Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Had a busy day today - popped over to see David, an old, ex-British Army friend for a catch-up and his eyes lit up when he saw the Lotus I was wearing - it prompted him to run off and produce these beauties below:

imag0104x.jpg

Then I trotted off to collect these Lotus, won on eBay for a tenner and pictured with my own:

imag0111y.jpg

Going to give these a clean and see how they polish up with some TLC.

I'm loving this veldtschoen revival. I've seen quite a few older pairs like this since the autumn - I did try on a pair almost identical to this a month or two back, but they were a bit too large. But to me, David's pair are the epitome of Shoes That Look Better With Age.

I"m hoping to unveil something similar here in a couple of days...

Where can I get a pair of the 6" smoke jumper in brown roughout? I might be able to swing by their factory this summer, if not I need to order a pair online. Either I'm completely missing them on their site or I need to look elsewhere.

Like Fresco said - on Bakershoe, select the "custom smokejumper" option. You can then pick the height, materials, lacing configuration, eyelets/hooks, sole, and other options.

Custom Smokejumper

I just got my shoes from Oak Street. Construction appears to be solid and I think the shoe looks great. However, there seems to be a fair amount of room around the ankle causing my heels to slip. They don't come right out of the shoe but it is still enough to notice. It happens with bare feet and with socks. It has been a long time since I have worn boatshoe-esque footwear so maybe my old sebago's did the same thing and I didn't notice? Has anyone encountered this? I really don't think I should have sized down to a 9.5, I don't wear 9.5 in anything else except some Yuketen Chukka's.

I am not shitting on Oak Street btw.

What smoke jumper did you get Layne, standard black or custom make-up?

I went with a custom black chromexcel very similar to what davichan posted a few weeks back, except with a steel toe. I'm still waiting on my foot tracings to get confirmed, and then I was told the wait right now is at least 6 weeks.

I went with a custom black chromexcel very similar to what davichan posted a few weeks back, except with a steel toe. I'm still waiting on my foot tracings to get confirmed, and then I was told the wait right now is at least 6 weeks.

Layne

I think you chose right

the black chromexcel leather is feeling very nice oily and glove like, it breaks in much faster then the whites oil tanned..

And i must say being a fan of brown leathers most of my life..

This is easily such a lovely shade of black with so much character going on..

I look forward to the years down the road with this to see how it really ages.

Besides it being a very easy marking leather, which could put some folks off, I can't say nothing but goodness about it...

Sure you will enjoy it!!

Grasmere boots today:

p5160124.jpg

These are looking pretty decent, I think...the lighter trim offsets the leather nicely...

so am I correct in thinking that these are in fact grasmeres? there's no difference that I can make out

Only insofar that they've the same leather and silhouette - that boot shape is found on the Country Collection's non-brogued models, the difference is all in the details and name - they could just as easily be a MTO Burford.

Nice, though.

I"m hoping to unveil something similar here in a couple of days...

:D

bount hunters are smoke jumpers but with a semi-dress toe box basically (correct me if im wrong)

Technically, it's the semi-dress last not toe box... that's just what Baker's advertises and told me.

I just got my shoes from Oak Street. Construction appears to be solid and I think the shoe looks great. However, there seems to be a fair amount of room around the ankle causing my heels to slip. They don't come right out of the shoe but it is still enough to notice. It happens with bare feet and with socks. It has been a long time since I have worn boatshoe-esque footwear so maybe my old sebago's did the same thing and I didn't notice? Has anyone encountered this? I really don't think I should have sized down to a 9.5, I don't wear 9.5 in anything else except some Yuketen Chukka's.

I am not shitting on Oak Street btw.

I didn't have a slipping problem, but I do think they run a little long. I have some brand new (worn inside for maybe 2 hours) brown camp boots for sale on ebay, but would end the auction to work out a deal with a SUFU member.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=275360

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110688754674&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

OK, maybe it's just CTB and I who are obsessed with Veldtschoen. You can certainly blame him for calling me in a bar in windswept aberdeen and vibing me up to bid on these over a dodgy wifi connection!

The vendor reckoned these are 1940s. IN any case, they are classic Lotus Veldtschoen, the kind CTB's mate reckons were typical privately-purchased officers' shoes.

lotusmain.jpg

Note the classic veldtschoen scalloped, 'batwing' side shape. On these, you notice the lower section is proud, stitched on top of the upper section - which is not the case with more modern veldtschoen boots I've seen.

lotues2.jpg

The leather's rippled, but there are no creases. Reckon I will need shoe trees though.

lotus1.jpg

Incredibly, I reckon these are still the original laces - check out the tips, which match the zug grain!lotus4.jpglotus5.jpg

Beautiful detailing - these have a bellows tongue, with a strip of the zug grain in the middle which is an integral part of the uppers, and a thinner tan leather down the sides, which is more flexible. TOgether they ensure no water can leak in through the tongue. You'll note also that on these shoes, when you tighten them, there's no gap, again to minimise water ingress.

On the sole, I could clearly read "Lotus", with the tagline "guaranteed waterproof" underneath. But now I've worn them for the afternoon I can no longer see it.

lotus6.jpg

Thanks to ben for the hand-holding! These are a wide fitting, and I think I need insoles for wear with thinner socks. I also reckon I'm going to have them resoled, these are very skiddy indeed on tiled floors.

^^ Very, very nice purchase Paul T!

Can hardly believe they're 70 years old, that's some tough zug-grain leather!

So since both you and CTB now have uber veldtschoen boots, I guess the group buy for veldt shoes is no more?

i need some help with the different leathers, horween, calf, water buffalo and bullhide. could anyone enlighten me on the pros and cons of those? building a white's in 1 day's time. thanks!

^^ Very, very nice purchase Paul T!

Can hardly believe they're 70 years old, that's some tough zug-grain leather!

So since both you and CTB now have uber veldtschoen boots, I guess the group buy for veldt shoes is no more?

Personally, altho' i'm not in so much of a hurry now, if we felt that there were a couple of people really up for it, I would be interested in pursuing it. Sooner or later, I will get some veldtschoen boots, and it would be nice for the money to go to Alfred Sargent.

i need some help with the different leathers, horween, calf, water buffalo and bullhide. could anyone enlighten me on the pros and cons of those? building a white's in 1 day's time. thanks!

Horween CXL is always a safe bet.

The water buffalo caught my attention initially, but I am very concerned by it's thinness (so thin it HAS to be lined?) - I don't understand why, given the pricing, they can't use a top-grain or even full-grain hides with decent weight...

Leather from big/older animals (elk, bull, buffalo, elephant, etc) don't do well when split too thin, generally speaking.

Personally, altho' i'm not in so much of a hurry now, if we felt that there were a couple of people really up for it, I would be interested in pursuing it. Sooner or later, I will get some veldtschoen boots, and it would be nice for the money to go to Alfred Sargent.

Righty, cheers mate.

I'll be hovering around if the projects gets started again :)

Fantastic find Paul .What type of sole do they have ?

THanks, Mike.

I suspect these have had new heels. Not a huge amount of wear on the leather soles, but I think, rather than go for Topys, I might simply get shoehealer to add a commando sole, same time as I get some work done on my Tricker's.

sole.jpg

100_0229.jpg

i love what's happening to these. treatment soon to come.

Those are coming along nicely. I'd like to see more of that reed organ in the back. (not much for the pedal carpets though)

Paul, those green laces with brown tips on brown shoes are sharp. Insiring for a future project.

Things of beauty

What he said!

Paul, if those turn out half as well as the ones I saw on Sunday then they'll be impressive as hell. Might take a decade or so, though!

Think the commando sole would be a good call, the chunkiness of the (worn) sole complemented the worn ones beautifully, and fits well the purpose of the shoe. I'll be getting the Lotus boots resoled with a commando when the time comes as the heel edge of the Victory sole in place has worn down noticeably after a few dozen miles walked, and it makes sense to get the ubersole if the number of potential resoles is limited...

Having the apparently original laces is a nice touch, I suspect David's were replacements whereas the Lotus boots have waxy laces that are matched to the boot leather:

imag0106f.jpg

copyofimag0057.jpg

The 'batwing' construction on those Lotus shoes is the same as that on David's, and also on my C&J Arran, with the lower section stitched onto the top part.

Yeah, I'd consider any idea on its merits but am in no rush at all - although I'll be keeping an eye open for bargains :D

Having seen more and more MTOs online, both single and group orders, I can't help but think that a lot of the time that the new designs are just gilding the lily, and not actually adding much value to the original design apart from a natural welt (guilty as charged with the Eatons, m'Lord!) and a different colour scheme...

THanks, Mike.

I suspect these have had new heels. Not a huge amount of wear on the leather soles, but I think, rather than go for Topys, I might simply get shoehealer to add a commando sole, same time as I get some work done on my Tricker's.

sole.jpg

Paul, if it is simply because they are slippy, I would keep the sole as is and either have a rubber heel piece or change the heel. It would be a shame to have them resoled so soon I reckon.