Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

does anyone hear wear oxfords/brogues/wingtips (basically anything that isn't a boot) without socks? With low socks? trying to figure out summer styles but don't want smelly feet

What ^ said is probably right. I wear loafer socks if i wanna go sockless. in my opinion when I have loafer socks on, my feet are far more comfortable than when I go sockless.

what do you guys know about the alden modified last?

after taking the advice posted about shoemart.com and factory seconds, i went to the alden store and got sized (7E in aldens, 8D in most shoes) and now have a chance to get some nice alden dress shoes for a steep discount. the only thing that i am unsure about is the last. what is the modified last?

Great last - very comfortable. They look a little funky in the toe box but you'll get used to them. Very limited styling on the Modified but Alden Store sometimes has them on sale. If you like they way they fit, but them - very comfortable shoes. If you want more variety in the US on that Last - go to Moulded Shoe. If you want real variety on that last - you'll need to purchase thru Japan or Anatomica in Paris. You're gonna pay up big to buy the so be prepared - but if you want real variety, you have no choice....

Also - once you've found your size in Modified Last - signup for Shoe Mart seconds list and hang out till there's a second in your size coming out of Japan, France or Moulded Shoe...

Got these on Friday. Went straight to work on the my house (storm doors, yard work, flower bed, roof sealant). They are fantastic. Why did it take so long for me to know about these?

I will clean and Obenauf in due time.

img2303e.jpg

img2304t.jpg

img2305y.jpg

img2306p.jpg

img2307o.jpg

img2309kn.jpg

Hey Joelz, you could always try something like this...

http://www.selectism.com/news/2010/06/01/falke-invisible-socks/

What ^ said is probably right. I wear loafer socks if i wanna go sockless. in my opinion when I have loafer socks on, my feet are far more comfortable than when I go sockless.

That's what prompted the post braid - now i just need to find a good source of loafer socks

or those crazy see thru things

does anyone hear wear oxfords/brogues/wingtips (basically anything that isn't a boot) without socks? With low socks? trying to figure out summer styles but don't want smelly feet

I rarely wear socks, but I'm pretty sure I'm a freak because my feet just don't sweat unless I'm walking around a theme park for like 5 hours in Texas heat. Other than that, mine are fine. My wife hates on me because of it.

thought it was time for an update on my Alden 405's and Wesco's... no real light as it was getting dark, but you get the idea....

I've been trying to rotate and wear at least twice a week per pair.

DSC03369.jpg

DSC03356.jpg

DSC03361.jpg

DSC03360.jpg

DSC03366.jpg

DSC03368.jpg

DSC03363.jpg

Great last - very comfortable. They look a little funky in the toe box but you'll get used to them. Very limited styling on the Modified but Alden Store sometimes has them on sale. If you like they way they fit, but them - very comfortable shoes. If you want more variety in the US on that Last - go to Moulded Shoe. If you want real variety on that last - you'll need to purchase thru Japan or Anatomica in Paris. You're gonna pay up big to buy the so be prepared - but if you want real variety, you have no choice....

Also - once you've found your size in Modified Last - signup for Shoe Mart seconds list and hang out till there's a second in your size coming out of Japan, France or Moulded Shoe...

well, i found a pair on the seconds list and will be getting them in the mail soon. i hope they are as nice as i think they will be and will post pics.

Memorial Day weekend Southern VT I snagged NWOT Orvis x Alden Aviator boots @ 60% off at the Orvis tent sale in Manchester VT. TruBalance last plain toe oiled nubuck. Will try to post pics but these are exactly what I had been looking for for a while.

There were a bunch of Aldens and Gokeys on the tables in various sizes, they might turn up in the Orvis Outlet store in Manchester at deep discounts . . .

^^^^Beautiful WESCO's HH. Thanks for the update. I noticed you have some old school roller buckles on them. Does WESCO still carry them?

thanks, I don't know. You're the second to ask me. They did when I ordered them back in 2004. Maybe it's a special thing you have to ask for....

Somebody with small feet really should snatch up the super cheap White's I'm selling...$150 shipped. Check out the link in my signature.

Journey's.

They do slip off your feet sometimes, but they work pretty well.

awesome - i did some googling and that seems to be a good source of them...seems like i'll have to get them online

Just got this today, ordered them since April 5. Navy bourton natural welt with dainite sole, i wear 7UK in stow so i ordered 6.5UK for the bourton and fit perfectly. The bourton has a pointer toe compare to the stow. The shoe cream also works pretty good.

2di3fvl.jpg

34dkcar.jpg

2vvmd1f.jpg

vb3bq.jpg

1424ihk.jpg

they seem too dressy to me to have cat paws on them. I hope you wore down the original soles before you did that....

And yes on my 405's the laces broke twice there. I finally got sick of it and just tied them together... oddly once I did that they never broke again...

I wore it around for a month before applying the cat's paw.

It made a huge difference in terms of comfort and walkability.

I'm doing the same thing with my Cigar Chukka boot so let's see...

thanks, I don't know. You're the second to ask me. They did when I ordered them back in 2004. Maybe it's a special thing you have to ask for....

I was talking with someone at Wesco last month about this. Wesco no longer carries roller buckles, but will put them on if you supply them. Anybody know of a source?

Those boots look great. Is that the western toe? I wasn't keen on it until I saw your books broken in. I was thinking of having something put together on a stacked heel (a no-go with the moto patrol toe).

I was talking with someone at Wesco last month about this. Wesco no longer carries roller buckles, but will put them on if you supply them. Anybody know of a source?

Those boots look great. Is that the western toe? I wasn't keen on it until I saw your books broken in. I was thinking of having something put together on a stacked heel (a no-go with the moto patrol toe).

I'll have to find my original paperwork on them, but I'm pretty sure it's the western toe or the motorcycle toe... Boss main, brown, brass hardware...

Too bad about the rollers, I love them. Try ebay for a set or find an oldtime hardware supply place maybe...?

I don't think they have to be straight up engineer boot roller buckles. If you find the right size and color, I think you can use any squarish roller buckle, which are very easy to find all over the net.

Speaking of which, here are my 4 year old Chippewas with rollers.

chipp.jpg

I don't think they have to be straight up engineer boot roller buckles. If you find the right size and color, I think you can use any squarish roller buckle, which are very easy to find all over the net.

Speaking of which, here are my 4 year old Chippewas with rollers.

chipp.jpg

Coleslawyum, I think you've posted these before - I can't get over how amazing they look!! Correct me if I'm wrong: Tan Bomber Chippewa's with Okuyama sole treatment and his buckles?

Killer Boots, man!!

Cheers!

Edit: Hope you don't mind me posting these beauties on my blog.

John

Great last - very comfortable. They look a little funky in the toe box but you'll get used to them.

I agree with you about the comfort, but I can't agree about it looking funky in the toebox. The Modified is absolutely my favourite Alden last in terms of look. It has a really vintage appearance which may not be to everyone's taste but I love it....goes great with old school denim. It also looks absolutely unique. Nothing from anyone else looks anything like it.

Unfortunately, as you mentioned, nice make ups on it are generally expensive and difficult to find outside Japan and Anatomica in Paris. Moulded shoe usually have the Norwegian split toe model in this last, though, which is a great looking shoe IMO.

The other thing about the Modified last is that you really need to be fitted by someone who knows what they are doing to find your correct size. Your size in the Modified doesn't usually have much to do with what you wear in other lasts. It also doesn't work at all for some people's feet.

Buying your first pair on the Modified last on the internet is therefore likely to be something of a crap-shoot. Good luck with it.:)

<a  href=americanmadeboots002.th.jpg' alt='americ

here is a photo of some of my boots, any body else rockin Danners or Wesco?

i hope this is the right thread.

....shameless plug, but I got some really old Danner workboots up on ebay right now. Size 12.5. Also got a few sz 12 Aldens up now too including my cigar Indy's :-(