Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

They do look good b_f! Something to look forward to under the tree :)

agreed with seul - they look great! i would love to see more pics! is there a model name for those? also, what are those pants riff? they look like selvage duck - yum!

Thanks sweapea! I'll post some pics up when i get a minute. The pants are carhartt selvage duck ropers - very nice stuff. but mine have always been a shade to small, so i've been thinking of letting them go. pm me if you're interested! :)

b_f how'd you size on those? And it says they're sold out but you said they have some correct? So do we just contact them and ask? I'm assuming you are more up to date than their website since you usually know what you're talking about haha

yes erk, they are available now. although it isn't stated on wwii's pages (last time i checked)

yeah, it looks like they've got the USMC roughouts back in stock but not the US army ones.

I bet you're gonna like em. I've got the army ones and they're great.

b_f how'd you size on those? And it says they're sold out but you said they have some correct? So do we just contact them and ask? I'm assuming you are more up to date than their website since you usually know what you're talking about haha

would like to know how to size these as well

^^^ What do you need to size anything for? You just picked up some lifetime boots, didn't you? :)

Damn shame about what has happened to the company. I got suckered into buying the collaboration boots; the boots I received had some issues, but Dayton's customer service was fantastic. Wings+Horns customer service was shit and left me out to dry. I still wish the boots I got were OK because I probably would have worn them to my grave.

Dayton made quality boots for a decent price. They're no Viberg or White's, though. It was a pretty small outfit, hardly set up to handle the output of the aforementioned boot companies, or a bunch of insane people following some thread on the internet...

Can we have a quick summary of that 104-page thread?

There was some kind of promotion with Dayton for their service boots, which are an awesome ankle boot available in brown leather or chacoal nubuck. A bunch of styleforumers order them. Dayton has poor service over a series of many months and some customers not getting their boots for months and other boots having shoddy craftmanship. Now it looks like Dayton may be out of business.

Edited by stingray1381

I got the same size as my RW, Clarks and Chucks so a US 9,5. For now I would say they fit but I haven't really worn them yet. Right, just write Juan a mail :)

on the dayton FB and twitter page "This site is not active right now, because we all got layed off."

there have been no posts on either pages since that post

I really hope that's just a sign of a "downsizing" rather than the entire company shutting down. The boots I ordered during the promotion turned out great (even though I had to wait longer than expected) and I'd hate to think I'd never be able to pick up another pair some day :(

would like to know how to size these as well

nice b_f - is wwii impressions shipping those out again?

Come one boondocker boot fans, help a fella out and buy my boots. They are a size 10, and fit like 10. I wear a consistent 10.5D White's, Alden TB last, Red Wing, Wolverine 1000 mile. I am asking a little less than what I paid shipped, and what you will pay. PM me

6339218980_fc7c0d96cd_z.jpg

Do Hathorn boots have the arch ease like Whites boots do? I cannot find anywhere online where they explicitly state that and I am thinking of getting a pair, but the arch ease makes a difference for me. Also, what is the difference between Hathorn and Whites? They are both made in the same factory to my understanding, but the Hathorn boots are around $100 dollars cheaper. I am sure there is a difference, I am just curious as to what that difference is. Any help is much appreciated.

if im not mistaken Nick used to work for White's; hence the very similar styles. I assume both brands are quite comparable in aesthetics and quality. Not sure about the sourced leathers.

Hathorn's are made in China with US leathers or was it the other way around?

sorry illum8em; they are two sizes too big for me

Hathorns are made in the white's factory. they apparently train workers on Hathorns and move them to white's after they've honed their craft. Explorers are currently foreign made, but when I visited the factory in september they had just worked out a way to make them in the spokane factory and keep the price down at the explorer level. I'm pretty sure those leathers are foreign.

if im not mistaken Nick used to work for White's; hence the very similar styles. I assume both brands are quite comparable in aesthetics and quality. Not sure about the sourced leathers.

Hathorn's are made in China with US leathers or was it the other way around?

sorry illum8em; they are two sizes too big for me

Edited by erk

How does the quality of Nicks Boots compare to Whites or Viberg?

Similar, but the Nick's I saw last year where a little bit neater than White's in small aspects like welt stitch, etc.

Very clean, much like Viberg.

Edited by mikecch

Shoes that will definitely look better with age…

I just received my Alfred Sargent MTO from the exclusive range. The prices are a bit higher than they used to be but the quality is exceptional. The Handgrade collection is great bang for the buck, if you don't feel like paying Edward Green prices.

I chose the 724 last which has a squarer toe.

ASMTO1.jpg

Edited by coleslawyum

Shoes that will definitely look better with age…

I just received my Alfred Sargent MTO from the exclusive range. The prices are a bit higher than they used to be but the quality is exceptional. The Handgrade collection is great bang for the buck, if you don't feel like paying Edward Green prices.

I chose the 724 last which has a squarer toe.

Nice boots Coleslaw. How do they compare with C&J handgrade?

I would say similar to C&J Handgrade, although I would give the edge to C&J Handgrade vs. Alfred Sargent exclusive range. The Alfred Sargent Handgrade collection however is a whole other animal, comparable to Edward Green.

You can't go wrong with English shoes. You basically get what you pay for. If I were to list all the English shoe companies I've had experience with, from best to worst, it would be:

- gaizano & girling

- Edward green

- c&j

- Alfred Sargent

- church's

However, all these companies I've mentioned still has better attention to detail than Alden's. It'll be hard for me to spend loot on a $700+ Alden's ( maybe the cordovan tanker boot, but only because it's a classic). I hate to sound unpatriotic, but when it comes to footwear, I rather buy English.

Edited by coleslawyum

I would say similar to C&J Handgrade, although I would give the edge to C&J Handgrade vs. Alfred Sargent exclusive range. The Alfred Sargent Handgrade collection however is a whole other animal, comparable to Edward Green.

You can't go wrong with English shoes. You basically get what you pay for. If I were to list all the English shoe companies I've had experience with, from best to worst, it would be:

- gaizano & girling

- Edward green

- c&j

- Alfred Sargent

- church's

However, all these companies I've mentioned still has better attention to detail than Alden's. It'll be hard for me to spend loot on a $700+ Alden's ( maybe the cordovan tanker boot, but only because it's a classic). I hate to sound unpatriotic, but when it comes to footwear, I rather buy English.

I agree with you about detail and finishing of english shoes are better than Alden.

Can I ask your opinion about the durability and the quality of leather between Alden and other english maker that you've mention?

my boss has Church's custom grade 'consul','Grafton' and Alden indy boots 403, plain toe blucher.

He said the quality of church's leather is better but Alden shoes durability is amaing.

how do you like it coleslawyum?

Alden's definitely uses better skins than Church's. I think horween stuff is just great and whatever shoe you make from it will have great patina. I'm not sure where the English bookmakers source their skins from, but I do find them very supple and high quality especially Edward green and G&g.

In terms of durability, I think that horween cxl and cordovan is perceived to be more rugged, more American, if you know what I mean. I find my English boots more dressy, and my Alden's more casual. It's just a different vibe.

- gaizano & girling

- Edward green

- c&j

- Alfred Sargent

- church's

I completely agree. As much as I love my numerous aldens, the welt in particular always looks so shoddy compared to c&j or even trickers.