Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

The indy's are looking good Mike. Here's mine from last night at the ballgame.

330029_10150298671766730_816276729_7848691_4601589_o.jpg

I've realized I need to downsize my boots so I'm selling a pair White's SD and a pair of Loake Burford boots. I want to give you guys first crack at these. They're up in the marketplace.

DSCN0096-1.jpg

DSCN0101-1.jpg

Was interested in getting a pair of Chippewa engineers reworked by Takeshi-San. Can anyone comment on which pair to order?

Chippewa Engineer Boots:

Shorties:

USA Release:

27872, Black Oil tanned, Steel toe

27910, Brown Roughout

Japan Release:

91096, Black Rough Out

91070, Sand Suede

91065, Tan Renegade (similar to Chromexcel)

91067, Burgundy

11 Inch:

USA Release:

27899, Natural Welt, Black Oil Tanned, Steel Toe

27863, Black Welt, Black Oil Tanned, Steel Toe

97863, Black Oil Tanned

27921, Black Rough Out

27911, Brown Rough Out

Japan Release:

91071, Sand Suede

91068, Burgundy

91066, Tan Renegade

You can find some deadstock models on fleabay for dirt cheap. Most USA models can be found online for less than $150 if you spend some time looking for them.

Vintage pairs are harder to find, but also cost at least $500 and up depending on year.

Here are mine:

27911, worn for about 4 years.

chippewa2000.jpg

Early 1990's deadstock

chippewa1990.jpg

1970's

chippewa1970.jpg

Might be worth contacting R.J.&S. Parkhouse down Exeter way, as they have a number of Vibram soles listed as available options. They're closed till Thursday though - I tried calling today with a view to getting a Ridgeway sole put on a pair of veldtschoen boots.

Just a little footnote to this: contacted the cobbler today and they quoted a provisional price of £59 for a resole with a Dainite or Itshide sole. I didn't ask about the Vibrams, as I don't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to these foreign brands :D

The fella said that he was simply unable to get his hands on the Dainite Ridgeway or Medway sole, and said that this was down to Harboro (Dainite's parent company) simply having appalling customer service. Apparently he's been waiting six months for a simple order of rubber heels from them...

There's a "nominal" charge of five quid for postage once the work is done, or a little more for a tracked service. I'm going to see how my latest round of eBay sales go and look to send some boots down in a week or so, followed by the personal grail-like Lotus shoes that are on their way to me.

On a different note, anyone UK-based in need of a formal or semi-formal dress shoe really should track down some of the Alfred Sargent pre-price-increase shoes that are available at discounted prices - I needed a pair of oxfords for more formal occasions and picked up the Edgeware model for a steal and the quality is up there with the best of them. Expect big price hikes when they're reborn and revamped this month, so this could be your last chance to pick up a top drawer pair of shoes for less than the standard price of a pair of Loakes...

thanks for the comments guys

the RW 2991 boot style is supposed to be a lower profile heel and arch, then the standard RW Engineers. i tried to keep with that vibe.

they are a tad too thick!!! i am not 100% happy with the result myself. but thought it would be cool to post them up anyway :)

but whatever, they will probably look a bit better after the natural leather darkens up a bit.

Are these the oil-tanned ones? I've found it's possible to get a shine on my 97863 with a lot of work, wondering if these came that way. I don't care for the super high gloss shine but I don't like the dull look the 97863's come from the factory with.

Chippewa Engineer Boots:

1970's

chippewa1970.jpg

is a redwing 2268 worth 120$ more than a pair of chippewas?

You can get pretty much all of the chippewa's for around $150 if you look around long enough. Can you get 2268 for $270? When they are available they're usually north of $300. They look pretty nice but I don't really want the steel toe. I went with Chippewa 97863's which have a celastic toe that has a lower profile instead of a steel toe which is heavier, less comfortable and is going to look the same 10 years down the road.

If you do want a steel-toe boot the 2268's are nice if you can get them cheaper than everybody wants to sell them for.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Are these the oil-tanned ones? I've found it's possible to get a shine on my 97863 with a lot of work, wondering if these came that way. I don't care for the super high gloss shine but I don't like the dull look the 97863's come from the factory with.

I suspect that they were oil-tanned, but this pair is over 30 years old. I believe the original owner didn't take very good care of them. The leather was drying out by the time I bought them.

When oil tanned leather gets dry, its pretty easy to replace the oil with shoe cream and polish. It then takes a shine pretty much the same as any other polishable leather.

I would suggest not moisturizing your boots for awhile (like a year!) so the polish becomes a little easier to apply.

I can get them for 295 shipped from red wing directly and chipps with oiled leather can be bought for 160 or so. I'm getting a steel toe either way (my school classes recommend steel toes). So is there any glaring problem with the chipps or are they a steal?

please zakurie,

more infos about your herringbone pants.

Those are Stronghold jeans. I placed a custom order with them a few years back when Bill was still working there. I was in their shop 6 weeks ago and they still have stock of the denim, and I think they had some already made jeans in that denim for sale as well.

^ Randomly, Orvis (purveyors of massively overpriced purveyors of country clobber and other stuff) have a Stronghold denim chore coat in stock for the glorious price of £425!

Seeing mikecch post that Cat's Paw pic reminded me: what's the grip actually like with those soles? Seen a couple of pairs of vintage shoes recently with pretty new-looking Cat's Paws and wondered...

A little pair of grails came today:

scaled.php?server=718&filename=dscf3439z.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=713&filename=dscf3444o.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=193&filename=dscf3435o.jpg&res=medium

Toecaps have been pretty much worn smooth over the decades:

scaled.php?server=191&filename=dscf3438v.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=854&filename=dscf3441m.jpg&res=medium

Definitely needing a resole before wearing; the pavements of Birmingham aren't quite ready for these soles:

scaled.php?server=824&filename=dscf3436f.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=831&filename=dscf3443l.jpg&res=medium

^ Nice!

Gonna give them a re-dye?

Biltrite still has (& I think still produces) the Cat's Paw heels & (?) soles.

They're just regular SBR rubber - their Imperial/nitrile heels, AFAIK, wears better...Cat's Paw is more of an aesthetic thing rather than functional now.