Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Freco can't contact directly. Maybe due to the fact that I just signed up. Regarding the Alden Roys, there seems to not be a unanimous consensus on fit.

If possible can you measure heel/toe as well width being there an E? Basically any info regarding the fit would be appreciated. My apologies to all for having to post

the ? here. Thank You.

Russell sizing: I got a 9.5E, same as redwing and White's. Half up from Alden trubalance.

Regarding Roy sizing: I'll measure when I get home. They are trubalance, if you want a good guide to fit then check out the Alden of Carmel guide on their website.

The color on those Chippewas was what I was hoping to find when I went ahead and got the LL Beans, which are a little dark for my taste. The toe looks a little odd on the J Crew, but that might be because the photo is from a very large size, and maybe they didn't scale up the toe cap. From the overhead view, it looks like the same last as the Beans.

sufu 5.0 seems to suffer from lots of double posts

is there anything that can be done to cuts in leather boots? Ive seen some pictures and movies about leather glues that can fix cuts in leather sofas etc but not sure if these cuts can be fixed by it. I dropped off my boot with my local cobbler and instead of asking me first he decided to stitch a piece of leather over the deepest cut. He suggested to polish the boots and that way hide the less deep cuts. pretty upset about it since I wanted to try the glue option first.

m1ty_881_u31k.jpg

m1ty_241_u31k.jpg

The glue would be a pretty short-term fix though - the cut is all the way into the corium, so stitching is pretty much the only real fix left.

I can try and dig out some restorative recipes ("museum glue"), but they would be purely cosmetic, and not very practical on boots that are actually worn.

In preparation for the horse leather contest - modded my Thorogood #685 repro. so that the colour & shine of the vamp is closer to the original #685:

pb120178.jpg

pb120180.jpg

is there anything that can be done to cuts in leather boots? Ive seen some pictures and movies about leather glues that can fix cuts in leather sofas etc but not sure if these cuts can be fixed by it. I dropped off my boot with my local cobbler and instead of asking me first he decided to stitch a piece of leather over the deepest cut. He suggested to polish the boots and that way hide the less deep cuts. pretty upset about it since I wanted to try the glue option first.

Ask him if he can use a piece of black leather, so at least it matches the rest of your boot. Is your boot black cow hide? If it is It shouldn't be that hard to find.

Edited by onehundy

Hey guys, I'm looking to finally get me a pair of Russell safari boots, can I get some sizing advice? I'm usually a 9.5D in everything, should I stick to that size?

'

Here are an example of some of my boots.

9.5 Wesco

9.5 Red Wing

9.5 Viberg

9.5 Lone wolf engineers

9.5/ I could went with a 9 MF Road champs

That looks weird,are you sure the cut area is leather? Looks vinyl ish

Either way, a patch would work best. At least it's black, you don't have to worry about matching brown shades.

After a year of on and off wear, including a winter, hiking, and house/yard work, my RWs were pretty well scuffed up and dirty. So, I washed them with saddle soap, polished them up with Kiwi cordovan, and gave them a good coat of Obenauf's LP. Good as new and ready for winter!

729e9626.jpg

Well, for everyone who asked me about the USMC boots from my last post in this thread, and for anyone interested in a pair, I guess it is best that I answer in a post (because in sufu 5.0 I cannot seem to locate any the pm's or the rep area where some of you asked questions).

The rough out boots are the WWII impressions USMC boondocker, size 10D. It was recommended to size 1/2 or 1 size down in these, but this did not work out for me. I am a perfect 10.5D (with thinnest insole I can find) in White's Semi Dress, Red Wing Iron Ranger, Wolverine 1000 mile, Alden 405. A whole size down was too far and the 10D is just too snug.

The boots are great, and really sturdy. The toe is absolutely no reinforced, has a narrow profile.

6339218980_fc7c0d96cd_z.jpg

6339222800_3303c06ee1_z.jpg

Edited by illumin8em

While we were up at the cottage, i took a minute to photograph my old danner mountain lights. About 10 years old, on their third re-sole. They're semi-retired to cottage duty now, but I like them so much, it was a no-brainer to pick up the Woodlands Lownsdale version for lighter use.

I'll probably spring for a new pair of mountain lights in the near future - great boots.

6342524825_69d326827d_z.jpg

6343271410_ac4cc727b3_z.jpg

THose look great, riff. Been thinking about a pair for a while now.

@Zissuo Your gts looking really good after all the work! Kiwi colour shine cordovan?

Thanks. Yeah, just your standard kiwi polish in cordovan color.

After a year of on and off wear, including a winter, hiking, and house/yard work, my RWs were pretty well scuffed up and dirty. So, I washed them with saddle soap, polished them up with Kiwi cordovan, and gave them a good coat of Obenauf's LP. Good as new and ready for winter!

729e9626.jpg

damn makes me want to wear mine more, I shoulda gone from D to E width on these tho I think, they feel narrow compared to all my other boots... (or maybe they need more breaking in)

anyone know where to cop the waxed laces they come with?

^^^

red wing gives complimentary laces away in stores (they'll oil your boots as well). They also give them away by request online, and ship them free too!

that is very true, but only if you live in the us of a...

try finding a redwing store in belgium -_-

plus they are actually for my ultimate indies, since i completely hate the laces those came with.

anyhow, pm'd markus, since he's a redwing employee, he's gonna hook me up, will have to wax em myself though, since they stock the non waxed version, hope i don't fark them up... (so suggestions are still welcome incase i do end up doing exactly that)

can anyone with a pair of white's semi dress let me know how tall the cuban heel is? was looking at the half soles option if that makes a difference

When they use the half sole I think they also add a layer to the heel to keep the lift the same, that is how it looks on mine compared to others I owned. You can ask them to lower it by one layer if you want.