Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Yep :( I went to Redwing for the resole thinking they would do a good job and it might comeback looking factory new. Nope. I saw on a tag stuck to the boot that it went to some cobbler in Illinois not even the factory. Since this was the second resole I just took them and left. I found a local guy on the way to work I'm going to take them in to and just hand them to him and ask him if he can see what's wrong and if he can fix it. If it's cheap I'll do it since this sole should last me now quite a few years and I don't want to take a sharpie and black in the stitching so I can't see the shitty job they did. They only for riding now so it's not that big of a deal but...

Rotten job on the stitch, but the brown cork looks right on. Better than black.

Agreed. Stitch job is shit, but I really like the look of the brown cork.

It actually looks better in person and if I can't get a local boot repair guy to fix the stitching I'll just live with it. Not a huge deal since nobody anywhere I go would ever even notice or care lol. Only myself or people here would know the difference. I really was hoping for the black though. The 2990 midsole and cork sole on the 2970 upper... man I really wanted that. Damn you Redwing :)

It actually looks better in person and if I can't get a local boot repair guy to fix the stitching I'll just live with it. Not a huge deal since nobody anywhere I go would ever even notice or care lol. Only myself or people here would know the difference. I really was hoping for the black though. The 2990 midsole and cork sole on the 2970 upper... man I really wanted that. Damn you Redwing :)

Yeah, I'm sure once they're on your feet it won't be that noticeable, and you're right. Most people outside this forum wouldn't know the difference. I good cobbler is a must. The guy I take my shoes and boots to has been dealing with mostly Red Wings for his 30+ years as a cobbler.

I saw those a while back and thought they had a very similar profile to the Toy's McCoy Beck's. I just posted updated wear picks of them on my blog. Only real difference between this and the Becks model is that Becks are made of Horsehide. The Becks are just a tad bit cheaper even through proxy.

The RRL's are the same price as MF.

These came out recently. A steal at $900… Somebody rich buy these and let me know how they are. Thanks.

rrl3.jpg

The way they construct these soles - with the layered rubber on leather on the sole, makes them look a lot like rocker soles. If so - I assume they are extremely comfortable to walk in. I have a pair of leather-soled dress shoes where I had a rocker sole directly on top of the leather - looks very similar from the profile. Any opinions - how comfy are these?

Looking good bosch, how did you size on those?

I got them from a german online shop called troph--e-shop, a few others from here got them as well, and i just took the smallest size they had which was 41, the boots are marked size 7.

as a reference i wear a pair of RW iron rangers in a US size 7

They look like they are ^ WWII service boots. Are there any markings on them? They could just be 1940's dress boots of course, but the pattern is so similar.

I just picked myself up a pair of USMC boondockers, I'll post some pictures tomorrow after I dub them up with something. The leather moves so much they are more comfortable than any pair of aldens I've ever had. I always have problems with getting proper fit on aldens, and the munson last used for military boots is the exact shape of my foot.

Update:

Holy shit these are comfortable.

The pair I bought was from what price glory, they were left overs from the boots made for the HBO series "The Pacific".

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=2129&bc=no

There were a couple stitching issues with them, but other than that they appear to be very sound boots. The welt was extremely solidly done, something rare on repro boots for the most part. I'll put pictures up on Wed.

Good 'ol Clarks after a brushing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55085504@N05/5112531404/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55085504@N05/5111933631/

Bonus - What I'm making for dinner.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55085504@N05/5112522860/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55085504@N05/5111926837/

Any guesses?

*I gave up trying to format the pictures with the img code. I would greatly appreciate some assistance!

I've got a couple pairs of original WWII service shoes and they're slightly different in the cut and how they're stitched. They're not dress boots either but typical of the work boots from the 30's or 40's. Take a look at Sears or Montgomery Wards work wear catalog from that era and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Where'd you get tne boondockers from? Look forward to seeing them.

They look like they are ^ WWII service boots. Are there any markings on them? They could just be 1940's dress boots of course, but the pattern is so similar.

I just picked myself up a pair of USMC boondockers, I'll post some pictures tomorrow after I dub them up with something. The leather moves so much they are more comfortable than any pair of aldens I've ever had. I always have problems with getting proper fit on aldens, and the munson last used for military boots is the exact shape of my foot.

Update:

Holy shit these are comfortable.

The pair I bought was from what price glory, they were left overs from the boots made for the HBO series "The Pacific".

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=2129&bc=no

There were a couple stitching issues with them, but other than that they appear to be very sound boots. The welt was extremely solidly done, something rare on repro boots for the most part. I'll put pictures up on Wed.

Good 'ol Clarks after a brushing

2us7kw8.png

2eb8gfq.png

Bonus - What I'm making for dinner.

25tah47.png

Any guesses?

*I gave up trying to format the pictures with the img code. I would greatly appreciate some assistance!

The links you posted are links to the image page on flikr not the image itself which is why it would not display them them.

I downloaded them and did it for you.

There ya go.

On your photo page go to "Share this" (above the photo)

Open up the 'Grab the HTML/BBCode' slider

Choose a size (i like 640)

Click "BBCode" under the textarea

Copy the text in the textarea

Sounds complicated but it was wayy worse before.

I'm new to shoe care...just ordered a pair of SD's.....my first pair of nice boots....so i want to really take care of it, here is my questions....:o

I just wondering what kind of cleaning products, brushes, clothes, polish, conditioner, shoe cream, mink oil etc should i use? or better yet, is there any basic care kit i can buy?

How often should i clean it?

Is shoe trees really necessarily?

Any tips would be appreciated.:)

I never use shoe trees. Buy some Pecard's Leather Dressing for when the leather gets dry. White's don't require a lot of maintenance.

Thank you.:)

So.....i guess i shouldn't baby them like dress shoes, beat them up and don't care about them until it's necessarily?

Thin dress boots, like aldens and Churches generally need shoe trees, and they do help dry out the liners and such and help preserve the shoes structure and last integrity.

Whites use super tough leather on their shoes/boots so there is really no need for it. They are built to be work boots and made to endure anything really. They don't need the babying. That is not to say using shoe trees and dressing them regularly wont help them. It will make the leather last longer no doubt about it, that is just the nature of leather, but its not really worth it.