Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

How do Allen-Edmonds fit? I'm thinking of buying a pair online. Should I purchase my "true" size? (ie. size I wear usually) Thanks.

I only have one pair of AE's and mine fit true to size.

If you really really want an answer that goes to individual lasts and how they work there's a guy on Ask Andy who has something like 50 pairs of AE's and is a veritable fountain of knowledge on them. JLibourel is his name, cool guy.

See, it's odd, but I would only wear box-fresh sneakers with my raw selvage jeans. And any guys I see around London wearing raw selvage jeans (Nudies, Canes, Edwins, whatever) would also be rocking box-fresh trainers. I mean, I go to obsessive lengths to keep my sneaks pristine (mostly adidas, although today I'm wearing green on white Puma Pele Brazils with my Nudie Regular Ralf Dry Selvage - put a fresh set of laces in this morning).

Well, I used to wear Red Wings and I was thinking of investing in another pair for the winter - but I was also looking at the latest adidas Brown Torsions and their orange on white Waterproof.

I have been known to occassionally wear Disanto moccasins with my Regular Ralfs and a black polo for a kind of mod look. I dunno - maybe it's a London thing.

when i was BiG yesterday, there was a guy who recommended corcoran jump boots. they are tough as hell and they are "spit-shinable". he had on the alden shell cordvan cap-toe boots, but in black. he put a spit-shine on them and they were gleaming. he had them for like two years and they looked great.

http://www.militaryclothing.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/product-id/190605.html

these look pretty goddam tough too:

http://www.militaryclothing.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/hierarchy/04/product-id/191353.html

I dunno, Miz, the jumpboot, er, maybe; that tanker boot- gotta go with a thumbs down on that one. Go with the Frye Brando boot. It doesn't scream paramilitary. Unless paramilitary/Terminator is what you're shooting for.

Have you seen the alden v-tip with a commando sole at Leathersolehawaii? It's not shell cordovan, but damn fine. Tricker's has a good looking brogue w/commando sole. Nice choice to have to make.

I dunno, Miz, the jumpboot, er, maybe; that tanker boot- gotta go with a thumbs down on that one. Go with the Frye Brando boot. It doesn't scream paramilitary. Unless paramilitary/Terminator is what you're shooting for.

Have you seen the alden v-tip with a commando sole at Leathersolehawaii? It's not shell cordovan, but damn fine. Tricker's has a good looking brogue w/commando sole. Nice choice to have to make.

yeah, the jumpboot might be too hard to pull off for me. i've seen people pull them off by keeping them unlaced at the top and the tongue sticking out, but that's really not me. also, didn't know until dj flame pointed it out that they have so much metal hardware...

yeah, i saw the v-tip boot with commando sole...bananas.

i really like the tricker's too. thinking of getting a pair if i ever get back to london again.

Digital, it actually looks like regular cap toes if your jeans are long enough. But you can also rock em hiked up like the last pic, if you really want to show them off. Please excuse the baggy jeans.

clean, but not boring. those jeans are baggy?! i don't think so. but skinny jeans make your feet look bigger, if you know what i mean.

;)

If one is thinking military, then go with the Bates 924/922. Said to be really comfortable. I'm around a lot of guys who wear the desert version, but I think they look odd if not with the matching uniform. See the write up here:

http://getfitnow.stores.yahoo.net/bates924.html

If one is thinking military, then go with the Bates 924/922. Said to be really comfortable. I'm around a lot of guys who wear the desert version, but I think they look odd if not with the matching uniform. See the write up here:

http://getfitnow.stores.yahoo.net/bates924.html

In my experience they really weren't all that comfortable. They are definitely light, but not comfortable so much. My pair fucking fell apart too after a couple of days in the field.

Whoa. That's interesting. Did you contact Bates, or just toss 'em in disgust? The guys around here say the desert version is okay, but they aren't thinking fashion. Given the rap re: 'The world's most comfortable military boot.' yadda, yadda, I am surprised by your experience. Good to hear contrarian expertise.

Nah I didn't. I suppose thats not a bad idea though. I actually might still have them around somewhere. They were really light which is good for "boots and ut's" runs, but my feet ached much more after runs than they did when I wore my standard issue Danner combat boots. Some Marines did swear by them though.

Actually I'm realizing I might have been prematurely critical. I haven't wore a pair of these in a good while. I read on the website that these have been improved, although for traction reasons, perhaps they have also improved in the ways that I was dissatisfied with them.

So now that I am addicted to my indys, and my countless dunks and other over priced sneakers sit unworne (unless skate boarding), I am thinkign about the black cordvan ones.

here is the real question:

as you all have informed me the black indys come with leather soles, would it be possable to have the regular indy soles put on them, or other rubber ones?

thanks much