Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Cheap, nice Herman's and thanks for posting photos! Good to hear they're still on the job. That sucks that guys don't appreciate good work boots.

Next time I visit dad I'll dig up his old Herman's. He has Parkinson's disease and doesn't walk much these days but always was proud of his boots and took good care of them. I remember as a kid watching him polish them up every week.

here ya go...

dscf6404.jpg

my father in law worked highway and bridge construction from the 60s till... well... when his court cases aginst the 2 last states he worked in end... and said that back in the 60s and 70s the only boots he wore were herman and red wing. anything less and youd be laughed off the job site.

i work in it now, and 99% of the people on my site wear the cheapest boots from walmart. only other person besides me in redwings is our superintendent.

you brought up an interesting thought.

Why do I have nice boots and shoes?

I too remember the awesome boots my dad had when I was a kid. He had these black wolverine boots with a zippered (military style) front, back when wolverine made a hell of a boot.

And my grandfather always wore those boat longwings.

I'm drawn to both styles and I bet a lot of guys here has the same type of past and shoe obsession.

Cheap, nice Herman's and thanks for posting photos! Good to hear they're still on the job. That sucks that guys don't appreciate good work boots.

Next time I visit dad I'll dig up his old Herman's. He has Parkinson's disease and doesn't walk much these days but always was proud of his boots and took good care of them. I remember as a kid watching him polish them up every week.

yeah, really most people out on site would love a pair of red wings, but they dont think that they can justify the cost. 250-300 is alot to put up initially when you are making 12$ an hour tho... but i see people out here getting a new pair of boots every 4-6 months while my iron rangers have been going strong for a year and a half and will be for many years by the looks of things. those hermans would be the same way too, except that after 10 hours on my feet the width is a but tight, so they have been cleaned and now are for weekends... munson last FTW

I've been to the Alden shop on Madison a few times, and yes they are friendly but everytime they are out of something in the size I asked they hurry to bring me the same thing in a half size down and a width wider (not quite what I asked for). Also I feel that the selection is too dull for those that are looking for models similar to those offered by LS or Blackbird, etc.

I do recommend Citishoes on Park Ave, http://www.citishoes.com/ website sucks but the salesmen there are younger and very friendly in person. They really do know their Aldens there.

I still wear my dad's Wallabees. They aren't super old, he retired around 2000 and they were the last pair he wore when he was still going to the office everyday.

He'd been wearing wallabees since the 70s though, so he'd gone through a few pairs before the pair I've got now. I love em though.

I remember the old school 70s Wallabies. i grew up in Ireland where they were made by Padmore and Barnes and they were the standard casual shoe for men in that period. They were handstitched in their houses by people earning a few extra pounds in the evenings...kind of a Harris Tweed vibe. Padmores have gotten out of the shoe making business, although they still have a shoeshop in Killkenny ( that i believe some people were able to source some deadstock Wallies out of).

I can't bring myself to wear the Chinese version, however.

I remember the old school 70s Wallabies. i grew up in Ireland where they were made by Padmore and Barnes and they were the standard casual shoe for men in that period. They were handstitched in their houses by people earning a few extra pounds in the evenings...kind of a Harris Tweed vibe. Padmores have gotten out of the shoe making business, although they still have a shoeshop in Killkenny ( that i believe some people were able to source some deadstock Wallies out of).

I can't bring myself to wear the Chinese version, however.

i actually found a pair of the padmore clarks wallies in a thrift store a couple years back, and the difference is pretty noticable. after wearing them, i dont think i could wear the chinese ones now either... the shape is wrong, and the leather quality isnt up to par.

dscf6088z.jpg

I have them and they run a little wide, but they are fairly good quality. I've seen the WWII Impressions version and I have to admit they are a little better, but they cost a little more.

^Thanks guys. How about the At The Front Service Boots? Can anyone comment on the quality?

us_boot_serv_shoe_main.jpg

crazy family friend has a mess of old shit, here are a few pairs of boots that he left at my house.

DSC_0951.jpg

DSC_0959.jpg

DSC_0954.jpg

DSC_0961.jpg

DSC_0948.jpg

DSC_0960.jpg

Wow, your family friend has some impressive boots. Too bad they're all battered and cracked to hell. Maybe some TLC could restore them. I especially love the sole on the first 2 pairs- those are hobnailed heels in the first, right? And the black pair has a steel shank and fully nailed soles. Man, that's straight out of the 1800s. Third pair is awesome, too. I like the snap down cover for the zipper head. Nice touch. I'd love to get a pair like that.

Hey guys. I have been looking for a pair of plain toe black boots for a while. I was thinking about the White's Retro Semi Dress Chromexel. But then I came across the Tricker's Burford. The Burford seems more dressy and the White's more rugged. I am trying to find the perfect style between clunky work boot and dressy boot. I will probably never wear them with anything other than denim. Any thoughts?

Those boots have two different aesthetics. The Burford is a classic country boot...it was a favourite of English farmers ( it's claimed they used to leave them in a bucket of water for a week to break them in!) whereas the Whites is classic American (industrial?) workwear.

In that sense they are apples and oranges so a comparison may not be that useful...you have to decide what you like best.. Neither of them are sleek enough to be considered dressy IMO. although they are both great boots.

I can tell you first hand that the fit on Trickers is completely different to that of Whites. They also don't look alike. The wide welt on the Trickers makes them less dressy than say their shoes. If you want dressy boots, you're probably best to consider Aldens.

btw, I concur with LITS's opinion on the stubbornness of Tricker's boots. The leather that they use for the double leather sole is rock hard. I still haven't broken in my Maltons, and I've had them for ages.

stick with aldens trickers leathers are "not" that good IMO ive handled a pair and it didnt take a good shine after conditioning and polishing for 2 hours god damn brits

I think it's been noted already that the Trickers cordovan isn't as good as Alden but the calf leather is really nice......boots and shoes used to take months to break in and a 100 years ago it was considered "bad etiquette" to be seen in a pair of brand new boots/shoes so I can only assume owners of Trickers and the like wore them indoors or in private for about 2 years before appearing in public in them. It's also fair to say that the fact that they were so hardwearing was considered a benefit given you might only be able to afford a new pair every 300 years or so.

The "god damn brits" have been making quality footwear longer than any other nation as far as I'm aware.........

Well I'm not denying your experience Ed, I'm just saying that maybe the ability to take a shine isn't the only indicator of the quality of the leather.

If you're looking for dress shoes being able to get a spit shine finish is much more important than if you're a farmer looking for a pair of boots that will last you a good few years in the fields etc.

Firstly, you cannot fault Tricker's construction of their boots. Rock solid, not a stitch out of place. I had to send my Alden 405 back because there was a needle tear on the side of the boot, above the welt, near the heel (I think the storm welt?). Alden SF's reply to that? "They're work boots and some mis-stitches are to be expected and adds to the boot's rugged character." I mentioned that it wasn't a mis-stitch but an actual tear in the upper and threatened to kick up a fuss, and they offered to take the boots back with full refund. I have the oil leather fan Indy's from Alden of Carmel, but haven't bought another pair of Alden's since.

I love Trickers boots so much that I bought both the Stow and the Malton (with double leather sole, which basically makes it a brick coloured Stow). The leather doesn't take a polish (I've tried), but that's not why you buy them. The leather is really stiff. Feels like you have to put in years of wear to break them down, even with 4 coats of RM Williams conditioner. The construction is incredibly good (compared to what you would pay for a comparable pair of CJ boots). Feel as though they're going to last forever. I certainly haven't regretted my decision to buy these.

Just bought my first boots in four years, will post photos this week when they arrive.

Custom Viberg boots in mocha brown.