Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

So I've been looking into a couple models by William Lennon and it has me to wondering how practically resoleable they are? That is to say, I know can be resoled according to everything I've read, but because I don't really understand the type of construction method they're using I'm not sure how difficult they are to resole. Due to the method of construction is resole only possible through the company? Since I'm in the US that's not really an appealing or practical option, so I'm wondering if they'd be a lot more trouble for an experienced cobbler than a goodyear welted sole?

As erk says, I reckon they would be trouble to resole, if you don't have the Blake Screw Machine, and there aint' many around - only Lennon, plus one in Australia IIRC. But, firstly, those soles will last a LONG time. They're really thick, and the construction is very strong, mine have a topy-style cover and heel, and if you replace those regularly you might not have a full resole for a decade or so.

Secondly, I suspect their resoles are pretty cheap, so altho transatlantic carriage may add to the cost, when you consider what a bargain the boots are, it's still not expensive.

Context Roy Alden boots; these are, together with my Indy's, my daily beaters.

6637231879_fc0389ff93.jpg

IMG_3235 by SLAB13, on Flickr

6637232453_98541d075b.jpg

IMG_3238 by SLAB13, on Flickr

6637233431_d30fbb68ed.jpg

IMG_3241 by SLAB13, on Flickr

crepe soles make them very comfortable to wear but honestly I dont get why they attach a leather piece at the toes, it makes you slip and i've already worn them out

6637234279_2dee3f63cf.jpg

IMG_3244 by SLAB13, on Flickr

My last post seems to have disappeared. Anyway, thanks to all for WL advice. I emailed them few questions a couple days ago and now I'm just waiting to hear back.

As erk says, I reckon they would be trouble to resole, if you don't have the Blake Screw Machine, and there aint' many around - only Lennon, plus one in Australia IIRC. But, firstly, those soles will last a LONG time. They're really thick, and the construction is very strong, mine have a topy-style cover and heel, and if you replace those regularly you might not have a full resole for a decade or so.

Secondly, I suspect their resoles are pretty cheap, so altho transatlantic carriage may add to the cost, when you consider what a bargain the boots are, it's still not expensive.

I read it's about £50, so not too bad. I wish I could say the same about shipping costs :\ But I think I'd probably topy them for safety anyway, so I imagine resoling won't be a frequent issue.

Also, completely unrelated to WL but relevent to this thread, screw Chippewa for not releasing these boots in other territories,

0000042678003.jpg

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/flisco/chippewa-97060/

Edited by Curious_George

damn that horsehide is looking mighty deep, strong, and supple.

Picked up these Fracap hiker boots the other day. The sole is crazy, never seen it before. Looking forward to see these age.

KkFrm.jpg

onehundy- how is the horse hide? how thick is it? I ask because I was surprised to see that Bakers requires it to be leather lined, they usually only do that on the thinner hides like bull hide and such. Hard to tell but it looks pretty substantial there. Beautiful boots.

The horsehide isn't that thick but its tough. Usually I think its better to have horsehide boots lined, except for bucos. Horsehide in general isn't that thick. i'm a big fan of whites now, even though I had my doubts because i'm biased towards Wescos. But man, the detail and construction on this pair of whites looks better than the job wesco did on my jobmasters.

onehundy, nice boots! those are in fact pretty similar to what I had in mind (double leather soles, standard last and welt, natural edges, block heel) only I'd like to get them in brown HH. Do you have any pictures wearing them? I'm not sure of the cap toe yet as the block heel seems to make them more bulbous than with the regular heels?

Whites HH SD

Please tell me you're entering these in the horsehide contest??? :)

onehundy just convinced me to pull the trigger on a similar make-up last night. .dont know the actual turnaround time, but these will be my entry for the contest, Mike

couldnt wait for the Lennon Project anymore. i mean i fully trust Mike's capability in organizing a successful group buy__ which he has proven a few times before, but i have waited long enough [eg, Viberg fiasco] for an HH pair & onehundy's post proved to be irresistible.

Edited by BrownMetallic

Love those jump boots riff. My perfect boot would look something like that, maybe a bit darker but the natural chromexcel has aged nicely. Ive seen a few pairs now with that leather and they all look different but good.

onehundy just convinced me to pull the trigger on a similar make-up last night. .dont know the actual turnaround time, but these will be my entry for the contest, Mike

couldnt wait for the Lennon Project anymore. i mean i fully trust Mike's capability in organizing a successful group buy__ which he has proven a few times before, but i have waited long enough [eg, Viberg fiasco] for an HH pair & onehundy's post proved to be irresistible.

Awesome, can't wait to see your pair

Ahh im still waiting for my hh whites. What was the turnaround time for yours onehundy?

it took 5 weeks

Maybe more appropriate for this/that thread, but I'm going where the knowledge is...

This:

Sloat_Plain_Toe_Boot_in_Natural_Chromexcel_3.jpg

Versus this:

1P_86042H.jpg

Thoughts? Main differences seem to be the 3/4 storm welt vs 360 goodyear, sole, and laces. Both Natural Chromexcel, both trubalance.

Would go for a non-celastic smoke jumper in natural cxl in a heartbeat if Baker's would follow through on that leather option, but I'm getting impatient.