Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

^ @ attackwithstones - incredibly, they were offered for only a grand (relatively speaking, that is). With proxy fees, we're talking approximately eleven hundred.

I found the Ryesville Engineer Boots sometime last year when they were readily available. I guess I should've jumped at the opportunity. Oh well, guess I'll have to try and purchase Road Champs or join the Viberg group. There are also some other amazing Japanese boots I'm eyeballing. Will provide info soon.

Cheers!

keep us posted Marineabilly; u seem to have a nose for finding these engineer beauties

some amazing boots again the last few pages

djarrow, i almost choked when i saw your cordovans for sale. if they were a size 8 I would have bought them in an instant

Ultimate jumpers look wonderful, im sure they will age great (just as the Roy boots)

Buckles from Hukurokuju.

One thing I can't stand is how cheap some of the hardware is on the lower price boots. Since Takeshi Okuyama also happens to have hardcore buckles, I decided to switch them out on my budget priced Chippewas. He has 2 versions of the buckles, a 90's Wesco and a 60's Chippewa. These are the 90's Wesco.

Buckles.

buckle1.jpg

Before.

buckle2.jpg

After.

buckle3.jpg

Voilà.

buckle4.jpg

Buckles from Hukurokuju.

One thing I can't stand is how cheap some of the hardware is on the lower price boots. Since Takeshi Okuyama also happens to have hardcore buckles, I decided to switch them out on my budget priced Chippewas. He has 2 versions of the buckles, a 90's Wesco and a 60's Chippewa. These are the 90's Wesco.

Buckles.

buckle1.jpg

Nice Coleslaw! Did you do the handiwork yourself (I assume you did since you're pretty good with leather)? You have made that cheap pair of Chippewas into a thing of beauty with the hand dyed leather and now beautiful buckles. Must spread and all that.

His buckles are very high quality, and he is very responsive and helpful when you contact him. I ordered a set of solid brass buckles from him for the Wescos I am having made (they're not here yet), and he actually sent me two sets because of some confusion. One was a solid brass in a matte finish (which are probably being attached to my Wescos right now), and the high polish brass plated nickel buckles which I still have.

I think the sets I have must be the 60s Chippewa's based on the more pronounced curve and the little lip at the edges.

<a  href=http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5054/5427910191_b88a363175_z.jpg' alt='5427910191_b88a363175_z.jpg'> Picture 654 by ray.wendolowski, on Flickr[/img]

Very Nice!! So Okuyama sells them seperately now? I contacted him way back when he first released the buckles and he said you'd have to send the boots.

Thanks for posting!

Edit: Ironically, I just posted these production boots that look Okuyama-esque and I'm really digging the buckles on them

gm.JPG

Very Nice!! So Okuyama sells them seperately now? I contacted him way back when he first released the buckles and he said you'd have to send the boots.

Thanks for posting!

Yes, and they are not that expensive, relative to the quality. He only charged me 3200 yen, including shipping, for a set. The buckles themselves were only 2000 yen. I'm wondering, will he go back to not selling them separately if he gets bombarded with orders?

Edit: Oh that double prong buckle is pretty nice too, and I like the "quilted" strip on the shaft.

hehe perhaps we better rename this thread to 'shoes that are going to look better with age'

Indeed :D

Every evo needs a starting point, and just posting pics of battered boots give no indication of their starting point. Same as with denim - it's good to see the jeans in their raw state, then watch them get battered over the months.

Plus, people posting their boots-to-be-worn gives other people a heads-up on stuff that they might not have thought about, and also where to score the aforementioned boots.

Keep on posting, I say - the thread has hardly suffered from postings of new or newish footwear...

Indeed :D

Every evo needs a starting point, and just posting pics of battered boots give no indication of their starting point. Same as with denim - it's good to see the jeans in their raw state, then watch them get battered over the months.

Plus, people posting their boots-to-be-worn gives other people a heads-up on stuff that they might not have thought about, and also where to score the aforementioned boots.

Keep on posting, I say - the thread has hardly suffered from postings of new or newish footwear...

The problem is that we know the starting point already. If Ive seen 1 new pair of Indys, 1000 mile or Red Wings in this thread Ive seen another 20. I just think that the whole Superdenim forum is becoming a place to show what people have just bought. You can appreciate something without having to own it.

I would imagine that everyone pretty much already knows what specific things look like, By all means, if its a bit unusual and clearly would look better with age then post away (a la marinebilly and coleslawum). I just dont see the point of posting brand new Red Wings solely for e-props.

I will post some pics of my engineers soon

The problem is that we know the starting point already. If Ive seen 1 new pair of Indys, 1000 mile or Red Wings in this thread Ive seen another 20. I just think that the whole Superdenim forum is becoming a place to show what people have just bought. You can appreciate something without having to own it.

I would imagine that everyone pretty much already knows what specific things look like, By all means, if its a bit unusual and clearly would look better with age then post away (a la marinebilly and coleslawum). I just dont see the point of posting brand new Red Wings solely for e-props.

I will post some pics of my engineers soon

But who's to define what's "unusual"? Someone who's just bought their first pair of RW may be a future coleslawyum et al...and who are any of us to shoot them down for getting excited about their new purchase? It's far easier to pass over the posts and boots that don't appeal to each of us...

Should there only be a few fits pics of each model of denim in the relevant threads?

The same could be applied to me posting a few pages ago - should I desist? Regulars on here who've seen my jeans will know that my boots will most likely also look better with age, and isn't that what it's all about?

And this whole website is consumer-driven, by its very nature, no?

Maybe we just need a 'Recent Purchases' thread here on the denim board? I think it could catch a lot of the things that people seem to buy with some frequency. Then the other threads could just be for the more unusual items and for 'evo' pics.

I actually don't really care either way but just throwing it out there.

I kinda like keeping everything in one thread. It's too much of a time suck to try and follow a bunch of them (and I spend way too many hours clicking around on SuFu as it is). Yes, the purpose of the thread is to show footwear with some nice aging, and yes, there's been a lot of enthusiastic posting of brand new stuff. Heck, my only picture posting was of a pair that were fresh out of the box, so I'm as guilty as anyone.

However, I think this thread is still one of the best, and one of the most active. Even seeing tons of new boots is good, I think. We get to see them in different light, with various types of outfits, in lots of different environments. We get to see new angles and how they look when people of different skill levels take pictures. Any shoe will look good with perfect lighting, great camera equipment and a pro behind the lens, but only the truly beautiful will look good in bad light with a rank amateur wielding a crappy p&s.

I used to think that the White's SD looked clunky, but seeing them in a dozen different variations from a dozen different angles made me reassess the boots and now I love them. I might not have had that change of heart if we were only posting pics of pairs that were old and beat up. I guess what I'm saying is that even if it doesn't always match up to the original intent, this thread is pretty great as it is and I wouldn't want it to change, unless it was to entice people to post even more pics.

t.

His buckles are very high quality, and he is very responsive and helpful when you contact him. I ordered a set of solid brass buckles from him for the Wescos I am having made (they're not here yet), and he actually sent me two sets because of some confusion. One was a solid brass in a matte finish (which are probably being attached to my Wescos right now), and the high polish brass plated nickel buckles which I still have.

I think the sets I have must be the 60s Chippewa's based on the more pronounced curve and the little lip at the edges.

Nice, what are you having them make? I recently ordered a pair with the MP toe. I've been waiting to hear back from them about using custom white stitching for the upper, but if hukurokuju is selling brass roller buckles now, I may just order some of those and compliment them with black or brown stitching on the upper.

Could you tell what email address you used to get in touch with him about purchasing these?

Do it!

Hukurokuju shoudl actually also do their own boot IMO. His mods have a very definite aesthetic of their own. It would cool to see a boot made top to toe with that approach.

Hopefully buy summer this christy sole will be worn down enough to warrant their trip to Hukurokuju. A in house boot would be awesome, However I've been eyeing either a pair of bounty hunters in brown chromexcel or a pair of wesco bosses with the patrol toe. Just wish I had a spare 600 dollars layin around.

Is it possible to order a pair of wesco bosses with just a double leather sole?

You could send them an email and inquire. It seems like they ought to be able to do so. However, they offer #700's and #705's in a shade of brown that would have the same low profile as a second leather sole with much more functionality.

Computer won't allow a "reply with quote," but this is in response to:

Alex3000: "Is it possible to order a pair of wesco bosses with just a double leather sole?"

Yes - I contacted Wesco a couple (few?) years ago about it and the salesman said it was an option, but it's not something they advertise.

Also, based on the Free & Easy my wife sent out here to AFG, it appears that Okuyama does make his own footwear. Not 100% sure, though.