Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

its partially the angle, partially rather poor construction, which is surprising to me because the stuff in his workshop is very well made. These boots have been a pain in my ass since I got them, but I refuse to give up on them. I have had to take them back to him twice because an eyelet kept ripping the laces. Now, the heel stack on one boot is starting to separate. I have been rather displeased with the quality to be honest, and thats part of the reason why its taken so long to break them in. I just dont wear them that much. They are constructed pretty solid though, and the leather seems top be some sort of vintage. It smells just like my dads old vietnam era military briefcase. At this point, im not sure if I want to put any more effort into these. Most likely I will just get some Whites when funds permit.

I'm not familiar, but those looked so good (wear pics on Brooklyn Circus website) so I picked up a pair. I'll report back, but unfortunately, by the time they ship the sale will be long over.

I'm just hoping they fit.

I'll be curious to hear what you think!

I don't think that is the case, otherwise they wouldn't call them chestnut cordovan and the price is more for those than the suede.

My thought as well.

In other news, some unknown brand color #8 shell cordovan longwings I picked up at the last Rose Bowl flea market for $25 (!). They're a bit beat up, but I'm pretty stoked regardless. Only marking on them is "Travelite" on the sole. Wish I had any other info about them!

IMG_5651.JPG

IMG_5652.JPG

Edited by dkatz

If you are not happy and don't wear them much, maybe you should cut your losses... sell them and move on.

Life is too short for boots that aren't spot on. Good luck with the white's

What is the deal with Al's attire? He does shirts,hats,suits,shoes? I assume it's not the same guy making all these things right? otherwise 'jack of all trades - master of none' is a phrase that springs to mind.

Honestly, im not sure whats the real deal. I think he mostly designs the stuff and does some manufacturering. As far as who makes it, I have no idea. From what I could gather by talking to him, the majority of his off the rack stuff is targeted at Japanese tourists who go crazy for this kind of stuff, but cant wait the 4 weeks required for a custom creation. He will make anything you want, and his shirts and hats are fucking phenominal looking from every aspect. I just think the shoe game might be a newer venture of his. I got these at a deep discount, and who knows, maybe they were seconds. I have seen other boots of his and they are pretty top notch.

Honestly, im not sure whats the real deal. I think he mostly designs the stuff and does some manufacturering. As far as who makes it, I have no idea. ...He will make anything you want, and his shirts and hats are fucking phenominal looking from every aspect. I just think the shoe game might be a newer venture of his...

From what I know, Al has a team that manufactures stuff based on his designs at a local workshop (could be now situated in-house at his new larger location). He made some custom boots for me as well as resoled some of my shell Aldens with Cat's Paw. The construction of the custom boots were good for me, just make sure you pick the materials well. His canvas boots were excellent. He was actually a shoe maker first before he ventured into clothing many years ago. His old custom shoe spot "Taming of the Shoe" was located in the Mission SF back in the 80s.

Thought I'd post a few pictures of my around one and a half year old Red Wings 9011D. Personally I find it a thrill to look through pictures in this topic and I hope at least someone will appreciate my posting these.

Only problem I have with them is that the leather part inbetween the cat's paw-like sole is getting really dried out and is starting to come loose in some places. Silly me have been forgetting to clean and rub that part with Viking Fiskarsmorning (http://www.skotornet...karsmorning.jpg) like I've been doing with the rest of the boot on a regular basis since I got them.

redwings9011D3.jpg

redwings9011D2.jpg

redwings9011D.jpg

Unlaced, not worn, and standing on the kitchen table next to a couple of avocadoes and an unlit candelabra:

poj006.jpg

Hope no one finds this post obtrusive.

Ya'll have a very nice day.

Edited by Jamolos Orm

Thought I'd post a few pictures of my around one and a half year old Red Wings 9011D. Personally I find it a thrill to look through pictures in this topic and I hope at least someone will appreciate my posting these.

Hope no one finds this post obtrusive.

Ya'll have a very nice day.

Very nice! Recently got these Fracap - if only they could turn out something like your RWs.

fracap_boot.jpg

Hello fellow sufuers,

I'm a total newbie when it comes to engineer boots.

I've read through many threads here and also perused marineabilly's superb blog.

While I really like the Road Champs and also the RRL boots made by Julian both are currently out of my budget.

I've therefore now focussed on Wesco and Viberg boots.

Has anyone got experiences with both brands and can compare?

If you check ebay, Im sure that RRL are not that far from Wesco and definitely close to or even better than Viberg prices. If you a want a Wesco customised job, the options can add to the price and before you know it, you are up to $600.

Ive got the RRLs made by Julian and in black. Really good boots.

edit: theres a few pairs on there but not a great deal of different sizes.

Edited by big truck

that louis vuitton video was out of left field. i'm impressed. never in a million years would i have thought that they were actually making good shoes!

I get my usual boots size, 13 in alden/white's, i'm having hard time insertin my foot in, they are in cobbler now, however once worn, it's pretty much okay, but I need boots socks for the right fit, i can get away with dress socks in my usual boots.

Consider going a size up. Deluxestyling and rayw44 have said that either in this thread or the RRL thread. It worked for me too. They fit a bit small.

I wear an 11 in most other boots and sized up to a 12 in the RRL's. I put an insole in these and they're ok but if an 11.5 existed it would be much better.

Edited by smittybat

If you check ebay, Im sure that RRL are not that far from Wesco and definitely close to or even better than Viberg prices. If you a want a Wesco customised job, the options can add to the price and before you know it, you are up to $600.

Ive got the RRLs made by Julian and in black. Really good boots.

edit: theres a few pairs on there but not a great deal of different sizes.

Thanks for tip. But I've already checked ebay and while some of RRL boots in sizes- I think- 8 and 13 are sold for 599, my size 10 is 999.

I liked the options for the Wescos that marineabilly presented on his blog such as Western or Motorcycle Patrol toes. But I haven't heard anything about the leather that Wesco uses. I'm sure it's top notch quality. But it would great to learn about its characteristics.

Ask the seller if he would budge a bit. I got mine from a guy who had them listed at over $1,000 for under $700. Since I think only one guy has them at that price anymore he would be crazy not to budge at least a little bit.

And Big Truck was right, the Wescos and Vibergs may end up running as high as $600-700 anyway.

Ask the seller if he would budge a bit. I got mine from a guy who had them listed at over $1,000 for under $700. Since I think only one guy has them at that price anymore he would be crazy not to budge at least a little bit.

And Big Truck was right, the Wescos and Vibergs may end up running as high as $600-700 anyway.

Thanks for sharing that. Good to know. That might work.

If you order stock Wescos you can manage to keep the cost at around $485 with shipping. I recommend getting the brown leather. It is surprisingly supple and beautiful. Also if you can get your hands on some Red Wings 2268, you might be able to get them between $300~$400. I'm not too fond of the profile, but it does age nicely.

Here's a recent stock build (except for the buckles) that pwing did. Cost less than $500.

pwing_wesco.jpg

Also to think about is some Lone Wolfs but they tend to take you to the $700 budget. It has a decent profile, but not the flat toe classic Chippewa profile you're looking for.

sugarcane_lw.jpg

Thanks for tip. But I've already checked ebay and while some of RRL boots in sizes- I think- 8 and 13 are sold for 599, my size 10 is 999.

I liked the options for the Wescos that marineabilly presented on his blog such as Western or Motorcycle Patrol toes. But I haven't heard anything about the leather that Wesco uses. I'm sure it's top notch quality. But it would great to learn about its characteristics.

the wesco brown leather ages very nicely.

DSC03363-1.jpg

If you order stock Wescos you can manage to keep the cost at around $485 with shipping. I recommend getting the brown leather. It is surprisingly supple and beautiful. Also if you can get your hands on some Red Wings 2268, you might be able to get them between $300~$400. I'm not too fond of the profile, but it does age nicely.

Here's a recent stock build (except for the buckles) that pwing did. Cost less than $500.

Also to think about is some Lone Wolfs but they tend to take you to the $700 budget. It has a decent profile, but not the flat toe classic Chippewa profile you're looking for.

Yes, that's a beautiful brown.

And I'd prefer the flat toe.

I'Ve also heard many nice things about the Red WIngs 2268, but also that they won't fade to brown, which I'm looking for.

Apparently the Lone Wolf and RRL ones would do that.

The Lofgren ones are an option, too, at around 700$

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/423816_2867527762118_1077534665_32921199_2010789224_n.jpg

My coming up on 2 years old RW 3141. I just had the soles replaced because I got tripped up on an escalator (the teeth at the bottom or top of the escalator) and it took chunks out of both crepe soles. I had heard that if you send them back to RW, they just farm it out, so I just went local. $65 for a set of Vibram 2060 in beige. They are thicker than original, but the colors go nicely.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/cmr914/1293bb89.jpg?t=1330649706

My coming up on 2 years old RW 3141. I just had the soles replaced because I got tripped up on an escalator (the teeth at the bottom or top of the escalator) and it took chunks out of both crepe soles. I had heard that if you send them back to RW, they just farm it out, so I just went local. $65 for a set of Vibram 2060 in beige. They are thicker than original, but the colors go nicely.

http://i112.photobuc...pg?t=1330649706

Red Wing resoling their shoes:

http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2012/01/25/better-than-new-re-crafting-the-red-wing-875/

Red Wing resoling their shoes:

http://www.acontinuo...e-red-wing-875/

I saw that. I have also read here that some work got farmed out. Could have been a thing of the past though... Nothing wrong with that, but I figured if it did get farmed out, i might as well support my local guy.

jesus fucking christ. that had to be the longest 8 weeks of my life. love them. that's all that i can say. black cxl leather. fucking awesome. comfy out of the box. fucking rad.

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

fit pic with 660s.

DSC_0134-1.jpg

i didn't, but here's to helping a brother out.

DSC_0141.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg