Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Those william lennon boots are good looking. I've been on the edge of buying the cap toe ones a few times. The circa £120 boots are all made in the derbyshire factory using traditional techniques. They are brass screw construction, which is different to what is usually seen around here but good none the less and resoleable. I've spoken to them a couple of times and they are very helpful. Unfortunately though, no half sizes.

Engine2.jpg

16-year-old engineers. Debating a resole. Not worth much, so I think I'll skip the double-leather-blah-blah-Cat's-Paw redo. Should I play it safe with a Vib 700 or go full-moon-boot with a white wedge? Are there black wedges out there? That might be cool.

Blundstone 420. My main motorcycle boot for the past 4 years. Worn the PU sole down to the bottom and now have water seeping in when I walk on puddles. Blunnies are pretty much disposable anyway. I've got a pair of RM Williams Comfort Turnout Craftsman in brown on order and will have them by next week. These will be relegated to garden duty. I'll probably be looking at getting a pair of engineer boots in the future. Thought I'd share some pics before putting them away in the shed.

I'll be posting pics of my RMW when they arrive. :)

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

DDML, can you resole Blundstones? Where? I have a knackered 20-year-old pair that are my all-time favourite boots (against much more expensive competition) and I would love to get them resoled. I'd always assumed they weren't worth bothering with, but I kept them, regardless.

There are black wedges, but I think instead of the 700, a single leather blah, blah, blah with a 705 might look pretty sharp.

It'll be a shame not to give these nice boots a classic sole.

Got around to looking up black wedges and they are ugly, so that is out. I have two hesitation about doing a leather sole and half rubber:

1) Cost. I've certainly got my money's worth out of these boots. However, at $125-$175 for a resole, I start debating a new boot over keeping the wheels on these.

2) I favor the wedge because stylistically I'm not trying to recreate a vintage outfit stitch-for-stitch. I'm looking for a modern interpretation that captures the essence of a bygone era. In this case, the wedge seems more up-to-date and less "dress up" to me. (This is not a criticism of people who obsessively seek out historically accurate clothing, to each there own).

I clearly understand why people dislike the wedge-on-engineer look. It can quickly take on a Napoleon-Dynamite-moon-boot steez.

There's the rub. I'm not really settled any of the options, yet. I will admit that thinking of these old girls with a leather sole with some 705s does get the panties moist.

A lot of places will glue on a new sole.

I have a buddy with two dramatically different sized feet. For him resoles are a must as finding the proper-fitting shoes often requires buying two pairs. He had a pair of Doc Marten boots resoled the way this place is doing it and they seem to have held up fine. The new rubber is a helluva lot heavier than the original sole, though.

(Nordstrom will sell you two different sized shoes for the standard price, just FYI.)

A lot of places will glue on a new sole

i haven't had it done, myself, so i can't comment on the durability of a resole

but at $65 it is a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing 'em

Good suggestion, DDML, but there's a reason why no one in Australia resoles Blunnies. I'd pay $65 for a rebuild of leather soled goodyear welted boots, but for a pair of blunnies I picked up at Payless for about $85AUD (US$70)... And that's not even including the shipping to the US.

I'm also looking to see if I can get a pair of Blundstone 062. A bit more expensive than your regular Blunnies. I'm going to be searching around for the perfect replacement boot. Photos of the RMW when they arrive, but in hindsight, I don't want to subject the yearling leather to take the kind of abuse these Blunnies have had.

Ugh, what a bummer. I just discovered a giant crack in the leather sole of one of my Whites. Those soles were just put on in the winter, when I sent them back to Whites for a defect in the goodyear welt that appeared. I wore them pretty hard, but I had expected to get more than one season out of these soles.

It's been a little more than a year since I bought these from Whites, and this will be the third time they've had to go back (first pair exchanged with bad eyelets). I wonder if they'll want to charge me for the resole.

So a quick update on my defective 403's. Alden called me a day after I sent them an e-mail, complete with pictures, explaining my situation. The man I talked to was very kind and apologetic and explained that he believes both pairs probably came from a defective batch. He will, of course, replace it, but there's a two month wait before the next one in my size is ready. I guess by the time I have the defect ones nicely broken in I'll be sending them back. Oh joy.

here is some side by side comparisons of my 9014s and 9012s

boot1.jpg

boot2.jpg

boot3.jpg

all of the pictures i have seen on ebay and other retailers make the 9014s look to have a very narrow toe almost like a dress shoe but i was happily surprised they are much more work boot like.