Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

When they use the half sole I think they also add a layer to the heel to keep the lift the same, that is how it looks on mine compared to others I owned. You can ask them to lower it by one layer if you want.

ah this is good to know, so lowering it a layer will bring it back down to "normal." I was wondering what their normal height was because the only thing I've had to compare them to are the Alden Roy's, and I'm sure they are a good bit shorter

any of you guys have thoughts on LL Bean Katahdin boots?

I've really enjoyed mine. Stiff and sturdy, but comfortable. I just walked up, down and around the entire city of Portland, and the dogs didn't bark once. It's also the first footwear in a long time that has elicited spontaneous comment. It's a pull up leather, so no even color tones, and lots of scuffing. The brown cork and rubber soles are wearing fairly quickly, but these are an older version, so I don't know how the vibram holds up.

alden roy boot for context^^

How did you get the speed hooks off and put regular holes? How much did it cost? I've thought about doing the same... Are the metal eyelets from Alden?

That was done at a cobbler in NYC by the original owner GregNYC. I'm pretty sure the eyelets did not come from Alden.

Edited by fre-co

Very nice Aldens Fresco.

I was talking to a local cobbler today, and moaning that I had to put my SD's away for the winter (due to their single leather sole). His solution was for me to take them to him, and he would bond a Vibram Commando front sole to them, and remove it in the spring, for the bargain price of £30. Is this a good idea?

Apart from really shitty days I wear leather soles through winter. I just avoid getting them soaking wet, and marble or smooth stone and don't wear them without drying properly.

But yeah unless its a very thin sole I wouldn't do it.

Or just wear them out quickly and get a proper resole done that's good all year round.

Nice boots & floor Fre$co!

Mega, I agree - I don't think a temporary fix would be very worthwhile, unless it's a very slim topy perhaps....

I was shooting a bunch of stuff today, and thought I'd post pics of my Caliroots Vibergs

6351295576_1a3ddfa15a_z.jpg

6350552141_21e2c50a6e_z.jpg

<p>Thanks for the help guys. The sole on them is really thin, and I was planning a resole in the new year with a double leather sole. I still might take the Vibram as a temporary solution to get me through the winter, if I do I'll post pics for anyone who might think of doing the same (be they a recommendation or a warning against).</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

That was done at a cobbler in NYC by the original owner GregNYC. I'm pretty sure the eyelets did not come from Alden.

what happened to greg btw, he used to really be an asset to this topic

^Ah that's awesome news! Hey Mike - more to consider for the horsehide contest! :)

I guess I'm posting in the "will look better with age" category:

6381113491_1d8f3b4308_z.jpg

6381117057_f3b9f0e3a1_z.jpg

6381115067_a6ff7efe25_z.jpg

Going to be hard to hold off wearing these for a couple of months! :D