Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I took some photos of my Fall/Winter boot rotation recently. Here are my David Z Red Wing 875s.... I know not everyone is a fan of this silhouette but they honestly got me through some gnarly weather and held up like champs. Not a drop of water has ever gotten into them no matter how much rain or snow I was trudging through. They were put aside in April when it started to warm up but I'm excited to start wearing them again in the fall.

fall10boots_redwing875_1-500x333.jpg

fall10boots_redwing875_2-500x333.jpg

One thing I wanted to ask for advice on - besides wiping them down, I haven't really done anything to maintain these boots. The leather isn't fit for polishing, and I don't think it's quite suede either so I don't know how or if I should clean them. Anyone have suggestions on how to maintain them so they last longer, or should I just leave them alone?

Would be worthwhile to check how often this question pops up in this thread...

Same answer as every time. You just can't compare them. Too different. But you're not likely to do anything wrong with both of them.

Has anyone tried putting a profiled sole on a RW Iron Ranger with the red/brown sole.

For winter I'd really like to have some profile on them because the original sole is slippery as hell on snow.

I seem to remember that Vibram offers lug soles in pretty much the same color as the nitrile cork sole.

I actually just got a chance to visit white's boots in Spokane. I went there to visit some family and they actually wanted to go, they were all real supportive of my interest in them.

anyways, that place is freakin awesome. it was the weekend so nobody was working in the factory, but it was still really cool. they had some really nice items by filson as well.

they had a section of refurbished boots for sale at a big discount; would have been great if they had my size. Also in the factory was a big bin filled with shoes to be repaired, that was cool to see.

their sales rep Bob Putt hooked me up and measured me for the semi dress last / packer and came up with an awesome fit. totally blew my mind. I immediately wanted a pair more than ever and thought maybe I should just sell my Aldens...probably wont though.

If anyone is going to get a pair I highly recommend getting one of the catalogs and filling out the measurements and tracing to get the appropriate fit. Bob put me in a 10.5 C - and I wear an 11.5 in the 405 and an 11 in the WWII impressions rough out boot, so beware of differences in sizing.

Would be worthwhile to check how often this question pops up in this thread...

Same answer as every time. You just can't compare them. Too different. But you're not likely to do anything wrong with both of them.

I've never owned a pair of Alden's, but the White's Semi Dress are easily the best pair of boots I've ever owned.

I'm torn between a pair of White's Semi dress and Alden Indies, what do you guys recommend?

I have tried the Semi Dress and own the Alden 405 and I'd say go for the Semi Dress.

the 405 is a much more conventional shoe, but the comfort doesn't hold up to white's and neither does the durability.

A couple of years ago I might have said 405 simply because of the price difference. I got my 405s for $270 when the SD was still around $390, but now the 405s are MORE expensive. I say go for the White's. You can try alden later if you want, but go with White's now.

I think I've asked this before - but is there a 'best' way to go with the SD? Is it the standard practice of doing a foot tracing and dealing with someone like bakers? Or is it better to go straight with whites?

I say go straight for the whites!

Now, here is my problem:

I'm not so into american workwear boots. I was thinking of getting some english country (brogue) boots. But, i'm not so familiar with the english labels.

Can someone recommend a mid-level pair of english boots? I'm thinking grenson, or Alfred sargent?? what's the general consensus on english stuff?? are they superior in their own right? And why are some brands so ridiciousily expensive (edward green 1000USD?wtf?)? Arent they all 100+ year old companies??

I say go straight for the whites!

Now, here is my problem:

I'm not so into american workwear boots. I was thinking of getting some english country (brogue) boots. But, i'm not so familiar with the english labels.

Can someone recommend a mid-level pair of english boots? I'm thinking grenson, or Alfred sargent?? what's the general consensus on english stuff?? are they superior in their own right? And why are some brands so ridiciousily expensive (edward green 1000USD?wtf?)? Arent they all 100+ year old companies??

I recommend Trickers malton in c-shade color

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/trickers/products/2698.php

Trickers is a good choice, take a look at Paul T's pair a couple of pages back. Grenson's are nice, too. Cheaper and more of a rugged look. From my own experience I would say Trickers are safer to order online since Grenson does have the occasional glitch when it comes to finishing (not construction) of the boots. When buying my last pair, I had the clerk bring me three pairs until I got one where no sole edge color was spilled on the welt...:confused:

Edward Green does not really belong up there with the others since EG are way more dressy. If you have a chance take a close look at a pair from them and you WILL see why they are so expensive.

English boots:

If you can stretch to Trickers Stowes, I'd get the Marron over any other colour.

If you want something a little sleeker then get the Crockett and Jones Skye which I think is a far more beautiful boot.

Sargeant and Grenson are very much a lower tier.

I think I've asked this before - but is there a 'best' way to go with the SD? Is it the standard practice of doing a foot tracing and dealing with someone like bakers? Or is it better to go straight with whites?

I'd go straight with White's the first time and be sure to send in tracings and everything. They are very nice to deal with in my experience. I have also ordered from Baker's and had a great experience but that time I just picked my own size (different last so I took a bit of a guess) but it worked out great. Quick turnaround going through both channels.

Very nice RW finn, Which model are those?

My problem:

Trickers are nice, but I think there is too much room in the toebox and it's too round, much like an american boot. The Crockett and Jones you recommended are very nice, will have a look into these (but gosh, they dont come cheap).

English boots:

If you can stretch to Trickers Stowes, I'd get the Marron over any other colour.

If you want something a little sleeker then get the Crockett and Jones Skye which I think is a far more beautiful boot.

Sargeant and Grenson are very much a lower tier.

Damn! I've been daydreaming about a good (but at least somehow more affordable) pair of natural boots ever seeing Opie's Motos. And all of a sudden these pop up at Shoe Mart:

I can only imagine how these will look with age

45625H.jpg

And I happen to glance at Leffot and BAM!

DSC_0048.jpg

Soooomebody's been reading my thoughts (or maybe I'm just not so clever/creative as I thought...)! $460 and $450, respectively.

Sooooo who wants to sponsor a poor kid in Africa with a beautiful pair of natural Chromexcel Alden's to protect his poor little feet?

Very nice RW finn, Which model are those?

My problem:

Trickers are nice, but I think there is too much room in the toebox and it's too round, much like an american boot. The Crockett and Jones you recommended are very nice, will have a look into these (but gosh, they dont come cheap).

thx mate...those are the 2904's...

Yep Coleslaw is a fellow Skye owner.

When I got mine, they were not too significantly more expensive than Stowes. The price might have changed now though.

I think the cheapest option for Americans is Plal in Malaysia, or so it is said. As far as I know they are reliable and numerous people on AAAC and the other fora have used them.

Where do I buy it?? the Skye model not on the plal site... and not on the official C&J site... are they discontinued? :(

Yep Coleslaw is a fellow Skye owner.

When I got mine, they were not too significantly more expensive than Stowes. The price might have changed now though.

I think the cheapest option for Americans is Plal in Malaysia, or so it is said. As far as I know they are reliable and numerous people on AAAC and the other fora have used them.

Beautiful. Hope mine turn out like that. What was the original colour?

Sorry, only just noticed the question. The colour wasn't listed when I bought these but I"m pretty sure they're Marron. I think the Acorn is beautiful, too.

Those Skye are gorgeous, a very different feel to the Stow. My tricker's were £150 from their eBay shop, a great investment considering how they're wearing in. I'm being careful to ignore comments from coleslawyum and fresco about the C&J, as otherwise my Stow will simply be a gateway drug to more expensive items...