Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I am interested in getting a pair of Whites Oxfords. I know Morse has a pair that I have plenty of pictures of but I haven't seen any others. Does any one have a pair in regular leather or black roughout instead of distressed rough out? Also if anyone else has any other suggestions for something similar? I am looking for seething casual and comfortable to wear when I don't want to wear boots. Thanks!

rtook pix while still hot off the UPS truck. i've been wanting some hXc boots, so i got these for winter__ & as official globe trekking boots, as well. 'had a bit of apprehension on the Vibram 100 [[w/c i call "Fire Walker"], but fcuk it, i can always have them re-soled to whatever.

wsjvamp.jpg

wsjx.jpg

wsjlugs.jpg

denimjunky- Those are lovely. I especially like the all brass eyelets. The leather's not really that dark, though, right? I would have thought they were black without the description.

By the way, didn't you just order a pair of boots from William Lennon?

brownmetallic- That's dedication; pics before even lacing them up and trying them on! Great shot of the sole, too. I love the brass screw construction.

xchen- Fabulous captoes. I really like that color.

Love this thread...:)

I haven't seen the ones you are talking about but I have Skye, as does coleslawyum, I have sandown and I bought snowdon for my old man. The islay looks bloody nice, a bit more country than my Skye with the grained leather and dainite sole.

hi fresco, i love the skye! wish it came with a rubber sole as standard and i would be all over it. youre right the islay does look nice and am seriously tempted. i was thinking about getting some of the kudu indy boots from leather soul but now im not sure what to do.. should i ship something all the way over here when i have some great boots at my doorstep? you had some indys didnt you, how do they compare to c&j?

pic of islay

islaygrainemarronhd.jpg

islay can be seen here in the latest catalogue next to your skye. the lewis is a suede boot with a side zip and it pictured next to your dads snowdon. i was told it is the first zip up boot they have done.

bootsk.jpg

I am interested in getting a pair of Whites Oxfords. I know Morse has a pair that I have plenty of pictures of but I haven't seen any others. Does any one have a pair in regular leather or black roughout instead of distressed rough out? Also if anyone else has any other suggestions for something similar? I am looking for seething casual and comfortable to wear when I don't want to wear boots. Thanks!

Aquaphor had a pair he posted awhile back:

Here are some quick fit pics (Pls excuse the weird pants)

L1001082.jpg

L1001083.jpg

L1001085.jpg

L1001088.jpg

L1001089.jpg

I'm know they're really expensive compared to the regular SD boots, but I'm really

loving the convenience of these oxfords.I don't have to go through the hassle of doing

laces every time I take off or put on the shoes!

I just got my White's Retro Oxfords. I originally wanted the Block heel but screwed up the order and ended up with the Standard heel. After wearing it for a day I've grown to like the curved heel. The heel profile is pretty low so it's not really that noticeable with jeans.

It came with puffy round black laces which I didn't like, so I changed them to Brown Kiwi laces which looks much better IMO.

L1001066.jpg

L1001067.jpg

L1001069.jpg

L1001071.jpg

L1001081.jpg

Red dog is...WOW!

denimjunky- Those are lovely. I especially like the all brass eyelets. The leather's not really that dark, though, right? I would have thought they were black without the description.

By the way, didn't you just order a pair of boots from William Lennon?

I know I have sinned, father.

Btw, the dress leather brown is really dark. The chrome excel is a lot lighter.

I prefer them darker....

hi fresco, i love the skye! wish it came with a rubber sole as standard and i would be all over it. youre right the islay does look nice and am seriously tempted. i was thinking about getting some of the kudu indy boots from leather soul but now im not sure what to do.. should i ship something all the way over here when i have some great boots at my doorstep? you had some indys didnt you, how do they compare to c&j?

It's good to see the islay next to the skye and the different last shape.

Comparing the indies I have to C&J: My indies are the old type before the price was raised and the quality improved. C&J are a different breed, the leather is thicker and softer, it ages well compared to the indies which I would say are pretty mediocre in quality.

If I compare my Alden Roys which are far better quality than the indies, I would still say that C&J are far superior in terms of craftsmanship. I don't want to bash Alden and I love my Roys for what they are but there are imperfections that you do not see on C&J. Also I'm in love with the last that C&J use on the Skye. It is however in no way a work boot.

This won't affect your decision but the leather soles of my Skyes are far superior to trickers and Alden, equaled only by Whites in my experience.

If I were you, based on craftsmanship alone, I would choose C&J over Alden. If you are in London, go down to Jermyn street and visit the shop, they are really nice chaps (and ladies).

I have just got the Skye and have the Coniston. Superb boots. Also have the Roy and agree with all above. The Northcote looks good as well.

On a slightly different topic these Thorogood look ridiculously overpriced at £175 from oipolloi - they seem to be on Amazon for $119 in a different colour! Or am I missing something? Hope not as I just ordered them from Amazon.

http://www.oipolloi.com/Store/OiPolloi-DisplayBrands-241-thorogood.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QJ4I6Q/ref=oss_product

I have just got the Skye and have the Coniston. Superb boots. Also have the Roy and agree with all above. The Northcote looks good as well.

On a slightly different topic these Thorogood look ridiculously overpriced at £175 from oipolloi - they seem to be on Amazon for $119 in a different colour! Or am I missing something? Hope not as I just ordered them from Amazon.

http://www.oipolloi.com/Store/OiPolloi-DisplayBrands-241-thorogood.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QJ4I6Q/ref=oss_product

imo it's an complete different model, isn't it?

2493-3-L.jpg

5117FGnvFGL._AA300_.jpg

don't ya think?

those C&J boots look pretty nice; I guess they are more expensive than Trickers?

Btw does anyone have comparison shots of distressed roughouts and brown roughouts? Ive seen some pictures of boots with distressed roughout that seemed almost tan in color but I believe it was riff? who posted his pair which was more like a mid brown color

I know I have sinned, father.

Btw, the dress leather brown is really dark. The chrome excel is a lot lighter.

I prefer them darker....

Haha, no sin there, dude. I was more interested in your impressions once you get them. I have these:

022.jpg

There's not much info out there on William Lennon boots, so it will be nice to get someone else's perspective on them.

I contacted them also last week, I'm supposed to measure my feet so they can advise a size. Denimjunky; what size did you get compared to Red Wing, Whites, alden,...?

medaillon cap toe, military vintage look, half soles and the price!

the only 'problem' i see are the rubber heel soles that look pretty thin. The way I walk, I'll have them grinded in no time.

btw a similar boot in White's/Alden will easily cost you 450-500$.

medaillon cap toe, military vintage look, half soles and the price!

the only 'problem' i see are the rubber heel soles that look pretty thin. The way I walk, I'll have them grinded in no time.

btw a similar boot in White's/Alden will easily cost you 450-500$.

Re Aldens. Absolutely. And I like the fact they have a real Brit workboot aesthetic, I wish I"d seen their Derby before the Grafters - the leather looks a bit less processed. But if denimjunky or fresco hold my hand, I might call and try and get the waxy tan 178 boot in time for Christmas...

lol

btw here are some more reviews/pictures & comments about the WL boots

custom made derby

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?45213-New-William-Lennon-Derby-Boot-Singular!

derby

http://www.trekandrun.com/reviews/lennon%20boots%20review.html

If i get these i'll most likely have some thicker rubber heel soles attached

quality price wise they seem very good