Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

I agree with you about the comfort, but I can't agree about it looking funky in the toebox. The Modified is absolutely my favourite Alden last in terms of look. It has a really vintage appearance which may not be to everyone's taste but I love it....goes great with old school denim. It also looks absolutely unique. Nothing from anyone else looks anything like it.

Unfortunately, as you mentioned, nice make ups on it are generally expensive and difficult to find outside Japan and Anatomica in Paris. Moulded shoe usually have the Norwegian split toe model in this last, though, which is a great looking shoe IMO.

The other thing about the Modified last is that you really need to be fitted by someone who knows what they are doing to find your correct size. Your size in the Modified doesn't usually have much to do with what you wear in other lasts. It also doesn't work at all for some people's feet.

Buying your first pair on the Modified last on the internet is therefore likely to be something of a crap-shoot. Good luck with it.:)

just got them and they feel and look great. going to try them on with a suit in a little bit and get the wife's opinion, wear them around the house and make sure they fit right so if i need to return them i can.

i have high arches and suffer from "judo toe" (where your pinky toe is broken repeatedly and you end up needing a bit more room in the toebox because of it) so i may have stumbled upon my perfect last by "ordering my first pair on the modified last on the internet"

maybe i should start shooting craps too, eh?

just got them and they feel and look great. going to try them on with a suit in a little bit and get the wife's opinion, wear them around the house and make sure they fit right so if i need to return them i can.

i have high arches and suffer from "judo toe" (where your pinky toe is broken repeatedly and you end up needing a bit more room in the toebox because of it) so i may have stumbled upon my perfect last by "ordering my first pair on the modified last on the internet"

maybe i should start shooting craps too, eh?

Which pair did you get? They were factory seconds right? What was the blemish? Post some pics dude.

After Cat's Paw treatment...

4667714933_1fcaabd31f_b.jpg

Where'd you get that done. Somewhere in the bay area? How much was it?

Memorial Day weekend Southern VT I snagged NWOT Orvis x Alden Aviator boots @ 60% off at the Orvis tent sale in Manchester VT. TruBalance last plain toe oiled nubuck. Will try to post pics but these are exactly what I had been looking for for a while.

There were a bunch of Aldens and Gokeys on the tables in various sizes, they might turn up in the Orvis Outlet store in Manchester at deep discounts . . .

Damn you. Fantastic deal and boots. You should have bought two pair.

Pics!

To soothe your Cat's Paw affliction... pay a visit to Al's Attire North Beach.

Cost is somewhere around $100 plus.... (while he still has 'em)

Tarrago black shoe cream.

Some standard mink oil

application for one hour every week for three weeks, wearing them every day.

its geting too hot now so i will put some extra mink oil or dubbin before storing them until next fall.

purcell time is coming

Tarrago black shoe cream.

Some standard mink oil

application for one hour every week for three weeks, wearing them every day.

its geting too hot now so i will put some extra mink oil or dubbin before storing them until next fall.

purcell time is coming

Did you use the black shoe cream on the natural color of the welt and heel parts too?

I was talking with someone at Wesco last month about this. Wesco no longer carries roller buckles, but will put them on if you supply them. Anybody know of a source?

Those boots look great. Is that the western toe? I wasn't keen on it until I saw your books broken in. I was thinking of having something put together on a stacked heel (a no-go with the moto patrol toe).

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/eflyer/1006RT-USA/pg20.aspx

The "all purpose strap buckles" have rollers too, you can't really see in the pictures. Just search for the item number on Tandy's site to order them. Dunno if they have the right size though.

i found these at a vintage shop in west virginia for just a few bucks during a camping trip to kentucky. I almost immediately saw potential in having the skate blades removed and bottoms resoled to use as regular boots. ive done a little researching on them and they're from the mid-30ish so these would be some seriously rad vintage kicks if my plan goes accordingly.

ive wanted to find thin leather boots in the same vein as these for a reaaaly long time and these fit the bill perfectly. i love the craftsmanship of these and i'm really quite impressed at how well they've held up in the past 75 years or so..

this brings me to my point...does anyone know of any reaaaly skilled shoe repair/cobblers in nyc? theres a hundred billion of them around the city and im not sure how to narrow them down. i saw the old post stating a few cobblers in the city but id really like to find a place that can keep these as close to original as possible. anyone know more about the place on st.marks with the vintage stitching equipment mentioned in the old post? shoe solution on lexington? minas on wall st?

any thoughts on what kind/color sole i should seek out? there is a slight rise in the back that might require a heel but id really rather not have a heel and instead just a thicker sole in the back. would this be weird? i really like the look of boots without heels kind of reminiscent of how some opening ceremony boots are flat bottomed.

think i should i try to have the toe leather repaired at all? its slightly scuffed and roughed up and i'd like to have them repaired to last but i wonder how they'd go about it or if they'd make the toe look inconsistent with the rest of the shoe?

4672549868_0db712b2f3.jpg

4671900447_34af411882.jpg

4672526568_33ed57c65b.jpg

Which pair did you get? They were factory seconds right? What was the blemish? Post some pics dude.

these are cap toe bluchers in black and are on the modified last. they were factory seconds and i got them for $289 instead of $389. here's a link to the full info for the shoe: http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ortho_mod_559.htm

sorry i just got around to taking pics:

topviewaldens.jpg

sideviewalden.jpg

bottomviewaldens.jpg

and this is the defect as far as i can tell

defectaldens.jpg

these are cap toe bluchers in black and are on the modified last. they were factory seconds and i got them for $289 instead of $389. here's a link to the full info for the shoe: http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ortho_mod_559.htm

sorry i just got around to taking pics:

topviewaldens.jpg

Great buy - I paid $465 for them at Moulded Shoe - new.. They are not a stock item - Perf Cap Toe in Calf.

They are a special make up - should be fully leather lined (Stock model is in kidskin and partially cloth lined). So you basically got a pair of Alden Modified Last built to Alden New England Standards for $289 - so I think you did well.

Actually haven't worn them yet as I've got lot's of Shoes on Modified Last and was able to save an old pair I thought were done for. Sitting in my closet for the past 6 months, waiting to get broken in...

Check the lining for me - I bet they are fully leather lined...

...does anyone know of any reaaaly skilled shoe repair/cobblers?

not in nyc but the only place i trust my shoes and boots with is willie's shoe service in hollywood. i know they do a lot of mail in work and raul is seriously the most skilled cobbler i've dealt with. if you email him the pics you posted and give him a call i have no doubt he'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

INTEREST CHECK:

Looking to sell my:

Alden "Little Tanks" 11.5D

9.5/10

and my

White's Semi Dress 10.5

Double Double Sole w/ Rubber (Vibram) Outer Sole

8.5/10

Both come with original boxes. Just looking to see if any of you are interested. Please PM me. Cheers!

not in nyc but the only place i trust my shoes and boots with is willie's shoe service in hollywood. i know they do a lot of mail in work and raul is seriously the most skilled cobbler i've dealt with. if you email him the pics you posted and give him a call i have no doubt he'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

In NYC - I've heard great things about:

www.bnelsonshoes.com

Ask for Nick V

Check the lining for me - I bet they are fully leather lined...

i felt inside and the leather lining does not extend all the way into the toe area, so i think they may not be fully leather lined.

Are they kidskin or calf?

i think calf but have no idea how to tell. it doesn't say anywhere on the shoe or box.

they aren't shell, that's for sure.

this brings me to my point...does anyone know of any reaaaly skilled shoe repair/cobblers in nyc? theres a hundred billion of them around the city and im not sure how to narrow them down. i saw the old post stating a few cobblers in the city but id really like to find a place that can keep these as close to original as possible. anyone know more about the place on st.marks with the vintage stitching equipment mentioned in the old post? shoe solution on lexington? minas on wall st?

sz has a pretty good thread on cobbling, mainly in nyc

http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7128

they like park slope, peerless, one on wall st, can't remember name, not minas, and others

Guest jbone45
Redwing GT in black cherry, worn for 1 year

4676811360_4db8e0a254.jpg

4676832480_b4f2df06c2.jpg

cleaned them up and rubbed on some mink oil:

4676875152_ee1ecaf0f1.jpg

waiting to dry:

4676257771_32d4c2aaec.jpg

Those RW GT's look great! Keep it up.