Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Guyz, I'm looking for vintage inspired or re-issued high sneakers besides the regular far east converse stuff. Any ideas besides searching old originals, PF Flyers or dubbleworks??? Thanks!

Apologies if I'm spamming, but I just found another William Lennon boot, made in Derby, that turns me on. I love the almost calvin-esque plain-ness of them. Well-priced at £124.

I know fre$co has seen these - do tell more about the construction. Has anyone worn them??

Hey Paul. I've seen them before and was pretty surprised about their well price. But I'm afraid they're not goodyear-welted, am I right?

Gotta remember, anything that's metal on these boots (including the hardware) is made of jewelry grade sterling silver.

Excessive, but then again, what isn't in Japan?

That is nuts. Jewelry grade silver on work boots...... hmmm

Paul,

I haven't seen them in person but I have spoken to someone at the factory and they stand by the brass screw construction that predates goodyear welt (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong). They are fully resoleable and tough looking. All the nice looking ones are their own boots and made in derbyshire.

I came close to ordering but was a little put off by the lack of half sizes (which I need).

Those you posted were the ones I nearly ordered. A bargain if ever I saw one!

I just bought a pair of red wing gt's (moc toe) and am a little iffy of the size I got.

Initially I bought the non-moc toe version, which the store had to order, in size 10.5. I bought them then walked around the city and in a matter of 5-10 minutes, what started out as normal, run-of-the-mill tightness turned into my not being able to walk and having my left foot start to fall asleep. So I went back to the store and exchanged them for the moc toe version in a half size up of 11. After that I was at least able to walk home without looking like a crippled mess. However, there is some looseness in the heel area, which is giving me blisters. I know that's not a good thing, but I'm thinking once I get some insoles it will be a better fit.

Can someone tell me if I made the right decision switching to the 11's? I know you're supposed to size down for red wings, which I'm still doing, but only by a half size and not a full size down. I usually wear 11.5-12 for shoes/boots, and 11 for sneakers.

Sorry if this is a long and confusing question. I'd really appreciate some advice, though.

Guyz, I'm looking for vintage inspired or re-issued high sneakers besides the regular far east converse stuff. Any ideas besides searching old originals, PF Flyers or dubbleworks??? Thanks!

Dr., what about USKeds? Not sure your size, but they have the Keds Big Leaguer Hi for sale. It's a late fourties early fifties sneaker:

http://en.item.rakuten.com/happystore/us-8092/

http://en.item.rakuten.com/giamb/8092/

And these black Keds x Calee x collab:

http://search.borderless.rakuten.com/borderless/search.action?l=en&pf=&pt=&f=0&fs=0&vm=2&sm=0&sp.st=&t=new&tl=0&k=calee+keds

I just bought a pair of red wing gt's (moc toe) and am a little iffy of the size I got.

Initially I bought the non-moc toe version, which the store had to order, in size 10.5. I bought them then walked around the city and in a matter of 5-10 minutes, what started out as normal, run-of-the-mill tightness turned into my not being able to walk and having my left foot start to fall asleep. So I went back to the store and exchanged them for the moc toe version in a half size up of 11. After that I was at least able to walk home without looking like a crippled mess. However, there is some looseness in the heel area, which is giving me blisters. I know that's not a good thing, but I'm thinking once I get some insoles it will be a better fit.

Can someone tell me if I made the right decision switching to the 11's? I know you're supposed to size down for red wings, which I'm still doing, but only by a half size and not a full size down. I usually wear 11.5-12 for shoes/boots, and 11 for sneakers.

Sorry if this is a long and confusing question. I'd really appreciate some advice, though.

only you will know if you made the right decision, but sounds like your problem will be solved if you insert some nice insoles and lace them up well.

if they debilitated your feet and put them to sleep after walking around for just 10 minutes, then yeah i think they were probably too small for you. that just sounds like way too much pain to break them in.

if you wear 11.5-12 for most shoes/boots, then 11 should be good. i wear 9.5-10 for most shoes, and both my GT's are size 9. the insole will also mold to your foot shape after you wear them for a long time, so there will be less heel slip

For my RW's I had to size down, so I can't say I'm familiar with that tightness, but if you sized up you can try thicker socks or of course the insole fallen angels recommended

woolen socks worked really well for me..

re: GTs. Although I love mine, they are unlike many other boots I've had in that they've gotten a bit less comfortable over time. Not the overall fit, but specifically the insole. At the end of the day the soles of my feet will often be pretty pained... some of this undoubtedly has to do with the layers of leather compressing and having less give, and I'm sure that wearing down the rubber sole more and more isn't helping either.

Anyhow, my point was meant to be: insoles! Even incredibly thin ones (my favorites are the ones that come in Wallabees, actually) do a fantastic job. Just shows how much difference even a tiny layer of fabric or leather can make...

I've got 5 pairs of Red Wings. Size down one, at least a half and you'll be fine.

Dr., what about USKeds? Not sure your size, but they have the Keds Big Leaguer Hi for sale. It's a late fourties early fifties sneaker:

http://en.item.rakuten.com/happystore/us-8092/

http://en.item.rakuten.com/giamb/8092/

And these black Keds x Calee x collab:

http://search.borderless.rakuten.com/borderless/search.action?l=en&pf=&pt=&f=0&fs=0&vm=2&sm=0&sp.st=&t=new&tl=0&k=calee+keds

Thanks man, looking nice. Always new stuff to discover, eh? :P

Does anyone know how Trickers brogues fit compared to the Alden Truebalance last? If I'm a 10 on the Truebalance, would I need a 9.5 (UK) in the Trickers?
Yeah as long as you don't have wide feet

That trubalance last is weird. Really different to Alden's other lasts (at least to me.)

I own 5 pairs of Trickers and a pair of Fan Indy's. I'm 9E to 9.5D on all my trickers (depending on the last). I'm a 9E on the trubalance last (see?). 10D on AE and other Aldens.

I'm also a 9.5E on Whites semi.

That trubalance last is weird. Really different to Alden's other lasts (at least to me.)

I own 5 pairs of Trickers and a pair of Fan Indy's. I'm 9E to 9.5D on all my trickers (depending on the last). I'm a 9E on the trubalance last (see?). 10D on AE and other Aldens.

I'm also a 9.5E on Whites semi.

just to clarify my previous rushed reply:

I wear 9E in Alden - Trubalance and barrie

8 1/2UK in Trickers (6 fitting - wide)

Stows didn't fit because they only come in 5 fitting.

9E in white's

and for Mr Ranonranonarat - I wear a UK9 in Clarks desert boots, but if they made a wider fit, I could probably go down to 8 1/2

i'm sorry in advance for a question that would have been asked before, but re: RW 875 sizing - is the general consensus to size down 1? i wear a US 10 in vans authentics for comparison. i'm also oblivious to which shoe width i'd be, is there any way to tell? i would go and try a pair on but there isn't a RW stockist in my city so i have to order online. i have the worst luck in the world regarding shoe sizing, i always somehow seem to get it wrong.

9E in white's

and for Mr Ranonranonarat - I wear a UK9 in Clarks desert boots, but if they made a wider fit, I could probably go down to 8 1/2

ehhhhh sorry if it sounds dumb, but kinda lost. would that mean sizing down half from my clarks dbs would give me a good chance on the indys?

My contribution to Shoes that look batter with age, otherwise known as "cordovan" in my parlance.

These are my three year young Alden Colour 8 NST's. They've been heavily worn, and are still going strong. My advice to anybody that wants to spoil themselves - call Tom at Leather Soul and order a pair of NST boots...

P6293508.jpg

P6293509.jpg

desu

ehhhhh sorry if it sounds dumb, but kinda lost. would that mean sizing down half from my clarks dbs would give me a good chance on the indys?

If you have the UK size in your clarks, I'd say half up from that. Is that the same as half down from your US size? IE: my clarks size should be 8 1/2 UK, my indy size is 9US.

Of course that is only my experience..... Your best bet would be to try them on or get your feet measured on a brannock device somewhere.

Clear as mud?

9E in white's

I wear my stows in 9.5D and they fit fine. Same with the Maltons. 9E in whites is about 1/4 inch too short. I can wear them, but they pinch a little. 9E in the Trubalance last and 10D in the Aberdeen last (a bit long, but the width is just right - probably would be better with a 9E or 9.5E but there isn't a lot of Aldens available in Aus). I don't know how you can squeeze into a 8.5UK if you can comfortably fit in a 9E in the Indy's. I guess every foot is different. I can fit into a pair of 8.5 Clarks, but am more comfortable in a 9.

Before:

4536641934_c38fa175f1_o.jpg

After:

4746041950_b3d58e5dfd_b.jpg

4746042438_05890d0558_b.jpg

Here's a weird question...

Is it possible to have the shoe width change after a resoling job?

For some reason, the boots feel a bit narrower and tighter.

I wear my stows in 9.5D and they fit fine. Same with the Maltons. 9E in whites is about 1/4 inch too short. I can wear them, but they pinch a little. 9E in the Trubalance last and 10D in the Aberdeen last (a bit long, but the width is just right - probably would be better with a 9E or 9.5E but there isn't a lot of Aldens available in Aus). I don't know how you can squeeze into a 8.5UK if you can comfortably fit in a 9E in the Indy's. I guess every foot is different. I can fit into a pair of 8.5 Clarks, but am more comfortable in a 9.

Hold on. Aren't your 9.5d trickers the same as my 8 1/2 trickers? And we are both 9e in Indys.

Hold on. Aren't your 9.5d trickers the same as my 8 1/2 trickers? And we are both 9e in Indys.

I don't know. I'm a 9.5 UK in a "5" fitting (D) in Trickers. I'm definitely that size in the stows. I wear the 9 in a "6" fitting in Trickers Cordovan Blucher. And I wear 9E in the Alden Trubalance . I wear a UK 9E to 9.5D in almost everything, including RMW (9G in the craftsman).

I put a few shoes on the bay that some might be interested in.

My garrison Boots size 11 D

dsp_dsc03222.jpg

and Two C-Cleat Vintage Florsheim Imperials

On in Cordovan size 13 D

dsp_dsc03845.jpg

and another in pebble cafe size 8 E

dsp_dsc03855.jpg

I figured since posted pictures it's not as bad as just a "buy my stuff" link...