Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

ALDEN X UNIONMADE PLAIN TOE WALKER IN Reverse Tobacco Chamois sounds so awesome..why does Union only get them made from size 8 up ? grhhh

no love for midgets? :P

Finally came back from my little 3 week holiday in the states. My question is, what is the deal with the guy from the Alden store in NY? He sizes me up, and then tells me I'm a 8.5EEE, which he just happens to have in my size in the cordovan boots that I wanted. When I tried them on, they felt too short. I also mentioned to him that I already wear the 405 boot in a 9E, to which he replied that I was sized wrong and that he knew what he was talking about because he's "been working in the industry for 30 years." I don't know about his experience, but I know when a boot feels too short. I asked him if he had any 9E for me to try, but unfortunately, he didn't have any in stock. How inconvenient.

So a couple of weeks later at Leathersoul in Beverly Hills, Bryan measures my foot and says I'm a 9.5D in most Alden lasts (Barrie et al.) and a 10D in the more narrow lasts. I try on a pair of Ravello Chukkas which fit perfect, I'm happy enough with the service that I eat the 9.75% CA sales tax (tax is more that the shipping to Australia - which will now justify every US online shoe purchase I make to eternity) to bring them over. Pics after I've charged my camera battery.

I know it's been covered a billion times here, but I was thinking of picking up a pair of those ebay whites and whites go a half size bigger than an Alden size correct? or just order your sneaker size in whites...

Right?

...I'm happy enough with the service that I eat the 9.75% CA sales tax (tax is more that the shipping to Australia - which will now justify every US online shoe purchase I make to eternity) to bring them over.

There is no customs fee? That is so unfair... :(

only if you plan on not soaking and you want a sufu fit....... oh wait.... wrong thread

ha... I try to wear my boots as long as I can until I machine watch them with special "boot" detergent.

Seriously though it's sneaker size in whites right? Not dress or Alden size? 1/2 up from Alden...?

I saw these up on your blog. What kind of leather sole is that, or rather, what is it called? I have a pair of alden bluchers with it, but I wouldn't know what to call it. Is it an "oiled leather" sole. I love that type of sole. All the sleekness of a leather sole, but it has some grip.

If it was the Madison shop then I'm going to say unfortunately I'm not surprised...As long as you know what you need you'll be ok and at least Leathersoul is stellar as usual...

It was the Madison shop. I was quite disappointed. Especially since Brooks Brothers is right near by, and I tried on the Alden made for them in 9E... and they fit. Too bad the only cordovan boots they had were the C&J Peale ones ($1000+)

There is no customs fee? That is so unfair... :(

No customs fee for items under AU$900 (which currently is USD900).

What pants are these ,riff?

Devilish is right - they're the Carhartt selvage duck Ropers, from the Euro line.

@Thinfinn - here's some more pics for you, as promised. Great boots, highly recommended!

53d79eef.jpg

e5ac076b.jpg

I saw these up on your blog. What kind of leather sole is that, or rather, what is it called? I have a pair of alden bluchers with it, but I wouldn't know what to call it. Is it an "oiled leather" sole. I love that type of sole. All the sleekness of a leather sole, but it has some grip.

It's called the Double Water Lock sole. It's also sometimes called the Flex-welt sole, particularly if it is single thickness.

it's good stuff. Keeps water out too

HELP

Used a damp cloth to wipe down my boots, then applied Allen Edmonds Conditioner/Cleaner to my Clarks Beeswax boots, then sprayed their Waterproofer on it. Now there is SEVERE discoloration of the leather. It is no longer dark brown, but light tan/yellow.

Was there too much water that it stained it? Or is from the products?

HELP

Used a damp cloth to wipe down my boots, then applied Allen Edmonds Conditioner/Cleaner to my Clarks Beeswax boots, then sprayed their Waterproofer on it. Now there is SEVERE discoloration of the leather. It is no longer dark brown, but light tan/yellow.

Was there too much water that it stained it? Or is from the products?

did you let each app dry before the next?