Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

It's viberg! They make boots for iron heart! Hype + hype = $700.

Pretty much. I ordered custom Vibergs from Baker's shoes back when they carried them for $300 (this was something less than two years ago). Since then they've like doubled and some in price. In the same period almost every other brand like White's, Alden, etc has gone up maybe $25-75? I'd say hype for the brand has gone to their head and is going to bite them in the ass once fashion people stop caring about work boots. Charging $700 for a work boot is definitely not a way to engender brand loyalty.

Edited by Curious_George

the popular models around here are fashion masquerading as work wear (same can be said for alot of the stuff on display here I suppose).

I dont see many boots which are fashion lead unless you are referring to Red Wing which still remain proper work boots.

Im sure Fresco has looked into buying Viberg boots befiore (but I suspect not the Iron Heart collab).

Pretty much. I ordered custom Vibergs from Baker's shoes back when they carried them for $300 (this was something less than two years ago). Since then they've like doubled and some in price. In the same period almost every other brand like White's, Alden, etc has gone up maybe $25-75? I'd say hype for the brand has gone to their head and is going to bite them in the ass once fashion people stop caring about work boots. Charging $700 for a work boot is definitely not a way to engender brand loyalty.

This is what I'm talking about. I too spoke to a former viberg custom supplier a couple of years ago and their response was basically that viberg were unreasonably hiking the price, the no longer had anything to do with them, and I should just get whites instead.

Vibergs are great boots and if you want them, buy them. I personally have some reservations about the way they do things.

Iron heart are indeed a good company making solid products. I have owned their shirts for about 4 years. I still wouldn't pay over $400 for their 'limited edition' jeans though.

Oh look, I said limited edition, hype anyone?

Pretty sure visvim has been doing alright charging $750 and up for work boots for awhile now and they're doing just fine. Although, in all honesty, not that many people here would want to hear it, visvim quality shits on 90% or brands listed here.

And to back riff, I'm getting almost all my boots redone to christy soles. Way more comfortable.

Edited by akuma no uta

Visvim work boots. Visvim work boot.

I kinda feel weird just saying it inside my head :D

I wonder what boots the Canadian loggers buy now, or does Viberg have a special pricing for folks who do real "work"?

Not hating on Viberg's - I very much agree with riff, their "work" and "hiking" boots are incredibly well-made, with cleaner construct than their American counterparts.

It's probably a good thing that us Aussies prefer English footwear - in comparison the price hikes from our favourite English brands haven't been as ridiculous.

Edited by mikecch

I dont see many boots which are fashion lead unless you are referring to Red Wing which still remain proper work boots.

Im sure Fresco has looked into buying Viberg boots befiore (but I suspect not the Iron Heart collab).

I would argue that most of the boots posted on here are fashion lead to some degree. Newer Red Wing models are certainly an example, as is the evolution of Viberg, the options available on Whites SD's aren't to make them better work boots (sharkskin???), also RRL, and Mister Freedom. Not many will do much work in Road Champs I would have thought.

I don't know... I like nice boots to work in, and no I don't mean sitting in an office either... I work in a depot, unloading trucks... Do I buy Red Wings cause they're "real" working boots?.. No Sir, I don't like RWs (only the chukkas but the quality isn't too good apparently)... I get the "limited edition" Tricker's cause they look fab and you can throw anything at them... Same with my old Grensons... Same with my (Iron Heart) jeans... :ph34r: I wear the same shoes, boots, shirts and jeans everywhere.. Nothing wrong with wanting to look good whilst running around like a blue arsed fly :P

Fuck fashion, fuck hypes, and fuck all haters... Carry on!..

Edited by Seul

Besides the chukkas, I haven't seen one pair of RWs I like... And a mate of mine has these, and says he got wet feet in 'm just walking through wet grass... That wouldn't work for me...

But that is besides the point... I'm just saying a person who does physical labour for a living doesn't have to stay away from the nicer boots and brands... I don't think anyone would consider eg.Tricker's a brand that makes boots specifically to work in, but I can tell you my Loggers will hold up just as good, maybe even better as eg. RWs... I also highly prefer Iron Heart shirts + jeans on the workfloor as they just hold up so well, plus I like how they look... I really could care less about some SuFu haters // hypes when I'm working my arse off in a freezing cold depot... :P

But I guess I'm just an IH fanboy acting out?.. Chris?.. ^_^

I wonder what boots the Canadian loggers buy now, or does Viberg have a special pricing for folks who do real "work"?

Not hating on Viberg's - I very much agree with riff, their "work" and "hiking" boots are incredibly well-made, with cleaner construct than their American counterparts.

I believe that would be Dayton boots. Much less pretentious and more fairly priced, although they too got involved with a certain fashion brand for a collaboration ($700 "work" boots, anyone?).

I don't want to apply any "fake" source of heat to it... The leather is a waxy one, don't wanna dry it out too much... I know Obenauf's "themselves" recommend drying your boots with a hair dryer, but they're spending the night in a nicely warmed place... That'll do...

beats:anticipating dirty weather (rain, mud, snow, salt)... Not using any waterproof coating or sprays to them, so hoping Obenauf's 'll do the trick. Just want to take better care of my boots... Oh: and God I love the smell of beewax in the morning...

I believe that would be Dayton boots. Much less pretentious and more fairly priced, although they too got involved with a certain fashion brand for a collaboration ($700 "work" boots, anyone?).

Interesting, their blurb on the site makes me want to know more. I don't follow this thread that religiously but don't believe I've seen Daytons on here before. It'd be good to hear from some owners of those boots or have a few pictures posted.

Who was the collab with pp?

Does anyone here have a pair of redwing 899's that they wear daily? How do they feel once they're broken in? How long did break in take? How did the soles last? Have the seams come apart and when? I need a solid work boot that will be comfortable through a 60 hour work week. I apologize if they've been discussed i detail before, but I don't really have the patients to sift through 500+ pages of shoes I can't afford, haha

Interesting, their blurb on the site makes me want to know more. I don't follow this thread that religiously but don't believe I've seen Daytons on here before. It'd be good to hear from some owners of those boots or have a few pictures posted.

Who was the collab with pp?

wings + horns.

Edited by Shoreman

Yeah, I've been following that thread on SF for the lols.

Looks like they rushed that anniversary discount decision a little bit :P

If you've got a hair dryer handy I would suggest using it to speed up the process and get better absorption (since you're basically dubbing those boots).

I don't want to apply any "fake" source of heat to it... The leather is a waxy one, don't wanna dry it out too much... I know Obenauf's "themselves" recommend drying your boots with a hair dryer, but they're spending the night in a nicely warmed place... That'll do...

Using a blow dryer wouldn't really "dry" the leather out. The "wetness" in leather is largely not extra moisture but the fat/oil between and with the fibres/fibrils.

Applying gentle heat before (and after) the application of the dubbing mixture opens up the structures a little, and not only will you get a more even dub, but also a more complete and deeper dub.

^ very nice! the katahdin boots are way under-rated.

I have a pair - from a recent fit pic:

6474697049_b9df990865_z.jpg

They're quite nice for the price, but not even close to being in the same league as white's or viberg. they also will sell direct, and usually have pretty good variety at their outlet store. Great folks to deal with.

beats:anticipating dirty weather (rain, mud, snow, salt)... Not using any waterproof coating or sprays to them, so hoping Obenauf's 'll do the trick. Just want to take better care of my boots... Oh: and God I love the smell of beewax in the morning...

You should apply it to the welt area as well. It'll be the most exposed to the said elements.

I really hate that they use the salt. It only works until -10 C anyways.

Applying gentle heat before (and after) the application of the dubbing mixture opens up the structures a little, and not only will you get a more even dub, but also a more complete and deeper dub.

You should apply it to the welt area as well. It'll be the most exposed to the said elements.

I will apply a second, thicker layer, and follow these useful tips. Thanks, lads!..

riff: really like the look of those Daytons!..

agreed with seul - they look great! i would love to see more pics! is there a model name for those? also, what are those pants riff? they look like selvage duck - yum!

^ very nice! the katahdin boots are way under-rated.

I have a pair - from a recent fit pic:

6474697049_b9df990865_z.jpg

They're quite nice for the price, but not even close to being in the same league as white's or viberg. they also will sell direct, and usually have pretty good variety at their outlet store. Great folks to deal with.