Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

CTB, you are a bad man, sending me details of where to cop boots cheap, and then posting those lovely pics.

SOme people would say you are kind, instead i know you are the evil voice of temptation...

(repped)

Paul, my sincerest apologies :D

You're in London, right? I'll show you the boots in person over coffee next time I'm down...

IMO the Australians got it right with the elastic sided boot.

Just wanted to add a few more in my current rotation. I've always been a big fan of the chelsea boot but for years opted for cheap boots and wore them to work (business attire) mostly in the winter and they lasted a season or two. A few yrs back, I came across the RM Williams thread at styleforum and was hooked.

Both are RMW B543, the standard Yearling Craftsman in blk and chestnut with leather sole. I bought both from Barry at bootsonline.com and couldn't be more pleased with the experience. He processed both orders quickly (out the door in 1-2 days tops) and they were at my door from AUS to in 5 days.

I had previously tried on the boots at the Manhattan RMW store so I knew that the AUS 10H (which is a US 11E/wide) was perfect for me. They are so damn comfortable I can't bear to not wear them. The craftsman works as well with denim & khaki as they do w/business attire, IMO. As an added bonus, I travel frequently and they are great at TSA checkpoints.

They ended up at ~$250 shipped ($242 & $252 ordered 3-4 weeks apart), which is a steal for handcrafted footwear...especially handcrafted boots...especially handcrafted whole cut boots! At the RMW Store in Manhattan, this model runs ~$450-$500.

Sorry for the above novel...here are the images. Note, these are coming up on 2 yrs old now with an average of probably one day per week for both pairs. I take very good care of them (shoe trees even while traveling and approx once a month clean, condition & polish and I rarely wear the same pair on consecutive days). I use the RMW branded leather conditioner and kiwi wax polish.

DSC_0380_edited-1.jpg

While somewhat blasphemous, I made the decision this fall to add a topy-style Vibram 2337 half sole so I could wear them safely right through winter. I did the black pair first and was so pleased with the work, I had the cobbler do the chestnut as well. In the pic below, the chestnut pair is still leather only and the blk has the half vibram sole.

DSC_6931.jpg

DSC_6914.jpg

From the side, it's virtually impossible to tell it has a vibram rubber sole added. Still sleek and doesn't take anything away from the aesthetics of the boot, IMO.Clearly not for everyone but with the winter we're having here in Boston, I think I made the right choice.

DSC_6940.jpg

Probably a year of wear here, pictured along side a pair of Blundstone chisel toe boots (a little older than the RMW's).

DSC_0388.jpg

Lastly, these are my go-to casual boot. Big fan of the Australian elastic sided boot as I'm constantly donning and doffing to take out the dog. Brutus is a pug/beagle mix (Puggle) and is now 4.5 months old. That means lots of trips outside and if I had to lace up boots every 1.5-2 hrs, I'd shoot myself :)

DSC_4326-sm.jpg

OT...pic of Brutus for reference :)

DSC_7700sm.jpg

It is probably something like this from bakers:

Smoke Jumper

Edge Brown, Counter Leather Brown Smooth, Toe Cap No Thanks, Upper (Shaft) Leather Red Dog Smooth, Size - Width E, Celastic Toe Box Double Celastic Toe, Hardware Antique Eyes & Hooks, Midsole Single, Toe Cap Leather Color Does Not Apply, Lace Design Plain Toe, Sole Leather, Height 8", Leather Liner No Thanks, Last Standard, Toe Vamp Leather Brown Smooth, Size - Length 9, Steel Toe No Thanks, Top Cut.

459$

maybe a late-pass thought this should also belong in here...

Viberg Boots x Iron Heart Works Inc.

Viberg, a Canadian manufacturer of high quality boots coveted all over the world, has teamed up with Iron Heart to create a spectacular piece. The toe cap of this boot is made of black leather, the rest is a deep blue hue, and of course it features Iron Heart's signature denim. And unlike other boots, you won't need to worry about your jeans bleeding on the leather.

viberg-iron-heart-boots-3.jpg

viberg-iron-heart-boots-4.jpg

viberg-iron-heart-boots-2.jpg

5403109050_f17fd8811e.jpg

5402510643_abe562ba44_z.jpg

The looks are pretty fugly, and I shudder to think how much they'll cost. I almost have trouble respecting Viberg because their prices are so fucking ridiculous.

The first thing I thought when I saw those was HYPE. Stick Iron heart on anything and people will get excited.