Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

^ Zubin - a friend's gf bought him a pair of boots off Ebay. Too small for him, so I picked em up for what she paid: $45.... They're Gorilla brand, and I checked their site. These ones:

d44e77e9.jpg

They're sweet, nice quality boots, but I wouldn't buy them at full retail...

What was the size difference? I'm a true 9.5 so should I be looking at 10.5?

bootsjf.jpg

These don't look bad and seem like a good alternative to roughouts. That vibram wedge...

Anyone have a pair of black indy's for sale in 9-9.5? My buddy wants to get his first pair of "real" boots and is set on the Indy's in Black... let me know

thx

when i come close to pulling the trigger on boots i always puss out and think "man up and buy virgils" :/

how much are non-suede virgils going for these days shipped to the US? $800-900?

Virgils are sweet - but they are not a workboot. Beautiful construction & all, but the materials are much lighter than say a White's or even a RW. Check Yahoo!Japan auctions - you may find them in the $600ish range...

I'm at 4 weeks on a pair of SDs via Baker - will I get a shipping notice from them or will the boots just show up on my door one day?

6-8 weeks is pretty normal, they'll send you a notification, with tracking info

does anyone here know of a cobbler in the US that does vibram 705 half soles with the figure 8 stitch?

Vibram-705.jpg

Add me to the list of people who would be interested to know more about this.

Also, I'm curious if anyone has any leads on where one might purchase the Quabaug heels that are used on White's Semi-Dress? They are insanely durable and comfortable.

what do people think of rm williams boots? yay or nay?

how about compared to a trickers country for example?

thanks

They are totally different styles. Unless you are comparing Trickers Chelseas? IMO the RM Williams Chelseas have a more classic shape, but you should get whichever appeals to you more. Similar level of quality, tho the Trickers might be more hard wearing

thanks. i like the shape of the rm compared to most chelsea boots out there and what i have seen and read of the quality they look nice. perhaps more casual in style than say a c&j chelsea 5 which i was also looking at.

i guess i asked about trickers as they seem to be a bit of a fad on here in recent times, plus the vibram sole etc. present/the bureau both do a combo which look smart as an option.

ideally i want a casual looking, decent quality, comfortable boot and maybe the rm might be the better choice?

Add me to the list of people who would be interested to know more about this.

Also, I'm curious if anyone has any leads on where one might purchase the Quabaug heels that are used on White's Semi-Dress? They are insanely durable and comfortable.

I think any cobbler with a sewing machine can do this stitch. Since it's done before attaching to the welt, I'm sure if you explain it to the cobbler, it should be a no brainer.

I've never seen anyone do this in North America other than the fine people at Wesco. All of my Wesco Engineer boots have the figure 8 stitch on the 705. Hukurokuju does it too, as well as Brass and Unionworks. But thats in all Japan, not exactly convenient.

Hukurokuju:

hukurokuju8.jpg

Wesco:

wesco8.jpg

Since Quabaug is the North American licensee for Vibram, I think any cobbler can order them in North America.

Speaking of heels, I just got some new Cat's Paw in and I noticed a big difference in each one I have. I think some are from different era's:

catspawa.jpg

catspawb.jpg

The one on the far right is made in Canada and no longer has the "Pat. Pending" on it. I believe the center one is the oldest, maybe from the 1960's or 70's. The rubber feels softer too, while the other 2 have a harder composition like modern heels.

Sorry, I must have had too much time on my hands…

does anyone here know of a cobbler in the US that does vibram 705 half soles with the figure 8 stitch?

Vibram-705.jpg

Whites still doesnt offer vibram half soles? I'd love a pair with soles like that.

ok heres the explanation for the 8 stitch because on half soles theres no reinforcement like full holes which gets sandwhich at the heel right?

they do this to half soles just to make sure the glue dries properly its stiched on to prevent the half sole from peeling off the 8 stitch is meant to just hold the half sole till the glue dries 100% .

so when having half soles put on , make sure it has the 8 stitch on it or a U stitch

maybe the turnout comfort or yard boot.

RMW Yard Boots are incredible. I wore mine daily for nearly three winters -- they hold up. Sizing is a huge pain in the a$$ tho. The standard refrain to "size down one from your US street shoe" is totally off, at least for me. Sizing down one netted me a very very snug fit -- was stuck wearing thin dress socks where I would preferred to be able to wear a medium weight sock. Essentially, they run shorter than just "U.S. Size minus one," and I found don't run as wide as the massive SF thread on them suggests.

If you can try 'em on first, by all means do.

hey all, I need some advice:

I just purchased some RedWing Iron Rangers, Amber Harness, and I have some Bickmore 100% pure neatsfoot oil and I am ordering some Sno Seal for the winter time (From Canada).

1- How often should I apply the neatsfoot oil? (ive tried googling it and have found varied answers)

2- How often do I apply the Sno-Seal during the winter?

3- Do I apply both during the winter or only the sno-seal?

Thank you!

Answer to all three questions is: As needed.

You'll be able to tell when your boots need it. I don't have a strict regiment on how often I apply various products. Sometimes it's more if I've been trudging through the snow a lot, sometimes it's less.

I wouldn't fret too much. Those boots are pretty hardy, and if you put just the minimal amount of care into them, you'll be fine.