Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Farhad, they don't show up till thursday or friday.

So maybe you'll see them thursday night when we smash some kaleh-pahcheh.

"They're work boots and some mis-stitches are to be expected and adds to the boot's rugged character."

Seriously? Wow. I've read several people's experiences with Alden's approach to customer service, but this kind of attitude still amazes me. Everything they sell is north of $300, yet they still think people should have to accept questionable quality without a peep. Even if it was only missed stitches, that's a load of crap. Adds to the character, my ass.

Seriously? Wow. I've read several people's experiences with Alden's approach to customer service, but this kind of attitude still amazes me. Everything they sell is north of $300, yet they still think people should have to accept questionable quality without a peep. Even if it was only missed stitches, that's a load of crap. Adds to the character, my ass.

isn't alden san fran just a retailer?

my experience with alden's customer service was nothing short of fantastic. that's the actual alden factory, not a retailer.

My trickers weren't stiff, they were buttery soft. The c-shade gorse leather is treated differently to others they offer and has a slightly matte sheen to it, you won't be able to shine these for this reason. Just like you cant shine a redwing 875.

The Stowes I had were different and you could shine those.

Saying Trickers dont take a shine is just silly.

Trickers lasts vary. The most famous one is the 4497s which they build most of their boots on. It fits wide but short. Too wide and too short and too wide for me....but then I've got US C width feet.

You've just described my foot, plus I have a low instep. Please, please, please, tell me which boots/shoes/lasts you've found that work for you.

My trickers weren't stiff, they were buttery soft. The c-shade gorse leather is treated differently to others they offer and has a slightly matte sheen to it, you won't be able to shine these for this reason. Just like you cant shine a redwing 875.

The Stowes I had were different and you could shine those.

Saying Trickers dont take a shine is just silly.

The gorse leather on my Maltons were stiff compared to the leather on my RM Williams. Of course they would be softer than other thicker leather boots eg. Russells, Whites et al. The leather on the Stowes is a little smoother. I tried to polish them with a neutral polish, but it didn't look right. I think I meant that the boots don't take a polish, I have 5 pairs of Trickers dress shoes that polish up just fine. I've read that owners of the Stow/Maltons treat them like any other boot (oil with sno seal etc.). I don't think I'll go that far.

@Velomane. I wear my Maltons in a UK9 (6) and my Stowes in a UK9 (5). I wear a US9(E) in Redwings (but could size up 1/2), 9E in Alden's Truebalance last and 9E in Whites (but could size up 1/2).

Most of Trickers country collection are quite old designs dating back at least 70-80 years according to David at the factory. These are boots intended not only for farmers but for the country squire who would spend his days romping through the English countryside, dogs and shotgun in tow.

Now I don't know how familiar you are with the English countryside but for about 9 months of the year it is a wet muddy bog and your high shined immaculate boots would lose their wax polish in about 10 seconds (Believe me, I am speaking from experience here).

Historically these boots would never have been worn anywhere near a city, you would have been laughed out of the club just like if you dared to wear tweeds in the city.

Polishing a country boot would effectively be like trying to polish a Wellington.

Personally, I oil and waterproof my gorse wetherbys and reserve them for mainly winter use. After 3 years they are taking on a great patina.

Too much essay?

"Polishing a country boot would effectively be like trying to polish a Wellington."

True. I bought some HUNTER SLIGHTLY IMPERFECT BALMORAL SOVEREIGN wellington boots for half price in the Summer and can vouch for the fact that they looked rubbish even after I spent 7 long hours polishing them.

I won't make the same mistake with my trickers!

By the way I spoke to Richard the Shoe Healer, who told me in his opinion the best leather Trickers do is the Espresso colour so I ordered these:

One pair of Tricker's High Leg Logger Boots on Last 4444.

UK size 10 1/2, fitting 5.

Colour, Espresso Calf.

Lining, Navy Blue Calf Leather.

Eyelets, Brass with Top Three Row Ski Hook Fastenings.

Flat Welt in Painted Finish.

Commando Sole.

Will post when they arrive!

custom make-up sounds great; really looking forward to those pictures LFC

so US Alden/White size equals UK trickers size? somewhat correct to assume this?

not sure if these were posted already but these Yuketens look quite nice (from superdenim)

785b.jpg

update. Both of these shoes were used during ww1. The ankle boots were the standard shoe for ground soldiers with hobnails for support in the awful winters. The zip up pair was used in parachuting missions and the laces were extra long in case of emergency that called for some string and the zip made it possible to get out quickly without cutting the shoestrings.

crazy family friend has a mess of old shit, here are a few pairs of boots that he left at my house.

DSC_0951.jpg

DSC_0959.jpg

DSC_0948.jpg

DSC_0960.jpg

"the zip up pair was used in parachuting missions and the laces were extra long in case of emergency"

So I guess you could tie them to the plane?

I'm assuming it would be helpful to have some extra string. Maybe could help as a makeshift tourniquet or something. As I said, he's a little crazy

I don't think they had parachuting missions in WWI.

Maybe the first pair was used in ww1 but not the 2nd pair. It's probably ww2, but it looks like a civilian purchase, not issue

I don't think they had parachuting missions in WWI.

Maybe the first pair was used in ww1 but not the 2nd pair. It's probably ww2, but it looks like a civilian purchase, not issue

Very likely. Just what he told over the phone. Hopefully when i see him next week he will bring his ww2 denim prisoner of war work shirts and some bomber jackets that have original paintings and such on them.

Picked up both these at a thrift store last night.

Anyone have any information on these? Google search results weren't very fruitful. They say Barrie Ltd. Thought they looked pretty high quality, but not usually the type of shoes I go for.

DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

Then these Red Wings. Not sure how old they are, but look nicely broken in. They're just a tad too small so there is a chance I might sell them if anyone is interested.

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg