Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

^^ I'm sure you'll have no problems selling a pair of size 10 White's here :P

Going to get a pair of Rigger boots custom made - anyone have experience with camel leather?

Re: AS. My local dealer said as of last year they've stopped accepting large orders in many styles, and now they only get the old batch of shoes. If I wanted a pair of boots, of any sort, my best bet is apparently to go directly to AS - seems like their modus operandi is now centred upon MTO and custom footwear. A smaller, but more upmarket operation...

HH, sounds like you should sell them. No boots should ever be that f***ked out of the box. I understand the breaking in process, (my Wesco's were a bitch as well in that regard) but I never went through that much pain unless it was an ill-fitting shoe. Sucks that you had to go through all that, but in the end, your feet will thank you.

I agree with coleslaw. However, and this is not directed at HH or anyone in particular, but just a general comment for those purchasing a pair of White's, Wesco's, Nick's etc. It should be kept in mind that these are not walking shoes. That is not to say that they should not be comfortable. Just wanted to emphasize that work boots are designed to help the wearer support the weight of, for instance, an unwieldy chainsaw with a 36" bar on a 2:1 slope, or 30lbs worth of crap stuffed into the tool bags strapped around your shoulders/waist. While the SD is not by any means a work boot, it offers similar support, as it was offered to guys who were already accustomed to wearing their SJs all day long, but whose wives would refuse to go out to dinner with them in 'those beat up old things.'

My first pair of White's SD I found to be exhausting due to the arch ease -- the arches are extremely high. At first I wasn't sure if this was due to the arch or the rounded insole (kinda like a gun barrel), or both. So I just ordered another and requested that the heel be lowered by 1/4". Hope these work better.

I agree with coleslaw. However, and this is not directed at HH or anyone in particular, but just a general comment for those purchasing a pair of White's, Wesco's, Nick's etc. It should be kept in mind that these are not walking shoes. That is not to say that they should not be comfortable. Just wanted to emphasize that work boots are designed to help the wearer support the weight of, for instance, an unwieldy chainsaw with a 36" bar on a 2:1 slope, or 30lbs worth of crap stuffed into the tool bags strapped around your shoulders/waist. While the SD is not by any means a work boot, it offers similar support, as it was offered to guys who were already accustomed to wearing their SJs all day long, but whose wives would refuse to go out to dinner with them in 'those beat up old things.'

"It should be kept in mind that these are not walking shoes."

Nope..

sorry, but i have to disagree with this statement....

i agree with all the emphasis that YES, these are work boots, and not tennis shoes or trainers..

But, i have a pair of Whites BountyHunters and walk everyday in them at least 45 blocks or a few NYC miles in them..

they are hands down some of my most comfortable and supporting shoe for standing, working, and walking... besides the Alden Indy..

i can do pretty much everything in them besides jogging or running at long distances..

i take them off at the end of the night with pure relief, and a relaxed foot.

now... this was not the case with the break in time of the boot which lasted about 14 days of nastiness..

i complained and hated the boots.. and little by little, i would start to fell the boot was breaking in.. the payoff once broken in is really something you can only understand after you break your first pair in.

regardless.. if you are sized incorrectly for any boot, your feet will hate you on the daily walk and most definitely down the long run..

HH it sounds like you definitely got the wrong size.

Sizing on White's is not easy in my experience, I have just got a shipping notice from Bakers that my pair is now on it's way. This is my third try!

I think you instinctively know if a shoe fits properly and needs breaking in or just doesn't fit. If the latter is true, you can kid yourself for only so long before your feet get fed up.

Just get rid of them and try again if they don't fit. As a wise man (Coleslawyum) said - your feet will thank you.

nice collection CTB!

Is there any good online retailer that have good selection of veldtschoen? I know AS still mass produces those.

As CTB mentions, looks like retailers are running down stock of the AS mass-market models.

You can of course still get the Cheaney Pennine (and the Windermere, which is the same boot) which look to be excellent quality. I'm sure the Shipton & Henneage Pennine is a good boot, too, - the Hoggs Rannoch may well be, it certainly looks identical to the Sargent but for the speed hooks altho I've not seen them in the flesh. The C&J Snowdon (which is calf, not zug) is the only that's not widely stocked. No one retailer seems to stock all those boots, as they're essentially competing for the same market.

Links for many of the retailers are in my Veldtschoen post.

Of course, if you're set on the Sargent, we could persuade ourselves into that group buy again. Now I have a pair of the Lotus shoes, I'd certainly consider a Selkirk-style boot, with the burgundy country (not zug) grain of that Coniston linked earlier or some other variant... Ben??

first pair look like Alden black cordovan Pitt boots from Leathersoul

here is my latest addition; Trickers in brown zug grain leather, commando sole. The previous owner tried to sandgrain the toes to achieve a used look but failed miserably. I need to give them a good polish and have the leather edges of the sole re-lacquered?

wuhi_cd7_u31k.jpg

wuhi_bef_u31k.jpg

wuhi_22e_u31k.jpg

A Fine Pair of Shoes, in Leamington Spa, stocks the AS veldtschoen models in (now) limited sizes and at a very good price:

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/alfred-sargent-veldtschoen-collection

The Shoe Healer has a few sizes left in various models:

https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/Alfred_Sargent/Town_and_Country_Collection/

Numerous other UK-based retailers have them at full price or thereabouts, but again their stocks seem to be dwindling...

CTB how do these boots run in size?

I'm a sz 7.5 in alden trubalance and an 8 in clarks DB... <---not sure if that will help.

Regarding the Tricker's veldts:

"Good morning,

Without knowing the work ticket number, which is written inside the boots we cannot state exactly the time of production.

The design/model number is 7534, and the leather is Brown Zug Grain. Unfortunately the Veldtschoen bulk production ceased here about a decade ago.

Please advise if you require any further assistance. Thank you for your interest in Tricker’s.

Kind regards,"

So they're at least a decade old...

Of course, if you're set on the Sargent, we could persuade ourselves into that group buy again. Now I have a pair of the Lotus shoes, I'd certainly consider a Selkirk-style boot, with the burgundy country (not zug) grain of that Coniston linked earlier or some other variant... Ben??

Ha, I've more than enough shit to wear now (see below) but keep me posted. Would have been nice to have a pair of veldt boots with that scallop thingy on the side, but the Lotus more than make amends for that...to be honest, I'm happy with what I've got now and would rather look out for quality vintage pieces but never say never...

here is my latest addition; Trickers in brown zug grain leather, commando sole. The previous owner tried to sandgrain the toes to achieve a used look but failed miserably. I need to give them a good polish and have the leather edges of the sole re-lacquered?

I saw those on the 'Bay, nice find! Some decent dark brown shoe cream and then polish should sort the leather out...

CTB is the new Jason Statham but with nicer boots.

And jeans, eh? ;)

CTB how do these boots run in size?

I'm a sz 7.5 in alden trubalance and an 8 in clarks DB... <---not sure if that will help.

Think the AS veldtschoen range are true to size but pretty roomy inside - Julian at A FIne Pair of Shoes or Richard at the Shoe Healer could advise but sounds to me that a UK 7 would work.

A Fine Pair of Shoes' website has the length and width measurements for the AS veldt range shown against the available sizes:

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/collections/alfred-sargent-veldtschoen-collection5

And now, these...Tecnic veldtschoen shoes spotted on eBay and won for a very good price (they were just listed as Tecnic country shoes). After Lotus, Tecnic and George Webb seem to have been known for their veldtschoen amongst other things. Funnily enough, there's no real mention I can find of AS or Tricker's when it comes to these boots and shoes, although we know that it was a (relatively) historical Tricker's model.

Not quite in the same condition (or league?) as Paul's model, these are a size down from my usual but fit fine with thin socks:

imag0141o.jpg

imag0142ni.jpg

imag0146o.jpg

imag0147p.jpg

Now to get cleaning...

Happy Hooligan,

Have you talked to White's at all about your problem?

When I called them and spoke to Rob about my fit problems they offered me a lot of options which seem to go a lot farther than just a boot stretcher.

they can stretch them out a full width without rebuilding the boot. they somehow stuff the next larger width last back inside the boot.

also, I don't know if you're opposed to spending some more money on them, but they can rebuild the boots on a larger last in both width and length. I'd try giving them a call.

Gorgeous Ben.

I will of course be wearing my Lotus this weekend... but then it's definitely a commando sole, I skidded when running around a corner yesterday, and my dignity got bruised.

Erk, not good! I dunno what I'll be doing on the resole front on the latest pairs...I kinda like the metal heel insert tapping when I walk in the Tricker's.

I'll be a vision in brown zug and vintage Evis this weekend, Paul.

Erk, not good! I dunno what I'll be doing on the resole front on the latest pairs...I kinda like the metal heel insert tapping when I walk in the Tricker's.

I'll be a vision in brown zug and vintage Evis this weekend, Paul.

Are you two boys having a zug love in at the weekend or something?

my dad wears veldtschoen shoes - he gets his from a place in nottingham... tbh they look pretty similar to the trickers, but apparently are a bit cheaper.

took a pic, but it's not the best... apparently these are about 7 years old - he wears them every day except at formal events, so they get pretty hard worn.

utf-8BSU1HMDA1NjYtMjAxMTA1MjItMTMyNi5qcGc.jpg

Happy Hooligan,

Have you talked to White's at all about your problem?

When I called them and spoke to Rob about my fit problems they offered me a lot of options which seem to go a lot farther than just a boot stretcher.

they can stretch them out a full width without rebuilding the boot. they somehow stuff the next larger width last back inside the boot.

also, I don't know if you're opposed to spending some more money on them, but they can rebuild the boots on a larger last in both width and length. I'd try giving them a call.

I haven't talked direct with White's but did with Bakers... I'm going to try to ease into them for a few days and see what happens. If not, I'll send them back and they can also do the full width stretch too. Plus, I can pin-point areas of tightness.

So that's my plan for now. Bakers has been great about it, good company to work with.

he told me the maker, but i can't remember the name, sorry - just that they're nottingham based. will check with him next time i'm over - the internet doesn't offer any obvious options searching for shoemakers in notts...

What's your dad's user name so I can rep him?

Very interested to see that info!