Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Paul T - they're a great buy, nice Argyle socks too.

Like Fresco said, it looks like there's no rush for a resole on them, just do it when it's needed and get some form of rubber heel for the interim to aid with grip. Probably best to avoid the Phillips stick-a-sole route though!

both whites and wolverines use horween, but wolverines have died edges (even the edge of the tongue), wolverines are also much darker on the rough side, its a deep brown rather then what looks like a beige from those pictures. Are there different kinds of black horween chromexcel i guess im asking, wolverine might have there own specific kind?

CXL is a particular tannage - a chrome then veg. retanned leather.

I guess Horween can make it to slightly different specs and weights, maybe even apply it to different types of hides.

I just got my shoes from Oak Street. Construction appears to be solid and I think the shoe looks great. However, there seems to be a fair amount of room around the ankle causing my heels to slip. They don't come right out of the shoe but it is still enough to notice. It happens with bare feet and with socks. It has been a long time since I have worn boatshoe-esque footwear so maybe my old sebago's did the same thing and I didn't notice? Has anyone encountered this? I really don't think I should have sized down to a 9.5, I don't wear 9.5 in anything else except some Yuketen Chukka's.

I am not shitting on Oak Street btw.

I bought a pair of their trail oxfords Vinneus was selling not too long ago in a 9.5 under the advice that he and I both wear the same size in our Roy boots (That being a 10D). There's a tiny bit of room at the end of the toe box, but the fit around the ankle is perfect and I haven't experienced any heel slippage. I do tie them fairly tight.

i am considering getting some whites bounty hunters as an alternative to my smoke jumpers (the SJ are just too much boot for the city unless there's a lot of snow and ice on the streets.) they are also very heavy.

i like the looks of the bounty hunters better than the semi-dress, but am not sure how much lighter they will be, and am wondering if any of the people who own them can comment.

i am thinking that i will go with a single midsole and a composite half sole for these, with the standard heel, and a 6" height. will these be lighter than the standard SJ (lug sole)

i also have to choose between rough out and smooth leather, but that's something i will just have to work out for myself (decisions, decisions)

Sale at Commonn , where i purchased my Malton . Same now at 30% discount !! Redwings on sale also for those interested .

http://www.commonn.co.uk/trickers-nn-malton-boot-cshade.ir?cName=shoe-sale

Seem to be a few places with reduced Tricker's at the moment. Various models including the Burford here:

http://www.peggsandson.com/brands/tricker-s

My BH's feel a bit heavier compared to my SD's. I do have a lug sole on my BH's and a double leather sole on my SD's though. For city trekking on a nice day, I prefer the slightly shorter n lighter, Semi Dress.

i am considering getting some whites bounty hunters as an alternative to my smoke jumpers (the SJ are just too much boot for the city unless there's a lot of snow and ice on the streets.) they are also very heavy.

i like the looks of the bounty hunters better than the semi-dress, but am not sure how much lighter they will be, and am wondering if any of the people who own them can comment.

i am thinking that i will go with a single midsole and a composite half sole for these, with the standard heel, and a 6" height. will these be lighter than the standard SJ (lug sole)

i also have to choose between rough out and smooth leather, but that's something i will just have to work out for myself (decisions, decisions)

Seem to be a few places with reduced Tricker's at the moment. Various models including the Burford here:

http://www.peggsandson.com/brands/tricker-s

And the suspiciously Coniston-esque Charles Tyrwhitt boots for less than half price here...

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/Sale/men's-shoes/Tan-military-boots?q=gbpdefault||MB025DBN|||||||||||||&page=2

£139...

And the suspiciously Coniston-esque Charles Tyrwhitt boots for less than half price here...

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/Sale/men's-shoes/Tan-military-boots?q=gbpdefault||MB025DBN|||||||||||||&page=2

£139...

I've been considering picking up a pair of those for a while, since they seem like a decent deal for the price. The fact they have the single greatest return policy I've ever seen doesn't hurt either.

^Order now and they'll deliver to you in hell

the_ming - I don't think the BH is what you're looking for - I doubt they're much lighter than SJ's and will also be too heavy for city use. Go with the SD, or another lighter utility shoe if you don't like that style. Just my 2 cents.

the_ming - I don't think the BH is what you're looking for - I doubt they're much lighter than SJ's and will also be too heavy for city use. Go with the SD, or another lighter utility shoe if you don't like that style. Just my 2 cents.

i think i overstated my issues with my SJ, by being shorter and having a lot less sole i'm pretty sure they will be ok. in reality i quite like a boot with some substance, and after looking hard at the SD, i think i'd be happier with a BH.

I bought this off JCrew catalog in 1994. Have not worn them much over the years but have been revisiting them. Stitched the sole and gave it some minx oil and they look like this now.

But still i wonder what brand are they ...

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg