Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

that's a crazy fucking steal. never seen those before, but if it's mccoy then that is amazing!

that's a crazy fucking steal. never seen those before, but if it's mccoy then that is amazing!

These are old-school American Union-made joints - not the Japanese brand. They're actually called McCoys (I guess I added the real). Still a steal, though - they are on par with Red Wing.

My three year old Grensons. Italian WWII army boot repro. Bought 2ndhand (99 % new) on Styleforum, so don't know everything about them... Treated once with Obenauf's LP, and just last week I had some new soles put onto them. "Winter tyres", ey!..

accd025b.jpg

2985cf33.jpg

56352c1a.jpgefce7325.jpg

This may be old news, but thought it was worth posting. From Moulded Shoe's blog:

After months of speculation we have been officially informed today by Alden Shoe Company that effective December 26, 2011 there will be a significant price increase across the board on all styles.

Please plan your footwear needs accordingly.

So I was intent on my next boots being a pair of Viberg Service Boots in the mocha cxl. After speaking with the folks at Viberg, I learned that the base price of that boot is about $650. If a cap toe is added, that goes up to roughly $700.

Yeah I realize Vibergs are more than everything else, and I'm not trying to start that discussion. What I wanna know is what makes that service boot $250-$300 more than a White's SD (or other model)? They use damn near the same materials so it can't be that. Is it superior construction? Foreign demand? A combo of both?

In a way I'm trying to justify possibly buying the boot. In all honesty I just don't understand what makes their boots ~40% more expensive than similar manufacturers. I know relative worth is in the eye of the customer but goddamn.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

So I was intent on my next boots being a pair of Viberg Service Boots in the mocha cxl. After speaking with the folks at Viberg, I learned that the base price of that boot is about $650. If a cap toe is added, that goes up to roughly $700.

Yeah I realize Vibergs are more than everything else, and I'm not trying to start that discussion. What I wanna know is what makes that service boot $250-$300 more than a White's SD (or other model)? They use damn near the same materials so it can't be that. Is it superior construction? Foreign demand? A combo of both?

In a way I'm trying to justify possibly buying the boot. In all honesty I just don't understand what makes their boots ~40% more expensive than similar manufacturers. I know relative worth is in the eye of the customer but goddamn.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

It's viberg! They make boots for iron heart! Hype + hype = $700.

It's viberg! They make boots for iron heart! Hype + hype = $700.

They make an excellent pair of jeans. There's no denying it. There are a few fan-boys that are deteriorating the value of the brand by A. looking like absolute tools in their WAYWT pics and b. subsequently behaving like idiots as a result of the backlash to said pics, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that IH is all hype. I know it's the cool thing to hate on them right now, but rock a pair of their 21 oz signature jawnz and then tell me the hype is unsubstantiated. Aint happening, bra.

Edited by Shoreman

Layne, I own both vibergs & whites. in terms of built tough, they are about equivalent - i.e. bullet-proof.

Where I see the difference is that whites makes no pretence - their boots are workboots, pure & simple. You'll find some rough edges, slightly imperfect/asymmetrical welts, etc. the vibergs, on the other hand, are immaculate. Try and imagine a dress boot attention to detail, with the likes of alden's bootmakers edition, combined with that incredibly tough build.

i think this is what the premium is. so if you're in bc, and visit the viberg factory store, their "imperfects" that they sell for $300 rival just about any other brand that's sold at full retail....

Edited by riff

Riff, sadly I'm thousands of miles from bc.

I really didn't want this to turn into a Viberg iron heart hype bash... Especially considering those are far from the boots I want.

I had no idea a "plain" pair of brown leather boots would be $700. I know the quality will be superb and all that jazz... But the lady I was speaking with literally chuckled when she told me the price. These guys know they're raping and cleaning up while doing it. Such a shame cuz that service boot is a perfect silhouette.

Layne - I hear ya - I'm sure there is a certain milking of the popularity train that they're riding.

Nonetheless - you're on a forum where a pair of kudu visvim boots will run double that amount - if you're lucky... :D

I, too, think their silhouette is perfect. If white's could get something like that service boot going, i'd be all over it. but in the meantime, i'm happy with the vibergs i have and have no buyers remorse whatsoever. in the end, it all comes down to what you want.

Edit: the christy sole is probably my favourite sole :D

Edited by riff

I think the SD has a better silhouette personally, but it is all down to your own personal taste. Viberg make good looking, high quality boots, but the popular models around here are fashion masquerading as work wear (same can be said for alot of the stuff on display here I suppose). I agree with Riff that if you like it, and you can afford it, go for it.

As for the hate on Iron Heart. My 2 cents is that it's a good company, run by good people, making quality products, and it is just that a certain section of SUFU/ Superdenim feel the need to hate on it at the moment because, well......if it weren't Iron Heart they'd be hating on something because it is simply their way.