Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Some of you may have read this over at SF, here it is again.

Just got my pair of Chippewa 20065's yesterday, been wearing it all day today. I am normally a size 12 in Nike Dunk's (SB/non-SB), but after reading the LL Bean Katahdin thread I sized down half a size (due to the similarities between the two boots) and they fit PERFECTLY (no slop anywhere, I wore mid-weight merino hiking socks today since it was chilly out and I was perfectly comfortable lengthwise and width wise). Impressions? Amazing, considering I got these for $120 (Bass Pro) and all sizes were readily available (as opposed to the OOS status of the Katahdin's). They didn't require much break in and were comfortable out of the box. One tiny niggle I have is with the LACES. Man, the stock ones are pretty much metal wires due to their wax contents. Rest assured, I have some Wolverine 1000 Mile laces coming, as well as some latigo leather laces (for the record, the stock laces were 54" long, I personally think they could be shorter, you can probably get away with 48" long laces). Due to the Goodyear welt construction, I can easily replace the stock Vibram Gumlite soles when they wear out. Best part of all? Made in the USA!

I was on the edge between these and their 6" Street Engineer (25290) boot, and finally settled on these. The heel lift on the latter is ridiculous due to the extra height of the lugs, and I feel that I can get away with the Stockbridge's design (fairly deep treads IMO) for Canadian winters. One more thing to add, while not cracked, I think these would benefit from some oiling (mink oil perhaps, or some Obenauf LP). Waxing will darken it too much for raw denim IMO, was tempted to Sno-Seal it.

Specs:

-Height: 6"

-Outsole: Vibram Stockbridge Gumlite

-Midsole: Leather (dual layer at heel and arch area)

-Welt: Goodyear

-Upper/Vamp: Chocolate Bay Apache Leather

-Laces: Waxes 'Sta-tied'

-COO: USA!

Some pictures:

r0026066.jpg

r00260672.jpg

r0026074.jpg

r0026086.jpg

r0026072.jpg

r0026084.jpg

r0026070.jpg

r0026069.jpg

r0026078.jpg

Edited by burgerkong

Some more pics:

r0026082.jpg

r0026073.jpg

Link to higher res:

I find that I enjoy the regular Vibram rubber over their Gumlite as I feel it's grippier, but that's just me. Here is a quick fit pic:

img1100rc.jpg

Brendan

Edited by burgerkong

Alden's definitely uses better skins than Church's. I think horween stuff is just great and whatever shoe you make from it will have great patina. I'm not sure where the English bookmakers source their skins from, but I do find them very supple and high quality especially Edward green and G&g.

In terms of durability, I think that horween cxl and cordovan is perceived to be more rugged, more American, if you know what I mean. I find my English boots more dressy, and my Alden's more casual. It's just a different vibe.

Thanks for your answer. it's helpful!!

the almostnice household rw collection

6438522969_dca6423889_z.jpg

left to right, back row: 2992, 2992, 2971(the wife's) 2940, 2936, 8134, 9011

front row: 8113, 9012, 1908, 9030, 1907, 8138

awesome!!! the 8138 look stunning

SuFu - I am working on doing an intro price on the shell cordovan for SuFu but to be fair I'll also be doing this for the Style Forum fans as well. Again, this will be offered 'first come, first serve' to the first 5 buyers.

Base price: $949

Less 15%

After discout price: $806.65

Also, Soles, lasts, midsoles, toe caps, pull loops, trim/welt would be customizable per your desire. Keep in mind, the lather will be in the factory in about 8-10 weeks and another 4-6 weeks make up.

If anyone is interested, please contact me at [email protected] please put in the subject like 'Cordovan Semi Dress'

Thank you all for your business and support.

We greatly appreciate it.

-Kyle

Baker's Shoes

www.bakershoe.com

www.buildaboot.com

That's a great offer Kyle. I'm sure those five will be snapped up in no time.

Unfortunately I'm too broke even after getting rid of four pairs of Aldens...

My regular footwear now consists of:

White's SD (SD brown)

Trickers wetherby

Wesco Boss (black)

Less often since the weather turned bad:

Alden cigar indy

Russell Moccasin Chukka (Tan R/O)

Crockett & Jones Skye

What's the best way to try to fix this ugly scratch on my wolverine 1k boots? I picked up some dark brown Fiebing's creme for a few bucks but I haven't used it yet. Later I read that there is a lot of pigment in it, but creams don't cover scratches as well as more waxy stuff does.

6515623719_98c88d68e9.jpg

Edited by eNonsense

What's the best way to try to fix this ugly scratch on my wolverine 1k boots? I picked up some dark brown Fiebing's creme for a few bucks but I haven't used it yet. Later I read that there is a lot of pigment in it, but creams don't cover scratches as well as more waxy stuff does.

If you're concerned about the color, try a little bit of it on the tongue in an area where it won't be seen. You should get a pretty good sense of whether it's going to change the color or not from that.

If you're concerned about the color, try a little bit of it on the tongue in an area where it won't be seen. You should get a pretty good sense of whether it's going to change the color or not from that.

I'm not really concerned about it changing color a little, as much as it blending together. I know it will never look like new, but I imagine some ways would probably work better than others. I don't want to mess up my month old boots more than i already have.

Edited by eNonsense

6515623719_98c88d68e9.jpg

Try mustang paste,ive seen someone post it here after apply it. Nicely done.