Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I get it at MSRP since we have bulk order a while ago, other wise there'll e extra charge for single MTO...

What spec did you get? Curious as to how it'll compare to mine...for the record, I went for coffee burnished with dark brown lining; brown dainite sole with a natural barbour welt; brass eyelets and red pull-tabs...

As for bulling boots and their suitability with jeans, I was thinking about this the other day and couldn't make my mind up...problem I have is that I see a toecap and need to shine it :D

^^

Here's the specs:

Tricker’s Eaton 4444 Last 5 (Medium) Fitting

Color, Coffee Burnished with Dark Brown Stitching

Lining, Natural Calf Lining.

Pull Tabs, Dark brown Pull Tabs.

Eyelets, Brass Eyelets.

Welt, Barbour Welt in Natural Finish.

Sole, Dainite Sole in Brown.

As for bulling boots and their suitability with jeans, I was thinking about this the other day and couldn't make my mind up...problem I have is that I see a toecap and need to shine it :D

surely the way to wear shoes (and jeans for that matter) is 'how the fuck you like'?

Ha, which ones did Devlish get? fascinating that prices have taken such a hike recently.

I'll post photos when they arrive and you are right about prices, the SuFu effect is in full swing. Although even at 'full swing' I think that's maybe 10-12 people looking for the few pairs being sold.

I paid a little more than I would have when I began my search but they were really scarce in my size so I don't mind. They'll probably outlast me and that will make my 'cost per use' ratio be pretty damn reasonable in the end.

surely the way to wear shoes (and jeans for that matter) is 'how the fuck you like'?

Well, yeah...

I'll post photos when they arrive and you are right about prices, the SuFu effect is in full swing. Although even at 'full swing' I think that's maybe 10-12 people looking for the few pairs being sold.

I paid a little more than I would have when I began my search but they were really scarce in my size so I don't mind. They'll probably outlast me and that will make my 'cost per use' ratio be pretty damn reasonable in the end.

Agreed, both on prices and the longevity of the shoes.

People haven't got all the right searches saved yet, though... :)

All of them are pretty no-nonsense shoes/boots, or at least the ones I have are....difficult to make a comparison as mine are all pretty old, and I'm not sure how they've been cared for in the past, which would have a direct bearing on their perceived quality now.

Certainly, the Cheaney are the most eye-catching in the flesh (they have an 'aged wood' quality to them, if that makes sense) but the Lotus have finer lines to their design...the C&Js had been pretty neglected, and they're made of country grain and not zug, so different to the other veldts I have. The C&J and Cheaney both crap all over my Tecnic shoes for quality, though...

I'm pretty certain that the ones on their way to you are the same model as the aged ones belonging to my ex-army mate. You're in for a treat if they age as well as his...

Called into Robinsons shoes in Carrickfergus yesterday to look at a pair of Cheaney Peninne boots but they were sold out . They did have the leather soled veldt shoe in stock . Very similar too the Hoggs shape . The country grain wasn't as heavy as the zug used on the Rannoch but was a beautiful colour . Very stylish but would still loved to have seen the boot though . They had some of their own manufactured boots in stock . One , syled very like the AS Culford , in a burgundy cordovan was priced at £2k . Apparently a customer had paid the deposit but didnt show up to pay the balance !! Should have taken pics .

They look really good , though on second look the toecap is a bit boxy looking . Thougt I feel sometimes some of the Cheaney products , whilst looking gerat , lack substance (if you know what I mean) I commented on this before , but you cant knock their style nd presentatoin ..

As I mentioned when I visited the factory store, Cheaney aren't necessarily our aesthetic - they tend to be flasher, more obviously antiqued leathers, shinier... principally City Gent shoes, whereas, looking into the factory window, practically all of Tricker's output is Country shoes and boots. So, I saw maybe 100 different models atht eTricker's factory and could happily have worn 80 of them, whereas at the Chenaey store they were maybe 60 different types, and only 3 pairs appealed to me. Cheaney's quality looks great, but with a SuFu aesthetic, I think you have to pick and choose more.

Lots of Cheaney lasts tend to have that flat top to the toebox, with a more extreme curve, giving a slightly boxier look, that's personally why I prefer the Selkirk to the Pennine/Windermere. The Pennine is still beautiful, though.

windermere.jpg

And I don't know the model name of this boot, but it looked pretty much as good quality at the C&J Coniston which I saw the same afternoon...

Cheaney:

coniston.jpg

C&J:

realconiston.jpg

That second pair of Cheaney boots are just a non-veldt Pennine, no?

The main issue with Tricker's country boots is the lack of variety in the lasts - virtually everything is built on the 4497s 'super boot' last, apart from a couple of shoes on the 4444 last.

Ignoring the finer details, there's no practical difference between wearing a Stow or a Burford, or a Wetherby or a Grasmere, and they all have that same 'look' to them because of this.

That's why I'm interested to see if there's any visible difference between the MTO Eaton group buy and mine (below), due to them being built on different lasts:

scaled.php?server=228&filename=dscf2840l.jpg&res=medium

Talking of polishing earlier on, I gave the Cheaney veldts a once over this morning with Tricker's/Saphir cognac polish, but resisted the urge to go mad on the toecap as I reckoned it would've detracted from the shoes' natural look:

scaled.php?server=194&filename=dscf2845.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=16&filename=dscf2848g.jpg&res=medium

Those of you in the UK who use Saphir's burgundy polish should take note that nowhere seems to stock it any more (unless I've missed somewhere off my search)...I use it on most of my zug so will maybe need to look abroad.

I used the burgundy shoe cream on the Conistons this morning, and was able to get a decent shine on them even with just the cream, although the wax build-up on the toecap would've helped:

scaled.php?server=840&filename=dscf2849w.jpg&res=medium

And SLAB, I'll get a veldtschoen family pic done soon, promise!

I have asked to have the MTO in different last, but the Tricker's people are not being very friendly about that... I think 81 Last is what they used for regular longwing shoes and I want to have the Eaton or similar boots in that last, but they want to charge hefty price on minor last change.

4444 Last looks very similar to Alden Trubalance last, not a very sleek ones, but since I have big posture, that doesn't really matter.

Also, I asked Richard if Tricker's can do perforated cap toe, without the medallion details. In my opinion, that means 1 step less to do in the production, and since they claimed to be handmade, this step can be easily omitted. Amazingly they just won't do it....

anyone know if Julian boots fit true to size?

again lovely veldtschoen pictures;keep it coming guys

don't do it man, rather go the Viberg or White's route

I have asked to have the MTO in different last, but the Tricker's people are not being very friendly about that... I think 81 Last is what they used for regular longwing shoes and I want to have the Eaton or similar boots in that last, but they want to charge hefty price on minor last change.

4444 Last looks very similar to Alden Trubalance last, not a very sleek ones, but since I have big posture, that doesn't really matter.

Also, I asked Richard if Tricker's can do perforated cap toe, without the medallion details. In my opinion, that means 1 step less to do in the production, and since they claimed to be handmade, this step can be easily omitted. Amazingly they just won't do it....

Interesting to hear that they wouldn't allow a couple of fairly minor deviations from the 'standard' last and configuration.

From what I've seen already, Sargent look to have a more comprehensive offering on that front, although we're yet to see what is available come September, and at what price...

Interesting to hear that they wouldn't allow a couple of fairly minor deviations from the 'standard' last and configuration.

From what I've seen already, Sargent look to have a more comprehensive offering on that front, although we're yet to see what is available come September, and at what price...

Thats why I ordred a pair of Culford from Plumsoles . I have had all the brogue/ country boot styles I would wish for at the moment and want a more stylish profile in a boot . The Culford fits the bill and will compliment my black Stow , purchased a t keen price too . So the Malton are up for sale byt hey if I end up keeping them , fine .

Thats why I ordred a pair of Culford from Plumsoles . I have had all the brogue/ country boot styles I would wish for at the moment and want a more stylish profile in a boot . The Culford fits the bill and will compliment my black Stow , purchased a t keen price too . So the Malton are up for sale byt hey if I end up keeping them , fine .
]

Just seen the price of them on there, good call!

You not still after that pair of Tricker's that we were talking about?