Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

They're an old pair from the 70's that I got from Smitty. Nice and broken in, but steel toe. I'm thinking I'll send those to California so I can get them back ASAP and I'll let Takeshi-San work on a brand new pair of boots for more fun. I don't know if that rationalization makes any sense outside of my 2:30 in the morning mind.

Yeah, the Japanese mark-up on English and American footwear is a little scary...

They're an old pair from the 70's that I got from Smitty. Nice and broken in, but steel toe. I'm thinking I'll send those to California so I can get them back ASAP and I'll let Takeshi-San work on a brand new pair of boots for more fun. I don't know if that rationalization makes any sense outside of my 2:30 in the morning mind.

Oooh, would love to see some pics once you get them re-soled ;)

BTW, cobblers can remove steel toes. Just one more thing for you to think about.:D

I can definitely vouch for Willies... Way back when, I had just gotten my Indy's back from Alden after a re-sole, and I saw Chicken's honey vibram version - I decided when it came time for the next re-sole, I would go that route. It was actually my wife who somehow found Willies. Anywho... the result:

6133439038_c929921619_z.jpg

6133437668_a37a34b958_z.jpg

Jermyn street was good.

I chatted with the Edward Green hand stitcher for a while. He explained how they thread the pig bristle and stitch an apron front. I never knew that all the holes have to be pierced only through half the thickness of the leather then out the edge. incredibly tricky to do and essential for the stitch to be neat and strong.

I'm going to go on a factory tour soon.

There were a couple of bulling experts including some butler academy people, who will also teach you how to manage your wine cellar and pack a suitcase......

All the shoe makers had someone down from Northampton for the day. C&J have a nice big new shop with plenty of cordovan on display.

Rolls Royce and bowler hats a-plenty

6132999417_4e78c63059_z.jpg

did you have the speedhooks replaced with eyelets as well, or did they come that way originally? Love the all eyelets and the soles!

Thanks slide! Yes - I've always hated the speedhooks and had them replaced with eyelets!

In other news... Do we have an "ugliest boot" thread? ;) Who's gonna be the first to trade in their Red Wings for these? Lol!

fdd611fa.jpg

Riff, you bad man, I swear those are even more gorgeous than the Kelso. If they're harder to take on'n'olff, it's in pursuit of beauty.

The style of pull on the heels should make things a little easier...but I agree, beautiful boots and it'll all be worthwhile...

I get mine back on Tuesday or Wednesday next week, all set for Autumn.

Tiro; theres a cobbler around my place who looks like he might be able to pull of some more delicate shoe repair work. Im going to drop off my RW 875 with him soon so ill keep u updated whether he might be an alternative or not.

Really contemplating pickin up the Mr Freedom Road Champs; I absolutely love them but for that money i can also have a custom built pair of Wesco Boss (although not my first choice) and another custom pair of Whites SD's. What do you guys think?

You should get what you want. If the best thing about boots that you are buying is the price, its not worth buying. All you're going to do is think about what you should've bought.

However, if you have mortgage payments, bills, etc, etc, you shouldn't be buying anything at all. I would suggest saving up for the pair you want. That way you'll have the pair you love and a not bunch of boots you feel so-so about.

hey..

getting a pair of boots, was thinking of the wolverine 1000 mile original series or the redwings 9014.

I have manage to try the redwings 9014 at a local store, the saleswoman helps me pinpoint my size down to a size 8D, it was a snug fit but using the feet measurement tool, im actually a 8.5. Although for other brands like converse, i wear a size 9.

She tells me i shouldnt go for a half size larger as it will cause abrasion, but at the same time there wasnt a 8.5D in the store, so im not so sure if she is trying to push me a shoe that they have size in, or 8D is truly what i should be getting.

There is no local store that stock the wolverine 1000 mile original boots, so will like some advice on sizing based on the redwing sizing i mentioned above.

lastly, are there any other makers that make similiar boots design that i should be looking into?

Really contemplating pickin up the Mr Freedom Road Champs; I absolutely love them but for that money i can also have a custom built pair of Wesco Boss (although not my first choice) and another custom pair of Whites SD's. What do you guys think?

I was debating that EXACT same thing. Two pair of custom boots would be awesome, but I day dream about the MF Road Champs all the time. After seeing Christophe's pair really worn in, that is what really pushed me to want the Road Champs. Custom boots are a great idea, but I'd be afraid I wouldn't be 100% stoked about the end result since you can't see a finished product before you buy.

hey..

getting a pair of boots, was thinking of the wolverine 1000 mile original series or the redwings 9014.

I have manage to try the redwings 9014 at a local store, the saleswoman helps me pinpoint my size down to a size 8D, it was a snug fit but using the feet measurement tool, im actually a 8.5. Although for other brands like converse, i wear a size 9.

She tells me i shouldnt go for a half size larger as it will cause abrasion, but at the same time there wasnt a 8.5D in the store, so im not so sure if she is trying to push me a shoe that they have size in, or 8D is truly what i should be getting.

There is no local store that stock the wolverine 1000 mile original boots, so will like some advice on sizing based on the redwing sizing i mentioned above.

lastly, are there any other makers that make similiar boots design that i should be looking into?

Think twice or more for buying boots downsize...its normal to wear boot 0.5-1.0 larger than your actual size , Mybe the saleswomen replay a soccer boot measuring guide.

so u normally buy ur boots with spare space inside , or a snug fit?

In the past whenever I've bought footwear that felt a little snug at first, they've ended up being given away because they are too small and often painful. I've never found footwear to give like a pair of jeans.

I think a little room isn't a bad thing.

@coleslawyum; ha , my wife told me about the same thing 'get what u like most because u will regret afterward' but I feel pretty guilty spending so much money over a pair of boots.

@attackwithstones; yeah, i know what you mean, they are really stunning.

@happyhooligan; indeed, if they are not worn much Id definitely settle with a pair of second hands at a more affordable price. I had the chance a while back; auction on german ebay for 700$; I asked for some info but they were sold soon after, bummer.