Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

If someone is looking for a new pair of Engineer Boots to kick around, size 6e and 8 1/2e are available for $65. More info on my blog.

Edit: Forgot the photo...

1.jpg

Nice find John! If they're like the last pairs listed that's a great price.

a saturday boots rant....

================================

so I went to Ryan's sports shop in Santa Clara, CA, as they're the one shop that carry White's and Nick's boots in the area.

I called earlier and try to get brief info about Nick's custom boots, describe that I want an oxford shoes that's based on Nick's model#64

64B8Blk-over-Wal-Nickle-.jpg

which equivalent to White's Northwest, and cut the part from ankle top.

He said that I'll be a fool to get that done, and keep on emphasizing that custom order can't be returned, so 15 min later I was there at the shop.

Before I start asking my questions, he just go ahead and gave me lecture about Nick's boots and White's boots plus the history etc for at least 20 min, I kind of heard about it before but I patiently listen.

i showed Gary, the boss this photo

img62241575.jpg

but I want to get toes #2

nickswhitestoes.jpg

Toes #4 is smokejumper toe, I'm not sure if Semi Dress is #3 or #4.

it's from rakuten site, and he confirmed that it's indeed Nick's. and he told me that I'll be the first fool walking on the streets with Nick's boots and keep telling me that high tech and fashion forward people have been buying Semi Dress, and persuade me not to buy the shoes that I have in mind.

Anyway I tried on White's smoke jumper in 12E in black roughout and it fits snug but okay since they don't have celastic toe, I wear two feet ahead socks fyi, so no more room for thicker socks. However I tried asking Gary if I can try 13D but he insisted that I don't do that (aka ask me to listen to him), and I have enough lecture for a saturday so I guess that's the cue for me to say good bye.

Anyway I have asked Kyle from bakershoe about making similar oxford shoes but White's won't let domestic folks to order more than 1 color combo. I have yet to order one from Kyle but he's been a lot more patient with me.

end of rant

For those who own Viberg and Julian Boots. What is your comparison of the two? Do they both use same weight/quality hides. I know Viberg is particularly known for heavy leather. What about construction and dirability?

Cheers,

Posted · Hidden by Quack_Attack, March 12, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Quack_Attack, March 12, 2012 - No reason given

so I went to Ryan's sports shop in Santa Clara, CA, as they're the one shop that carry White's and Nick's boots in the area.

I called earlier and try to get brief info about Nick's custom boots, describe that I want an oxford shoes that's based on Nick's model#64

He said that I'll be a fool to get that done, and keep on emphasizing that custom order can't be returned, so 15 min later I was there at the shop.

Before I start asking my questions, he just go ahead and gave me lecture about Nick's boots and White's boots plus the history etc for at least 20 min, I kind of heard about it before but I patiently listen.

img62241575.jpg

nickswhitestoes.jpg

it's from rakuten site, and he confirmed that it's indeed Nick's. and he told me that I'll be the first fool walking on the streets with Nick's boots and keep telling me that high tech and fashion forward people have been buying Semi Dress, and persuade me not to buy the shoes that I have in mind.

Anyway I tried on White's smoke jumper in 12E in black roughout and it fits snug but okay since they don't have celastic toe, I wear two feet ahead socks fyi, so no more room for thicker socks. However I tried asking Gary if I can try 13D but he insisted that I don't do that (aka ask me to listen to him), and I have enough lecture for a saturday so I guess that's the cue for me to say good bye.

Anyway I have asked Kyle from bakershoe about making similar oxford shoes but White's won't let domestic folks to order more than 1 color combo. I have yet to order one from Kyle but he's been a lot more patient with me.

end of rant

img62241575.jpg

nickswhitestoes.jpg

end of rant

Hey there - If you're looking for a two tone style of oxfords, we can have a pair made for you by Nick's - their make up time is a little longer than White's (8-10 weeks) - I can have the toe changed, double midsoles, two or three tone leather configurations, plain toe or lace to toe...shoot me an email at [email protected] or call me tomorrow at the store 1800-879-0514 - I'll be in at 9-9.15 AM PST (need to take my car to the shop in the AM) Also, I'll be traveling thru CA for business, any good local breweries in the SF and Sacramento area? Let me know on those oxfords - we'll get you hooked up.

Thanks,

Kyle

Baker's Shoes

www.bakershoe.com

Eugene, OR USA

When I first received my SD's from xchen I took some comparison shots against a pair of Red Wing GT's, I will try to dig them out.

Posted · Hidden by clayton, March 13, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by clayton, March 13, 2012 - No reason given

I apologize if this should be in the small questions thread but how do people feel about current Church produced shoes/boots?

Hey there - If you're looking for a two tone style of oxfords, we can have a pair made for you by Nick's - their make up time is a little longer than White's (8-10 weeks) - I can have the toe changed, double midsoles, two or three tone leather configurations, plain toe or lace to toe...shoot me an email at [email protected] or call me tomorrow at the store 1800-879-0514 - I'll be in at 9-9.15 AM PST (need to take my car to the shop in the AM) Also, I'll be traveling thru CA for business, any good local breweries in the SF and Sacramento area? Let me know on those oxfords - we'll get you hooked up.

Thanks,

Kyle

Baker's Shoes

www.bakershoe.com

Eugene, OR USA

If your traveling down I5 stop at Sierra Nevada's brewery in Chico. It's the grand daddy of them all. Or südwerk in Sacramento.

Got my leather samples in the mail from Whites. Gotta say, I am leaning heavily towards black cxl. The dress brown is super nice, but it just seems rather standard. Its durable, can take a shine, but lacks character when you touch and rub it. The CXL seems to almost mold to your hand, stretch to the way you manipulate it, and take on a patine depending on how you use it. I know, its just a small swatch of leather but it was almost instantly noticeable to me. That said, I have also unloaded some useless shit (to me at least) on Ebay that and have actually managed to fund my pair of whites. So, for discussions sake, should I go through Whites directly, or Bakers? Pro's and Con's of either?

Beautiful wear. they just need some tlc to bring some sparkle back.

I've used leather soap to clean them, Lord Sheraton leather balsam to condition them, then Kiwi tan or natural. But still the leather looks dry. Is there any better product to condition them?

Although the leather sole is not too worn, because of the Topy's, it looks tired all round the edges and there's movement and flexing between what is, I guess, the mid sole and outer sole. Is it too early for a resole?

paul, really appreciate the pics and you've given me plenty of food for thought! they look great; i'd use neatsfoot oil or dubbin to moisten the leather but i'm sure there are fancier, branded products out there that would be great, too.

rkusmant - the pics i took at the shoehealer's are below but are utter rubbish - i was talking to richard at the time and, as both of us were headed elsewhere (leeds for me, london for richard) there was no real time to get much done. plus, i only had my mobile to hand...

i didn't even manage to get a pic of the newer sargent and cheaney boots, although there are some tricker's mto at the bottom of the first photo and you can get a glimpse of sargent's montague boot in the top of the third pic:

imag0111z.jpg

imag0113lw.jpg

imag0114d.jpg

the tricker's skipton boot did the job in the yorkshire dew:

imag0129d.jpg

and the last shitty pic, this time of a cavalry boot from the great war seen in an antiques shop in headingley. slightly too small for me, thankfully...

imag0161tt.jpg