHIDE vamp+shaft.... composite half soles + close trim + all brass eyelets, etc. also, i got the 1/4 lowered block heel option, instead.

wish i could post pix, but i trashed my camera.. will post asap.

Edited by BrownMetallic

My Oxfords will be black chromexcel, brown edging, honey vibram sole, can't wait to get them.

Your Sd's sound sweet bm, just the kinda style I like.

If anyone wants to make me a very reasonable offer for the cursed SD's, here is the link to the ebay auction. PM me any offers...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280855494885?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649#ht_500wt_1204

Has anyone ordered the whites engineers? Would be curious to see them without the ugly sole/midsole they've got on the bakers site.

Just got an update from White's: Black and Brown chrome excel leather will be an option on the new Nomad Engineer as of now!

http://www.bakershoe.com/search.cfm/product/whites-boots-nomad-engineer/

BTW, I have some samples on order with different sole and edge configurations - will post them online once they come in.

Thank you all,

Kyle

Baker's Shoes

www.bakershoe.com

www.buildaboot.com

1800-879-0514

Edited by Quack_Attack

hey Kyle! lovin' the SD HH/Bison__ tnx for making it happen.

Your Sd's sound sweet bm, just the kinda style I like.

If anyone wants to make me a very reasonable offer for the cursed SD's, here is the link to the ebay auction. PM me any offers...

http://www.ebay.co.u...9#ht_500wt_1204

tnx, Mega. incidentally, that [cursed] boots is till salvageable, IMO.

if they were my size i'll srsly consider getting them [ie, @ a reasonable discounted price]__ for a pair of beater boots & re-invest money saved on re-soling them. other than the sole issue, they are still quality White's, afterall.

.... or i can just have a local cobbler lop off the vibram sole, resurface & re-attach the heels__ assuming they were just glued on top of the leather & kept the sole stitching intact.

of course, re-soling would mosdef need specialized handling to make them kosher .... say, new welts to cover old stitch holes [specially if you want to go for a closer trim] & maybe a commando or composite half-sole [for some grips, but with lower profile]..

Edited by BrownMetallic

Kyle,

Are there any other leather options that will be made available for the Nomad?

What leather were you looking for? Right now it's just the 6 (black, brown, red dog, distressed in either smooth or r/o + black and brown cxl) I know the bull hides, french calf, water buffalo's and anything elese that needs to be 'leather lined' like on the SD's or Smoke Jumpers, cannot be applied to the Nomad.

Let me know and i'll see what can happen -

just got back from Capri Shoes in Fullerton. Picked up my Wolverine 1000 Mile boots.

2lm78ye.jpg

2qavj3c.jpg

Great service. Even cleaned them up. Whenever I need to resole a pair of boots, Capri Shoes is where I'll go. Thanks to those who recommended them.

Wht did you get Ben ?

the stow in espresso burnished with studded dainite sole. a pair was on the cards ever since visiting richard smith's premises in doncaster. paul t's marron stows were very tempting but then i found a blog with some pics of a beautifully aged pair of espresso stows that stole the show for me.

i know i've spoken about possible quality issues with some tricker's recently, but i'd forgotten just how substantial a new pair of their boots feels in comparison to c&j...

the stow in espresso burnished with studded dainite sole. a pair was on the cards ever since visiting richard smith's premises in doncaster. paul t's marron stows were very tempting but then i found a blog with some pics of a beautifully aged pair of espresso stows that stole the show for me.

i know i've spoken about possible quality issues with some tricker's recently, but i'd forgotten just how substantial a new pair of their boots feels in comparison to c&j...

Cool , I was wondering what there was left in the Trickers boot collection for you to purchase , thought you may have bought shoes . The Bureau retails the same boot might call in tomorrow to have a look . Do they have a double rubber sole or leather mid sole ?

I recently purchased an A2 in seal brown , all my footwear is black at present so looking for something in browns but dont want anything in tan so espresso may be an option . Quite like the look of the Burford but would want a commando sole , might give Richard a call .