Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Thanks man, I'm just looking for something lower cut for summer. I work in my Wolverines and Abingtons, and wear my SD's and my SJ's all the rest of the time. None of those are really suited for summer.

thanks man, but I don't really like desert boots. I am aware that there are plenty of options, and these are the two which I favour (hence the question).

they looked like a pair... i guess i didn't think to check they matched, as you don't expect it do you?

i suppose the carboot stall owner i bought them from probably still has two right shoes in the back of her car...

Feasible to make a trip back to see if she's a regular? Could end up with an extra pair for your troubles!

Got pics of the ones you bought?

So crashtest Veldtschoen are rarely found in a us 12? No wonder over the past year and a half the biggest size I've come across is a uk 10. Yeah I've never seen a pair up for sale here in the states, they always pop up over in the uk somewhere. Been hunting them for awhile. I know the hunt is half the fun, but at points it gets frustrating

So crashtest Veldtschoen are rarely found in a us 12? No wonder over the past year and a half the biggest size I've come across is a uk 10. Yeah I've never seen a pair up for sale here in the states, they always pop up over in the uk somewhere. Been hunting them for awhile. I know the hunt is half the fun, but at points it gets frustrating

they were made up to a uk 12, as per that pic above. the boots crop up so rarely though, and most of them seem to be in the size 7-8 range. the shoes can be found in all sizes.

lotus shoes were sold in the states as a number of their old adverts from back in the day mention this. but they seem to have been more of an english thing - i think, in part, due to their association with the british army...

that's a fine looking pair too - not much wear on 'em.

these are... less unblemished. and there's two left shoes. :wacko:

WP_000275.jpg

details are identical as far as I can tell to my lotus. the only lettering you can make out in the insoles is 'guaranteed waterproof' in a box - did only lotus have this guarantee?

edit: no joy back at the bootmarket today - she might be there next tuesday though, the tues/thurs markets do have some different stallholders...

Edited by killer b

unlucky not to find the seller...hope she makes a return trip at some point.

i know that lotus were the ones who started the whole 'guaranteed waterproof' thing but others picked up on it. there's a beautiful pair in an 8.5 on ebay at the moment which are tagged as such. not sure who made them (the seller says they were made by w & j martin, but they were actually the makers of the zug grain leather). fantastic shoes...and unworn.

I still don't get the fascination with those....

not at all?

fair dos, i don't get the fascination with the white's that are so popular on here, and wouldn't look twice at many pairs of aldens etc. just personal preference, obviously enough.

Some look nice enough (maybe the older ones that you have?) but those up there, the leather doesn't look like it has any character, the colour looks completely flat.

How much are people spending on these? It seems sufu must have pushed the price up?

I still don't get the fascination with those....

I have to agree with this. The boots are ok but the shoes look like something that you see old men wearing in conjunction with beige elasticated-waist trousers.

the leather on a lot of the 'new old stock looks similar' - it only shows its character after a fair amount of wearing.

not sure if sufu has pushed the price up, as there seems to have been interest in these for some time from groups as diverse as war re-enactors to bikers to vintage collectors. i've found listings for lotus boots and shoes that have been sold at 'real' auction houses, due to the historical context of the footwear.

In a way they put me in mind of those harris tweed jackets that were being mass produced until the 80's at least and are now 'vintage' and 'rare'.

Now I am a fan of harris tweed as much as the next man but only when it is is made into a beautiful item by a proper tailor and fits well, I'll leave the rest to charity shops.

To a certain extent then it seems these lotus shoes are being bought because as you say the historical context, not because they are a particularly beautiful example of english shoemaking. If that is what is important to you then fair enough. That is probably why they don't do much for me.

i think with these, their function defines their form and that has a beauty in its own right - which probably explains the appeal of white's etc to others on here. plus, they're extremely fit for purpose as winter shoes and boots and, no doubt, for general country wear.

amen, too, to using a proper tailor although i'd take flannel over harris tweed anyday!