Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

so my replacement white's are in.

went up to a 10.5D instead of C - I've got plenty of room in the toes now, but I'm having to lace it up pretty tight around the instep. Its a little better with my winter socks on, but I guess this is the way its gotta be.

5810280974_e9ebdece98_z.jpg

5809713361_24411fc5e4_z.jpg

here you can see how tight these are laced. kinda sucks :(

5809711627_e6569b34d9_z.jpg

That's really a small gap from what I have on mine. I'm noticing I wish the toe box was a tad bigger as I can see my big toe wiggle on the side of the boots...

Looks like it's a huge difference from a C to a D....? Does the heel get a lot bigger also?

That's really a small gap from what I have on mine. I'm noticing I wish the toe box was a tad bigger as I can see my big toe wiggle on the side of the boots...

Looks like it's a huge difference from a C to a D....? Does the heel get a lot bigger also?

it definitely does. I think it was a better fit in the heel with the C, but I didn't have enough room for my toes, which I think is worse. I may have to go with a spenco insole for the warmer months...so far its ok though. So far they're not uncomfortable at all and my feet feel great. Not much of a break in period I guess.

I think the semidress last just really isn't that great of a fit for me, I probably should have gone with the smoke jumper...which I've been thinking about getting in that dress brown. maybe I'll get some birthday money next week that'll open some doors for me.

White's suggested a 10.5 D on the smoke jumper last as well.

Holy smokes! Those boots look like a hot mess in that pic. I've buckled the top straps and believe me when I say this picture doesn't do these boots justice.

smittybat, I've been contemplating the black ones...you got pics?

Cheers!

Here's a couple pics. Not much wear yet.

DSCF0312.jpg

WP_000164.jpg

it definitely does. I think it was a better fit in the heel with the C, but I didn't have enough room for my toes, which I think is worse. I may have to go with a spenco insole for the warmer months...so far its ok though. So far they're not uncomfortable at all and my feet feel great. Not much of a break in period I guess.

I think the semidress last just really isn't that great of a fit for me, I probably should have gone with the smoke jumper...which I've been thinking about getting in that dress brown. maybe I'll get some birthday money next week that'll open some doors for me.

White's suggested a 10.5 D on the smoke jumper last as well.

Erk,

from my opinion, you just might have wanted to keep your C Width and switch the last on your Semi Dress to their "Swing" last

vs. the standard 55 Semi Dress last that you have.

I tired a pair on in the Swing last in my same exact size and def felt a different experience.

it was to much for me personally.

The Swing last is cut the same in the heel, but wider in the Toe-box area.

you can ask Denim Junky, i believe he has both to compare, and give you an opinion..

as far as the Semi Dress vs the Smoke Jumper for a better fitting lace instep area on you.

i would NOT suggest you a Smoke Jumper because they tend to have a closer laces gap cut vs. the Semi Dress which is a further spread gap.

hope some of this helps..

Erk,

from my opinion, you just might have wanted to keep your C Width and switch the last on your Semi Dress to their "Swing" last

vs. the standard 55 Semi Dress last that you have.

I tired a pair on in the Swing last in my same exact size and def felt a different experience.

it was to much for me personally.

The Swing last is cut the same in the heel, but wider in the Toe-box area.

you can ask Denim Junky, i believe he has both to compare, and give you an opinion..

as far as the Semi Dress vs the Smoke Jumper for a better fitting lace instep area on you.

i would NOT suggest you a Smoke Jumper because they tend to have a closer laces gap cut vs. the Semi Dress which is a further spread gap.

hope some of this helps..

for the semi dress I do think the swing last would have been the best option for my toe, but I just dont like the way it looks. I'm pretty satisfied with the fit I have on the 10.5 D overall. just nitpicking I guess. Its even better with my winter socks - and I hardly wear my boots in the summer so this is no biggy.

From what I was told over the phone about the smoke jumper is that the width at the ball of the foot is basically the same at the toe, which is what I need. I think the SJ last would provide a snugger fit with a roomier toe without going to the swing last.

does the height of the cuban heels of White's boots change depending on the soles combination or is it always the same height? I really have a problem rocking my semi's (more psychological then physical) and would like my next pair to have sleightly lower height. I wonder if SD with single leather sole would be a solution for my 'vertigo' complex.

I'm also very much liking the non-celastic toes on the SD's. Does Bakershoe also offer them as option? I don't see it listed on the website with SD's.

21642903.JPG

The lift is the same with different sole options. That is to say the difference in height between the sole and heel. You can request a 1/4 inch lower heel left which is basically 1 layer of leather.

I don't think Bakers do SD with soft toe. That would be a question for Kyle.

Had a few questions about the boots in my waywt from yesterday...

df988642.jpg

d32a44b6.jpg

Gorgeous boots, riff! Please keep us updated as you keep wearing them. Also - what are the pants in the first pic?

does the height of the cuban heels of White's boots change depending on the soles combination or is it always the same height?

I always asked myself the same question.

I had a pair of cuban heel SDs with the 700. Also I have a pair with 705 (or cut 700 for that matter). They seem to have just the same height. (about 5 layers after the quabaug heel.)

dsc_0080-0.jpg

dsc_0067.jpg

Then I have a pair of blocked heel SDs with single leather sole and one pair with the 700. The lift sure looks lower on the first.

dsc_0008.jpg

dsc_0165.jpg

Judge for yourselves...

Id say: if you lift the front you need to lift the back too since otherwise the boot will incline to either direction.

I asked when I was ordering mine if I could get it with a soft toe and I was told by Baker that White's wouldn't do it. It looks nice though...wtf

it's probably a Japanese market option, like horsehide...

These Lotus are no nearer to breaking in...my ankles feel bloody shredded :(

Just thought I'd share...

I feel your pain... the things we do for fashion....

did you try the old soak them in the tub and walk in them till they're dry bit...? Kind of a last ditch thing, but seems to always work...

I feel your pain... the things we do for fashion....

did you try the old soak them in the tub and walk in them till they're dry bit...? Kind of a last ditch thing, but seems to always work...

Cheers for the empathy :D

Not tried that yet, as you say it's a last resort option, but I'll see how I get on - I've walked dozens and dozens of miles in them and they're still effing bullet-proof. The fit itself is fine...

Cheers for the empathy :D

Not tried that yet, as you say it's a last resort option, but I'll see how I get on - I've walked dozens and dozens of miles in them and they're still effing bullet-proof. The fit itself is fine...

one thing white's recommended and I've used is mixing a spray bottle with 1/2 rubbing alcohol and 1/2 distilled water and spray the area's you need shaped a bit. Let it soak in and wear till dry and repeat.. They said it breaks down the leather fibers and lets them reform to your shape....

Shredded lotus feet here too - I decided they'd make a decent accompaniment to the mosh pit at Public Image last night.

Mixed blessing mind - the reinforced toes came in very handy...

Ha! Being probably even older than you I saw their first gig.

My shoes are pretty good, but they're a little loose, need insoles. THe pair Ben gave me are kinda comfy, but hurt like hell around the heel after a hot couple hours' walk...

Ha! Being probably even older than you I saw their first gig.

you could do worse than see them on the current tour - i'm not usually a fan of reformed heritage bands, but they were very impressive. they do a two hour show so there's a little mid-period padding, but it was mainly excellent.

'religion' off the first album was totally mindblowing...

Zakurie, the leather of those White's is called 'harvest' leather; not sure if this is a new type/color leather or that japanese shop's name for it. They wanted to create a lightweight semi-dress suitable for summer and loosely based on the service boots McQueen used to wear.

I sent the pictures to Kyle from Bakershoe for confirmation as he was under the impression that it's not possible to put a soft toe on semi-dress (only bounty hunter)

picked up a pair of kelso's a couple of weeks ago and they finally got here. boots are generally well constructed and are very comfortable even brand new. great pickup at a discount and -VAT. thanks for the recommendation guys.

shitty indoor pic before i try to get better pics over the weekend when i am free from work.

AlfredSargentKelso.jpg

picked up a pair of kelso's a couple of weeks ago and they finally got here. boots are generally well constructed and are very comfortable even brand new. great pickup at a discount and -VAT. thanks for the recommendation guys.

Look great , can you post a pic of the inside of the boots showing the lining and model numbers . Thanks , Mike

will do once the weekend is here. just managed to find a pretty significant defect on these though with regards to the stitching. a bit bummed but i'll probably just wear them out.[/quote

Thats a pity ! Where is it ?