Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

2) brown wing tips. i got these in 1986 with my stepdad (a man who knows shoes. his are all custom made, i need to photograph some of his for this place, but that'll be another day.) he spotted these and told me that i needed some "real shoes" and told me to use shoe horns with them (i listened, and that's why they are still around.) they don't have a brand that i can see but are marked "made in england" and have some hand written numbers that might be a clue as to what they are. they are fully leather lined as well (which surprised me.) pulled these out and restored them along with the cowboy boots. i had gotten these new heels sometime in the past so i didn't need to send them to the cobbler.

]

They look like Trickers Ascot (which no longer are made in brown). The sizing system looks similar (heck, even the handwriting looks similar to my Trickers), and the rounded (some say blobby) front toe gives it away. Not to be mistaken for the C&J Clifford with the chisel toe.

I agree with Paul T 100%. Don't just do it because it looks "cool" or unique.

My reason for the resoling was strictly for comfort. The new Rubber sole made a huge difference in terms of comfort level when walking around in the SF fog city. Also, as I stated before, be careful when resoling because there is a possibility of the shoe ending up a bit narrower/tighter.

The original sole on my Indy's are doing their job just right so I'm leaving them alone.

No hate and of course you don't have to justify yourself but why cats paws, the hyped up sole which are deadstock and known to wear down quickly if you did it purely for comfort? I don't get it.

It is a good looking sole job by the way but I wonder what it is you don't like about leather soles? I walk around in mine all day.

No hate and of course you don't have to justify yourself but why cats paws, the hyped up sole which are deadstock and known to wear down quickly if you did it purely for comfort? I don't get it.

It is a good looking sole job by the way but I wonder what it is you don't like about leather soles? I walk around in mine all day.

Not to mention it seems like kind of a waste of good leather soles to try and make a pair of shoes that aren't entirely meant for comfort into something marginally more comfortable.

did arrow mention if the old leater soles had worn through, or did you just resole to change the style? personally I think they look pretty good, although I'd've liked them leather too, and I appreciate everyone's points above...

I think it's a waste to resole unnecessarily, but when I wear through a pair of soles I like to resole with something different. If you're paying to basically remake the shoe anyway it seems like you might as well get a change. Right now I have a pair of C&J-made GJ Cleverley brown suede semi-brogues being resoled from worn-through closed-welt leather to plantation crepe. I'll post here when I get them back- hopefully should be nice (if a bit fashion...)

Personally I hate walking on leather. It feels as though if you step on so much as grain of sand, you'll feel it in your feet, not to mention how dangerous it is on wet smooth surfaces (I'm looking at you, lady who cleans the floors at my local mall). I remember my first pair of all leather soles, RM Williams Henley, and when I asked the sales guy what do I do about the soles, he said, just wear them (horrified that I had to marr that perfect smooth brown leather sole with the rude concrete underneath. Gah!) I topy everything nowadays. All of the manufacturers advise against it, but at least I can wear the shoes. No point in keeping them pretty if you don't wear them at all.

not to blow up the spot but there's a shit ton of white's boots on the popular internet auction snipe site and itchy sumac has a ton of russell moccasins up for auction too

well what link??

I have no problem with leather soles. I prfer them to my trickers commando soles that pick up tonnes of pebbles that have to be prised out. I think leather is something you get used to and once they are broken in and roughed up they are fine.

I do put steel cleats to stop premature wearing on the toes of all mine. I wouldn't want to put glue on topy soles on. That just seems odd to me, surely it's better to buy the shoes with a sole you like, no?

I do put steel cleats to stop premature wearing on the toes of all mine. I wouldn't want to put glue on topy soles on. That just seems odd to me, surely it's better to buy the shoes with a sole you like, no?

I've bought dress pairs with a Dainite sole to avoid needing to Topy, but it just isn't the same. For me, I just like Topy'ed leather soles. I've worn Topy'ed RMW boots for over 8 years, well before I got into high end dress shoes. It's just what I prefer over leather on its own. But, to each their own I guess. :)

i hate topys

i raised the ire of some supergay when i suggested that topy-ing his carpe diems was akin to wearing a raincoat in the shower. i treat topys like 7-UP. never have it never will

I like 7-UP. Guess it's too late for me, huh?;)

i've had both leather and the commando soles and over all i prefer the commando for more grip. comforts about the same on both

leather soles, especially when it rains or is wet out, is way too slippery for me. maybe its the stones that some of the sidewalks are made of in midtown NYC (as well as the floors in my work building) but wetness + leather soles = running in place on certain parts of NYC sidewalk for me

Fuck! Just lost an ebay auction on a new pair of White's. Tried to snipe 'em at $210, but $228 was the winning bid....still a great price on a new pair.

Seller - whitesriver - continually has brand new pairs on the cheap...if you can find your size, and win.

did arrow mention if the old leater soles had worn through, or did you just resole to change the style? personally I think they look pretty good, although I'd've liked them leather too, and I appreciate everyone's points above...

I think it's a waste to resole unnecessarily, but when I wear through a pair of soles I like to resole with something different.

Thanks everyone for the comments. That is why I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!

Hey Bill... the leather soles were practically brand new (had about 1 month of wear on it) when I had it resoled. The resoling somewhat helped with the comfort but increased the traction. Robert from Alden SF showed me the 5 year old leather soles on his Cordovan Boots and they were still going strong.

The Ravello NST is based on the Aberdeen last and the Chukka NST is based on the Barrie.

4668340154_f8e82024cb.jpg

4746042200_dfcffc0f3a.jpg

One thing is clear to me now... My feet is in heaven with the Tru-Balance last.

4260386178_2794672168.jpg

So a couple of random questions. Sorry if they've been asked, couldn't find them in search.

1) Is there anywhere I can buy a sleeker commando sole? Alden sleek.

2) I have smaller feet so goodyear welted soles look a little too clunky on me. Could I get some of the rubber between the outside edge and stitching removed (sanded or sawed or whatever) removed? Could a regular cobbler do this?

Thanks

Nice shell collection cheep! Some really great shoes there....seems like there were so many quality shoe makers based in the USA back in the day, where as now something like 90% of all shoes sold in the U.S. are made in china.

And yes, white'sriver is the official whites factory outlet on Ebay. I've bought two pairs from them, all at great prices!

i'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question, but i'm damn sure these boots will look better with age and i didn't want to bother with the small questions thread because i've seen a lot of questions that go unanswered in there.

anyway, i'm looking for a pair of boots that look like these (ignore massive manboobs):

31790pcn_Rourke06_cut.jpg

they're the ones worn by mickey rourke in the movie ironman 2. i'm especially looking for boots that can be worn loose, like they're being worn here.

can't stop thinking about how will my post look with those huge manboobs in the middle... i might have done better to go and download a pirated iron man 2 and gotten some screenshots, but i'm too lazy to do so.

^All thrifted cheap?

yeah, i didnt pay more than 15 for any of em.

i wsa at the thrift store today and saw 2 pair of allen edmonds and 2 pair of aldens... all less than 10 a pair and in great condition, but all size 6.

I don't know how you find so many good things thrifting down there but great collection nonetheless! All we tend to have here in the Midwest are black Ecco's...Allen Edmonds are somewhat common but never in shell...