Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I think I've finally settled on White's Retro (straight heel) Semi-dress boots in either brown chromexcel or black cherry water buffalo, with a cap toe and vibram half soles (with double leather?) for my next boot.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what's the general consensus on sizing these? TTS?

Although,you guys are really selling me on the underslung heel...

dsc2510.jpg

P1014328.jpg

eehh if your doing straight heel theyre much harder to walk with in my experience

hmm i would like it with a single row of welt stitch too

and whites dont offer half soles

BUT! i saw some packers in half soles on their website maybe you can request that

Thanks for the advice, Ed. I was thinking that the straight heel would be harder to walk in. The shape of the underslung heel looks so nice with the shape of the back of the boot. I was also thinking of single stitched welt, and I'm willing to have a half sole put on by a cobbler, but I will hit up White's.

These would be my everyday boots, though. I have some jump boots for when I ride my bike. I'm really liking the look of the shorter semi-dress.

Zissou, a single welt stitch will give you a more streamlined look, although I do prefer the double welt on my SJ's versus the single welt on my oxfords - looks like a more substantial shoe imo.

For the heel, I'd go with the tapered/cuban vs. block. It's the more quintessential white's look, again imho (especially with a toe cap).

also for sizing, they're pretty tts, but I'd still send your tracings in to bakershoe.com and take advantage of their free shipping. It's cheaper overall than going directly through white's.

Go with the underslung heel. It's what White's are all about!

Sounds like it will turn out to be a good looking boot either way. I am a bit torn between the single and double stitching for my next boot too.

For sizing, i'd say they are a bit smaller than Alden Barrie or truebalance in both length and width.

).

also for sizing, they're pretty tts, but I'd still send your tracings in to bakershoe.com and take advantage of their free shipping. It's cheaper overall than going directly through white's.

If I remember correctly Baker's will charge you 100$ extra if you want your White's made to your own tracings (if they dont already have it), whereas its free if ordering directly from Whites. Im not 100%sure on this, but this is the answer I remember receiving from Whites/Bakers.

If I remember correctly Baker's will charge you 100$ extra if you want your White's made to your own tracings (if they dont already have it), whereas its free if ordering directly from Whites. Im not 100%sure on this, but this is the answer I remember receiving from Whites/Bakers.

I'm pretty sure White's does not charge $100 for the custom fit. WESCO charges $100 for the first pair and nothing going forward.

My latest Tricker's MTO.

based on the Kensington model, but in Red Shell Cordovan. It looks more like Oxblood IMO.

I also picked the Brown Dainite sole instead of double leather. Amazing quality on these. Not a stitch crooked or loose!!

L1001233.jpg

L1001242.jpg

L1001239.jpg

Thank you Richard from the Shoehealer!!

Y'all been noticing the natural chromexcel shoes popping up? They look really interesting to me but I'm not an early adopter kinda guy. I want to see whether the leather has merits beyond newness.

But anyways it's all over the place. Theshoemart has several makeups. Leffot recently got press for an indy boot in natural chromexcel, and I found this photo, attributed to them, floating around Styleforum:

46494_10150265709230381_126706475380_14555382_4505659_n.jpg

Also Unionmade is offering preorders on natural chrmxl indy shoes. Anyone know of any others?

Floyd, the NE sales rep from Alden, came into the shop I work in last week. I talked his ear off. He had a swatch of the leather on him. I would describe it as dusky tan. Pull-up as hell. Very unformal. To my eye, it looks like a color that should be suede...but isn't. Still on the fence whether I like it or not. Seems like it may be the Alden "thing" this year, like barrie-last "work" boots were last year. Or the ranger moc / indy shoe might be. Who knows.

Sweet Dawei & Aquaphor!

mtchfnk, those look really nice! I like the chromexcel a lot, but like you - I want to see some evo on the natural color before taking a plunge.

On the topic of chromexcel.... I think my Alden Roys are ready for some TLC :)

6d8aa5ea.jpg

Riff you've been beating the hell out of those:cool:

^No, neither baker's or white's charges extra for this service

Y'all been noticing the natural chromexcel shoes popping up? They look really interesting to me but I'm not an early adopter kinda guy. I want to see whether the leather has merits beyond newness.

But anyways it's all over the place. Theshoemart has several makeups. Leffot recently got press for an indy boot in natural chromexcel, and I found this photo, attributed to them, floating around Styleforum:

Also Unionmade is offering preorders on natural chrmxl indy shoes. Anyone know of any others?

Floyd, the NE sales rep from Alden, came into the shop I work in last week. I talked his ear off. He had a swatch of the leather on him. I would describe it as dusky tan. Pull-up as hell. Very unformal. To my eye, it looks like a color that should be suede...but isn't. Still on the fence whether I like it or not. Seems like it may be the Alden "thing" this year, like barrie-last "work" boots were last year. Or the ranger moc / indy shoe might be. Who knows.

You are right on the mark Mtchfrnk.

There will be a flood of shoes in this leather cropping up in the next couple months... weeks even. I would guess that almost every Alden retailer who does customs has at least one style coming. It's new so everybody jumped on it. Pretty democratic really...

It will be interesting to see how the customer "votes" with their dollars.

We will see how it really looks when worn and how long the fad will last. Only time will tell...

I know I'm looking forward to my pair coming!

Where do you work by the way?

Finally, some MOTO cordovan models are starting to show up.

Translated description of the 'dull cordovan':

MOTO new “cordovan†One foot which overturns common sense which finishes the high-class leather “cordovan†which uses the leather of the rear end of the horse with the hand dyeing only of MOTO. After natural to do the vegetable tanning securely, building up the pure original cordovan, it is the unique kind of completion where it paints the dye by the hand of the craftsman, differs from the general cordovan and is somber a little. Generally it is the cordovan which shoots considerable gloss, but when the cordovan is produced to that as MOTO, we say that because strange feeling is felt, the product of the cordovan was not made. Because of that, as for the latest this being somber individual the designer went to the origin of [tanna], looking at the cordovan which does not finish the completion, was born by the fact that you exclude the grading work of voicing the glossy impression mandatorily with the image which is different, became the cordovan just of MOTO. We use leather sole with Goodyear well Ted manufacturing method, it is the completion of the dress unlike work. The forum which is volume and aging makes upper already, although it is the new item, is a taste, makes the big existence impression feel already. It probably is sweeping, to insert oil and to polish and in the extent which is packed to bear gloss little by little from the part part, to create exquisite expression.

moto-low0240.jpg

moto-low021.jpg

moto-low0220.jpg

moto-high0242.jpg

moto-high0210.jpg

moto-high0220.jpg

Doin' some cleaning around the closet and decided to take a picture of just a hand full of my boots. I'm a little concerned; however, that I'm missing another box o' boots.

DSCN0031.JPG

Nice collection. I'm not usually one for engineer style boots but what are those brown ones in the top right? I really like the look of them.

Those are the very underrated Frye Brando's (renamed "Rand" due to liscensing issues). They sell for over $200 new, but because (for some reason) they aren't popular, they can be had for $100, give or take on the Bay - worth every penny IMHO.

Thanks coleslawyum. My next pair is either going to be the Narrow Wesco's, MF Road Champs or another pair of Wesco Boss' in the MP Toe last.

Nice collection. I'm not usually one for engineer style boots but what are those brown ones in the top right? I really like the look of them.

My missing box o' boots have a few more of my Engineers to include my Chippewa's. Yeah, the Brando's/Rands have that 1940's/early 1950's appeal to them with the low heels and flatish round toe that would flatten over time. I've contemplated getting them resoled/heeled, but they are just great out of the box.

I almost got the Rands instead of my Chippewas. Kind of wish I would have.

On the topic of chromexcel.... I think my Alden Roys are ready for some TLC :)

6d8aa5ea.jpg

Definitely need some TLC. A rag and a little tallow does wonders on mine. Consequently Riff, I've seen your motorbikes on here and word to the wise to be careful if you use these to kick start a bike. I had to go pick up a used one I bought for my dealership. Battery was dead so I had to kick it over. Damn thing took like 30 kicks and it tore a few of the welt stitches on my right boot. I get them back from Nicks in downtown Toronto tomorrow. Heres hoping they did a good job.