Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Fre$co, did you add me to the list? (i said i want in a few pages back)

I think my make-up would look very similar to the black horsehides I posted. I would choose the standard last though , antique eyelets and double leather soles (or single leather with vibram sole) . Not sure if i'd go with a toe cap. (might look bulgy)

if not possible, i'll have black chrome excel ones.

btw marineabilly, ed, etc; is it a rule of thumb to go with your regular boots size when buying engineer boots? (for example im size 8 in Alden, red wing and Whites; same size for engineer boots?)

Fre$co, did you add me to the list? (i said i want in a few pages back)

I think my make-up would look very similar to the black horsehides I posted. I would choose the standard last though , antique eyelets and double leather soles (or single leather with vibram sole) . Not sure if i'd go with a toe cap. (might look bulgy)

if not possible, i'll have black chrome excel ones.

btw marineabilly, ed, etc; is it a rule of thumb to go with your regular boots size when buying engineer boots? (for example im size 8 in Alden, red wing and Whites; same size for engineer boots?)

Slab, based off your other boot sizing, I would go size 8 for Engineers.

Lemme know what you think (original questions here http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=2451077#post2451077)

Sorry for the poor quality. Will take better close-up this weekend.

L1040780.jpg

L1040771.jpg

Agreed with everyone.. cuff those bad boys... show off that buckle.

and start wearing them. It will get the "new" shine off and scuff em up a bit...

Engineer boots are not suppose to be dress boots so don't worry about keeping them new looking...

anyone ever use mink oil on rough out leather boots? Or any similar products like snoseal? What are the results like or is it not worth doing...

thanks in advance guys.

p.s. props on the redwing shop job almostnice. I just came back from a trip to berlin and the redwing store there also had some great worn in pairs, and lots of re-soled boots waiting for their owners.

Guys in WWII used to do this to their roughout service shoes. It's called dubbing. When you're done they'll be much darker and nearly smooth. See this link http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Projects/Dubbing/index.html

anyone ever use mink oil on rough out leather boots? Or any similar products like snoseal? What are the results like or is it not worth doing...

thanks in advance guys.

I put snoseal on some Dayton rough outs (can't vouch for other snoseal like products). Before and after.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s185/Baron_Munchausen/DSC_0683.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s185/Baron_Munchausen/DSC_0688.jpg

I did it a few months back but I still really like how they turned out.

thanks in advance guys.

p.s. props on the redwing shop job almostnice. I just came back from a trip to berlin and the redwing store there also had some great worn in pairs, and lots of re-soled boots waiting for their owners.

i will not apply anything on my two months old RW 8113 for a long time.the leather is so well prepared from new and i believe they will get a much nicer patina without minkoil etc.

cheers dralfonzo,the Hamburg store belongs to the same guys(besides Burg&Schild).

These just had their first birthday. Worn 4-5 days a week for a year.

2010_oct_ir1.jpg

2010_oct_ir2.jpg

2010_oct_ir3.jpg

2010_oct_ir4.jpg

These just had their 2nd birthday and 2 resoles. Crappy job Redwing did on the 2nd resole. The first resole was wrong (vibram) and this one used the brown cork instead of the black cork. I had to have the cork since they perform perfect for me riding in the Florida rains. Weird they said that they don't resole the heritage collection and only have brown cork soles. I asked what if I had a pair of black Iron Ranger? She asked what those were. There were Hawhorn and Amber IRs on the display next to her. I almost went with a black wedge sole. Kinda wish I had now.

Sigh.

2010_oct_29701.jpg

2010_oct_29702.jpg

2010_oct_29703.jpg

2010_oct_29704.jpg

some used boots on display at Redwing Store Hamburg:

5100269782_21a4b9884b_z.jpg

I heard that they only employ losers at that red wing shop. In the company ranking it ranked like last in customer satisfaction.

Wow, what a job they did on the welt stitching of those Engineers. Okuyama could do a better job blindfolded with one arm behind his back.

Yep :( I went to Redwing for the resole thinking they would do a good job and it might comeback looking factory new. Nope. I saw on a tag stuck to the boot that it went to some cobbler in Illinois not even the factory. Since this was the second resole I just took them and left. I found a local guy on the way to work I'm going to take them in to and just hand them to him and ask him if he can see what's wrong and if he can fix it. If it's cheap I'll do it since this sole should last me now quite a few years and I don't want to take a sharpie and black in the stitching so I can't see the shitty job they did. They only for riding now so it's not that big of a deal but...