Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Guest denimefreak21oz
WTF did you do to those boots? I'm all about boots looking better with age, but with respect, I think those Roy Boots are wearing terribly and look like shit. Especially considering how much they cost! A pair of White's, WESCO's, Viberg's, RedWing's, Chippewa, Etc. would never look like that after less than a year of wear.

don get mad ..dude..eltopo..r some cool guy..searching for gem in old miners

Guest denimefreak21oz

thanks for nice pic ..eltopo..n ur way of cuff fold n suspender.is turn me in, n make me realise that its so cool looking in that kind go vintage style.

I'm all for wearing boots hard and not babying them...but I'm also all for wearing the right shoe for the job and considering those Roy's look on the brink after 6 months I would say you should consider finding a pair of shoes more up to whatever specific task your doing (wandering around mines, spelunking, grave robbing, whatever).

sorry, but; there is is a difference between "shoes that look better with age" and shoes/boots being abused, simply because somebody does not care/does not have time to let them age over time? good boots/shoes are made to last and the craftsmanship in them desrves ( at least some) respect

my 3 cents

Thanks Switch,denimefreak, and Rivet!

Yeah I love the way they look. I just oiled them up and they turned a incredible dark with a slight cherry undertone to them. Yes, a lot of the scratches ect came from my trip to Cali then to Florida. I didn't want to oil them up till I got home. What does "does not have time to let them age over time" mean? Sorry to some people that are pissed that I abused my boots, I like to do shit in my boots not sit in front of a computer or do footwear changes constantly. I don't go around intentionally trying to fuck my boots up. I wear my these boots 6 days a week. It is my understanding that Chromexel leather breaks in quickly. Abuse? Most boots are made to be worn. I am glad these broke in quickly and are super comfortable. I need to get them resoled and most people I talked to say after a year most crepe soles need replaced. It isn't that I don't care for my boots but if these wear out in the next couple years I will get another pair of boots. $445 for a pair of boots that will last me a couple years is well worth it. I had the choice to get some RedWings and I probably will at a some point this year. Really excited so many people care so much about how I treat my boots and my shit. " I know, I know" it is a forum. I will post post oil pics soon, they look 100x different.

I just ordered a pair of the Quoddy Grizzly boots with Chrompak leather bottoms, can't wait to "abuse them" or should I baby them and only wear them on carpet and out to dinner or maybe I won't have time to let them age? God I love Superfuture.

Also I saw this article on someone else's Roy's before I bought my boots. I loved the way they looked so I bought them. Click here for the article:

"$445 for a pair of boots that will last me a couple years is well worth it"

Guess that sums it up - Dropping that kind of scratch on a pair of boots that will last you for a few years is within your expectations, then you're all good. It's your $$$ and your assessment of the kind of utility you expect from your gear. Again, you're buying a pair of Quoddy grizzly boots for $400 and I suspect they'll be comfy and you'll kick the crap out of them as well.

On your quote about wearing your boots on the carpet and to dinner - I think you misunderstand me. The 'Roy Boot' is produced by Alden for Context. While I've never bought anything from these guys, it's pretty fuckin clear that they are selling expensive, high end gear for dudes that want to wear them out to dinner, drinks and in places that have carpeting. You would NEVER see a serious workman in a real bang around worksite wearing a pair of $445 boots that will only last a couple of years.

Invest in a pair of WESCO Jobmasters and look less cool - and you'll have them for decades.

WTF did you do to those boots? I'm all about boots looking better with age, but with respect, I think those Roy Boots are wearing terribly and look like shit. Especially considering how much they cost! A pair of White's, WESCO's, Viberg's, RedWing's, Chippewa, Etc. would never look like that after less than a year of wear.

yeah, honestly, all he has to do is wipe em down, and apply some polish/conditioner. they'll look great.

What (if anything) is the quality difference between Whites and Hathorn?

whites are sewn at whites and Hawthorns are sewn elsewhere, overseas think but not sure. I think they're both finished though at Whites.

Moulded Shoe is great - make sure you speak with Ronny and have them fit you on the Modified Last. Once they get your size correct, see what they have in their Make-Ups and what they have in the pipeline.

There are also a lot of great places in Brooklyn but I'll have to defer to others here for specifics...

thanks a lot mike147

anybody got an idea on how much will cost alden boots (cordo/ no cordo) on the modified last?

The Burfords were a bargain and a half, and the seller also had a pair of (I think) Stow which I got for the same price - just waiting on delivery of those - no way was I missing out on a couple of pairs of T's for £180 in total...

Are you keeping the name of the seller to yourself? :)

Are you keeping the name of the seller to yourself? :)

Goldtortoise, FWIW - she was selling a pair of Burford in black and mentioned in the listing that she had a couple more pairs to be listed...Got speaking, saw some pics of them, and Bob's your uncle...All sold out now, sorry!

They were Stow, the other pair, by the way...in acorn calf.

dscf2134.jpg

i don"t think so..

i picked them up at the L.L.Bean flagship store in freeport, maine.

they retailed around $200 but i got them marked down at $90

they were a limited production for the signature label.

i can gather more details and post more photos later.

thanks to ben for the tk maxx alert. I have actually not owned any shoes, as opposed to boots, for six or eight years.These are Chapman & Moore - I love the natural soles, the leather, if they had brass eyelets they would be close to my fave country brogue style. For £64, now my feet won't overheat in the summer.

newshoes.jpg

what - the Chapmen & Moore? I might be able to pick up, or CTB, they're at a chain of outlet shops called TK Maxx. Mine were the last UK 8, my local shop had a tan in 10, maybe 9 too.

They seem to come with black, tan or a slightly antique tan (like mine) uppers. Good quality uppers, big storm welts and natural soles - the soles aren't quite as well finished as the uppers. They are supposedly half retail. I think the quality looks better than Loake brogues but sole, welt etc not up to Tricker's.

Take a look, see what u think. I'm on my way out the door, back in around five hours. Post on here, w your UK size, I can nip back, maybe Ben can too. Bear in mind the cost of postage of course.

p1110015y.jpg

p1110014a.jpg

p1110016q.jpg

p1110017.jpg

p1110018p.jpg

p1110019m.jpg