Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

White's Oxfords finally arrived.......

img1758y.jpg

I like these alot too. WHere to cop?

What do you guys think - would these be grippy and warm in cold icy & winter weather?

the laces are bad ass too!

Must spread rep.

I don't know. I'm a 9.5 UK in a "5" fitting (D) in Trickers. I'm definitely that size in the stows. I wear the 9 in a "6" fitting in Trickers Cordovan Blucher. And I wear 9E in the Alden Trubalance . I wear a UK 9E to 9.5D in almost everything, including RMW (9G in the craftsman).

Just to clarify.... If your trickers say 9.5 in them then that means they are size 9 width 5, we don't have 0.5 sizes, we have 1/2 sizes.

Before:

Here's a weird question...

Is it possible to have the shoe width change after a resoling job?

For some reason, the boots feel a bit narrower and tighter.

Yes, if the cobbler takes in more leather when he re-does the welt, it will get tighter... Hopefully it isn't too bad on your pair :(

I like these alot too. WHere to cop?

What do you guys think - would these be grippy and warm in cold icy & winter weather?

the laces are bad ass too!

Must spread rep.

You can order from Bakershoe.com - great guys. The sole Morse has on will have you doing splits on ice or snow: no sideways grip at all... I have them on a pair of boots, and they don't get worn in winter :P

Hey my ears are burning!:) Absolutely riff, those soles suck in the snow just like pretty much every crepe sole. The mini vibrams on my SJ's are better, but a lug is best.

Update on both my White's

Smoke jumpers after a few months of daily work wear. These are really holding up to climbing trees and hauling timber, and comfortable as hell..

img1793.jpg

img1796e.jpg

img1799x.jpg

And my new Oxfords after a couple weeks. The crepe sole is like walking on springs - super comfortable walking around NYC all day in these..

img1801z.jpg

img1802.jpg

The family... semi dress coming in the fall:)

img1805f.jpg

img1810h.jpg

Just found those:

http://www.wretch.cc/blog/cherryjuice/26534792

It says "Wesco Jobmaster in Shell Cordovan"

How it's even possible?

I'm just very confused about leathers. I want some custom-made wesco or white's or viberg. but what type of leather is most durable? Any suggestions? I heard what oil tanned is good, but i realy like bullhide look. And is it a nice idea to have a workboot is shell cordovan?

mctaran, that is cordovan, but those are a JP "fashion" workboot.

The standard leathers that White's or Wesco uses in their workboots is extremely thick and durable and I doubt you'd have any problems.

Call White's or bakershoe.com, tell them what you want and they'll make you a solid recommendation.

Just to clarify.... If your trickers say 9.5 in them then that means they are size 9 width 5, we don't have 0.5 sizes, we have 1/2 sizes.

This is what happens when you keep your Stows on a shelf in the garage for a year and not wear them. I'll be rectifying that problem, very soon. Back into rotation! I had to hunt around for them for a good 30min. Gah. Anyway, Fresco, you're right. 9.5 is UK 9 on a "5" fitting. Comparo with the Alden Indy's 9E. (just ignore the dust on the Stows. Really should have given them a quick brush...)

IMG_0808.jpg

Length comparison. Note that the heels of both boots are lined up against the tile grout.

IMG_0809.jpg

Alden

IMG_0810.jpg

Tricker Stow

IMG_0812.jpg

I also have the Maltons in a 9.6 which IMO fits almost exactly like the 9.5 Stow. But that's just me.

As mentioned before UK 9 1/2 "5" fitting on dress Trickers. Here are my Belgraves.

IMG_0816.jpg

^^ can't make out the colour. Is it black, Cigar or #8?
It doesn't say on The Bureau's website, but I think it is a standard model in Cigar.

If you go to the bureau page, and look at the "select color" box it says #8, looks like cigar to me. Also I thought I remember hearing that somewhere that Alden will never make a #8 shoe with a natural leather sole. So I don't know, regardless they look good.

Anybody seen this before? There seems to be a stitch or some thread in the toe box area on a pair of J Crew Indy boots I just received. It doesn't touch my toes, only noticed it when I put my hand in the boot but I'm wondering if this is indicative of poor construction in some way or if it could lead to issues down the road.

Sorry for the crappy photo, iPhone was the only thing that would fit in the shoe to get the picture. This is basically looking straight down the shoe at the end of the toe box.

stitchh.jpg

ok, i got a couple of noob questions... please help me out.

1. how do I get my hands on some Cat Paws??

2. How do Trickers size in comparison with redwings? I wear 8.5D for RW.

3. How do Lone-wolf size in comparison with RW?

thanks!! Will rep+ if you can provide some advice

Anybody seen this before? There seems to be a stitch or some thread in the toe box area on a pair of J Crew Indy boots I just received. It doesn't touch my toes, only noticed it when I put my hand in the boot but I'm wondering if this is indicative of poor construction in some way or if it could lead to issues down the road.

I haven't seen this on the three pairs of Aldens I own, but I don't think this will affect the long term stability/quality of the shoe. If it doesn't touch your toes or make the fit uncomfortable there is nothing for you to worry about.

dawei69: You can get your hands on cat's paws by buying off ebay, or patronizing an old school cobbler thats been in business for a while in your area.

ok, i got a couple of noob questions... please help me out.

thanks!! Will rep+ if you can provide some advice

If it is trickers boots or country collection. Then you should be a uk width 5 aka 8,5

If it is trickers boots or country collection. Then you should be a uk width 5 aka 8,5

1) Any competant shoe repairer in the US can order them in. I had my Whites Semi dress done by Drew's in Oregon. Had to ship them there and back and cost me a small fortune. If you're outside of the US, say, AUSTRALIA, I'd say you're shit out of luck (unless there's someone here who knows something that I don't. You can get Vibrams and Topy's easily enough here, though).

2) Direct comparo between Trickers Stow UK9 (5) and RW875 US9E. The RWs are actually too short for me and currently out of rotation. I really should have gotten either a 9.5E or 10D (had to get those online).

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

3) Not sure about the lonewolf's sorry. You might want to ask Ed. He's got several pairs.

Before:

4536641934_c38fa175f1_o.jpg

After:

4746041950_b3d58e5dfd_b.jpg

4746042438_05890d0558_b.jpg

Here's a weird question...

Is it possible to have the shoe width change after a resoling job?

For some reason, the boots feel a bit narrower and tighter.

One of the best applications of Cat's Paws I have ever seen. I saw them a couple of days ago somewhere else. Didn't change the thickness of the sole like some other additions I have seen. Nice job.

One of the best applications of Cat's Paws I have ever seen. I saw them a couple of days ago somewhere else. Didn't change the thickness of the sole like some other additions I have seen. Nice job.

this is really weird but I just had a really strong deja vu experience. I'm pretty sure I had a dream about resolving shoes like that, but I've never seen those shoes before and I had no idea what car paws were until now.

yeah that resoling job looks great! can i ask where u got them done>? thanks

I think djarrow did a wonderful job, but I'm with fre$co.

Cat's Paws are too utlitarian for sleeker, leather-soled Cordovan shoes. It's great that's been done, they're pretty unique, but if everyone follows that example it's a waste both of shoes and soles, which together come to less than the sum of their parts.

so i have some more shoes to add to the thread, both pairs that i got in the 80's and which have aged well:

1) cowboy boots. got these in the late 80s on a trip to corpus christie, texas, to help my dad install a sculpture show. we decided to get boots together. they're by nocona, and are bullhide.

recently i pulled them out of the closet after a good 10 years in there and brought them back to life with several coats of obenhauf's. once i determined they weren't going to fall apart, i gave them to my local cobbler to replace the rubber end heels.

bootst.jpg

2) brown wing tips. i got these in 1986 with my stepdad (a man who knows shoes. his are all custom made, i need to photograph some of his for this place, but that'll be another day.) he spotted these and told me that i needed some "real shoes" and told me to use shoe horns with them (i listened, and that's why they are still around.) they don't have a brand that i can see but are marked "made in england" and have some hand written numbers that might be a clue as to what they are. they are fully leather lined as well (which surprised me.) pulled these out and restored them along with the cowboy boots. i had gotten these new heels sometime in the past so i didn't need to send them to the cobbler.

shoesside.jpg

shoestop.jpg

shoesinside.jpg

shoesinside2.jpg

I think djarrow did a wonderful job, but I'm with fre$co.

Cat's Paws are too utlitarian for sleeker, leather-soled Cordovan shoes. It's great that's been done, they're pretty unique, but if everyone follows that example it's a waste both of shoes and soles, which together come to less than the sum of their parts.

I agree with Paul T 100%. Don't just do it because it looks "cool" or unique.

My reason for the resoling was strictly for comfort. The new Rubber sole made a huge difference in terms of comfort level when walking around in the SF fog city. Also, as I stated before, be careful when resoling because there is a possibility of the shoe ending up a bit narrower/tighter.

The original sole on my Indy's are doing their job just right so I'm leaving them alone.