Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I've noticed when I wear my jeans that the denim is fading where it creases. Are my jeans sick or something? Should I call a denim whisperer?
Why in the hell did you buy a pair of boots that men have been wearing to perform hard labor in for over 100 years? I guess for the same reason most of you did..to see how pretty they turn out after 8 months.
stop it. wear your boots.

okay okay! I assume its nothing to worry about- i'm just over reacting :D.

Just never owned good leather footwear, so I wanted to know if things were okay; as I do want to have the GTs in service for a long time.

I'd been looking for a good pair of boots recently and ended up getting these Chippewas off of ebay for $43 bucks. Not bad for some US made boots! I had almost pulled the trigger on some new GT's but thought those were a little too gentlemanly for my tastes. A new pair of laces and some lysol to disinfect them and I think I've got some decent boots.

I think they're this model or similar to this model - http://www.americanmadeworkboots.com/chippewa25290.html

DSCF0235.jpg

So I seem to be having really bad luck with Alden. I got the 403 from the aldenshop in SF and after wearing around the house a few hours I noticed a defect on the inside of one shoe making the leather scrunch up a bunch in one spot making it quite uncomfortable. So after talking to aldenshop on the phone I drove back to the store and returned the shoes while they ordered another pair sent directly to me. I received this new pair a few days ago and after wearing not more then a few hours have noticed this...

IMG_4044.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

...on the outer right shoe and this...

IMG_4048.jpg

...on the inner left.

Really? I've heard of Alden having some quality control issues but two pairs in a row? The thing is I really loves these shoes so I'm not giving up on them yet. I suppose I have to go back to the store now? Or should I send them an email with these pictures and see if they want me to send them back? I really don't want to drive to the city just to return these shoes. I'm pretty sure these are costing me more than 500 when all is said and done.

Suggestions?

Contact Alden direct and explain to them the situation. This isn't an uncommon problem unfortunately, it happened to my brother's Indy boots and he sent them to Alden and they came back better then before with a little reinforcement of the stitching in this area. Might be easier, though take longer, then just returning them if you aren't close to the store.

I don't know why Alden doesn't chance how they stitch this area as I have seen a good handful of these issues and it would be hard to beef up the stitching right there I wouldn't think.

atrocious. IMO, these things shouldn't happen when you pay 400 for a shoe. I would use your full consumer arsenal.

Call, write a letter and bitch. Tell them the image of the brand is diminished in your mind. that you are hesitant o recommend them to you're peers, because of the defect(S). Mention how you have a relationship with (insert name here) from leathersoul or Whites or something and how you decided not to go with them because of Alden's prestige and reputation.

you deserve free shit. Interest on your money if nothing else.

When did you pay and how many days are you waiting for satisfactory product? so far?

atrocious. IMO, these things shouldn't happen when you pay 400 for a shoe. I would use your full consumer arsenal.

Call, write a letter and bitch. Tell them the image of the brand is diminished in your mind. that you are hesitant o recommend them to you're peers, because of the defect(S). Mention how you have a relationship with (insert name here) from leathersoul or Whites or something and how you decided not to go with them because of Alden's prestige and reputation.

you deserve free shit. Interest on your money if nothing else.

When did you pay and how many days are you waiting for satisfactory product? so far?

Are you suggesting that he pretend to have a relationship with someone from Leathersoul or White's just to get better service from Alden?

If so, I think that's a pretty shitty way to ask for something, especially when you're dealing with a respectable company who generally seem to do everything to correct problems. Waving their competitors names around (insincerely, no less) seems really unnecessary at best and morally dubious at worst.

yes i am. consumers shouldn't have to but, why not. You don't owe them anything. You gave them the money; fufilled your part of the contract/bargain and they failed on their end.

I don't care if they fix it. it should be right the first time. "craftmanship", "hand made," "attention to detail"??? all those buzz words turn into lies and marketing when the product is fucked up.

sorry but for that cash i want it to be right the first time or i want to be compensated. call me stingy for expecting a company to deliver what it promises.

i tend to agree with geneticdrifter on the expectation of quality, but disagree about naming fictional connections to other brands.

i bought alden factory seconds, and am very happy with them, but i knew i was getting shoes with a defect. someone should have caught that issue and put those boots on the factory seconds list and sent you a different pair.

IMHO, you need to contact alden and they should be willing to make this right, which should include some sort of freebie or coupon for a discount off of a future purchase... something to show that they care about your business.

i dont know about anyone else, but i would be pretty miffed if i was spending 400USD and getting something that fell apart so easily. if it happened once, i might still be able to accept that, but twice? it would really make me think twice. having to drive back to the store and all, the trouble, the anguish and all, i would really think twice about the brand and want a full refund for that.

if this happened to my cheap made in china sneakers, i would understand. its just that you dont buy a audemars piguet watch and realise the links starting to loosen after a few wears.

that said, i still think alden makes wicked boots and i believe they do make stuff that are of great quality. i would love to see how the customer service rep handles thanatos's case.

You could just consider it beautiful aging and display it like torn threads on a back pocket of jeans or something. :D

so just to play devil's advocate because its saturday and i'm bored:

if i called White's a few times and chatted with a guy over there about full metal shanks and chromexcel, can i name drop. is that a "relationship?"

if we talked about cap toes, metal shanks and the fact that we both love black women. is that a "relationship?" ;)

if we talked ten times, i order nothing but me and this fictional guy at whites both love shiner, black ass, full metal shanks, cap toes but, he doesn't know my name and thinks i'm his customer. is that a "relationship"?

do i need to know his children by name? does he have to pet my dog?

when am i not "morally dubious" anymore? Does the high horse give you epic hemorrhoid fades?

It's been three weeks since my original trip. Guess I'll contact Alden directly and explain the situation to them and go from there. We'll see what happens.

so just to play devil's advocate because its saturday and i'm bored:

if i called White's a few times and chatted with a guy over there about full metal shanks and chromexcel, can i name drop. is that a "relationship?"

if we talked about cap toes, metal shanks and the fact that we both love black women. is that a "relationship?" ;)

if we talked ten times, i order nothing but me and this fictional guy at whites both love shiner, black ass, full metal shanks, cap toes but, he doesn't know my name and thinks i'm his customer. is that a "relationship"?

do i need to know his children by name? does he have to pet my dog?

when am i not "morally dubious" anymore? Does the high horse give you epic hemorrhoid fades?

Enough already

bullshit my alden has that same problem ( ls ultimate) and until now after 1 resole still intact nothing fell off or anything.. i just made a knot and used a lighter to burn/shrink the thread

Is it fair to say that the ultimate indys are not that ultimate at all.

Is it fair to say that the ultimate indys are not that ultimate at all.

mine were/are, but they were from the first batch.... maybe it got worst later on?

I have some loosed threads in the same spot on my roy boots. i suspect it is due to having that corner so close to where the boot bend when you walk. i am going to keep and eye on mine and see if it gets worse. if it does it is right back to alden to be repaird. come to think of it, every time i have seen this issue come up it is always the left boots... huh.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I like the look of these william lennon boots.

Really plain, old-school British look to them. Here's the 78PTC dealier boot.Wonderful chunky design. I tried to direct link to their site, failed, so I might have shuffled some of their pics. CHeck them out at williamlennon.co.uj

p1080763copybig.jpg

And this is their world war one roughout. I think these are all made in Derby and look very attrattively prices to me. The leather looks workmanlike, rather than beautiful, which seems part of their workwear heritage.

Check out their prices for Solvair boots, too: £79, which doesn't seem bad compared to the Chinese-made Docs.

World War 1 replica:

p1080749copybig.jpg

Traditional work boot, commando sole. £79!

p1080784copybig.jpg

I've recommended Grafters, here, in the past, and for £45 mine have been great. THey're still going strong. These look to be slightly better made, altho probably even heavier in terms of contruction, and from the photos these look like better quality leather. But for £79 or so these look look just as big a bargain to me.

Check out their foundry, shepherd and other working boots, too!