Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

how do you guys deal with your leather soled shoes/boots? do you have a rubber outsole fitted from brand new? or do you wear them for a while first to scuff up the leather a bit?

My cobbler grinds off a very thin layer of the smooth leather sole in order to glue the rubber sole on. It'd make sense to scuff them up a bit before handing them over, since they're going to be shaved down anyway, but like I've mentioned on previous posts, I really don't like walking on leather soles. My dress shoes get topyed right away. I wore a new pair of brogues to a friend's wedding fresh out of the box, slipped everywhere on that smooth leather sole. Topyed the next day. Every other pair will get topyed before I even wear them outside.

damn, I was about to pull the trigger on the catepillar engineer boots when I noticed that they have an extra piece of leather on the instep that really ruins the look for me.... oh well

I almost got them BECAUSE of that. I think it adds to the look.

whats the consensus on sizing the 1000 mile wolverines? same size as RW and Aldens?

My pair of 1000 miles in size 10 fit me perfectly, in both length and width, whereas my GT's in size 11 fit me well in width, but are longer than necessary. I initially bought a size 10.5 in the GT's, but they were crushing my feet width-wise. Keep in mind, I bought the 1000 miles used, so it's possible that the previous owner felt the same discomfort with them as I did with my GT's and somehow managed to endure the pain and stretch them out.

Hope that helps.

Guest xtreme588
whats the consensus on sizing the 1000 mile wolverines? same size as RW and Aldens?

size down one i'd say. i wear a 9.5-10 in most shoes, sneakers, 9.0 on alden trubalance, and 8.5 1000 miles fits me perfectly.

Guest xtreme588

size down one i'd say. i wear a 9.5-10 in most shoes, sneakers, 9.0 on alden trubalance, and 8.5 1000 miles fits me perfectly.