Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

One word: Seconds.

theshoemart.com has them, but you have to ask. They'll put you on their mailing list, which is by size/width. IF, for any reason, you can find the defect (often quite hard) AND you don't like it, you can return. Very good policy, and big savings.

Also: Call Allen-Edmonds Shoe Bank (# is easily found). You can actually talk to someone about what they might have in your size/width.

My shell Bradley's, a split toe in #8, are -- by far -- the most comfortable of the shells I own. They were my first, on deep discount, and I strongly recommend.

Anyway, AE's return policy for seconds is also very good. You don't like 'em, you can return. period.

Cheers!

One word: Seconds.

theshoemart.com has them, but you have to ask. They'll put you on their mailing list, which is by size/width. IF, for any reason, you can find the defect (often quite hard) AND you don't like it, you can return. Very good policy, and big savings.

!

What he said. I just purchased a pair from shoemart for like $349. The only blemish was a little scratch on the leather that is barely noticeable. And if you get a pair you can return them if the blemish is not acceptable.

Just keep your eyes open, they always have beautiful seconds shoes. Give theshoemart a call and tell them what your size is and they will start sending you the emails.

Here's a pic of my Redwing Irish Setter Work Boots that I got on eBay from America a couple of years ago...

They were beautifully aged and have got better without too much effort...

The pic used flash, and they are not that shiney, but not totally dull...

They are Made in USA (I don't know if they all are, or if they are now outsourced?...) and was wondering if there is enough info for someone to roughly date them?

Cheers

Redwing1.jpg

AFAIK 877's are the oldest model still into production,so they can be anything from the 1950's until the date when you got them.my RW's all have a tag inside saying e.g. 6/05 - june 2005.but dont count me on this,i am far from being an expert.

lovely pair,btw.

AFAIK 877's are the oldest model still into production,so they can be anything from the 1950's until the date when you got them.my RW's all have a tag inside saying e.g. 6/05 - june 2005.but dont count me on this,i am far from being an expert.

lovely pair,btw.

Thanks for that :)

It's amazing how the brain works, as from looking at the inner label and reading 'Irish Setter Sport Boot', to typing it on the PC and it becoming 'Irish Setter Work Boot' LOL

I just checked and there is no date info inside, but my feeling is probably seventies, just from the look of them and the feel...

the two iron rangers are my brother's..

the GT's are the most recent addition to the family..

my next pair should be the Hawthorne Iron Ranger and a Cigar or Chestnut GT.. thinking about Engineer style boots as well.

web.jpg?ver=12752359180001

anyone of you fellas with the alden roys have wide feet?

my feet are slightly wide and even my d width roys feel a little generous but not so much that they're uncomfortable.

btw, anyone interested in a pair of wolverine 1000 mile boots? they've been resoled with cats paws heels.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=212897

dd48e0ee.jpg

bba7c0a0.jpg

aad3a33e.jpg

f94814f1.jpg

Polished my 405s with some Alden burgundy boot cream.

before (This is the most recent pics I have of them, like a year ago) :

img1795resize.jpg

after

036tf.jpg

033tr.jpg

032kf.jpg

I kinda like it for a change. The polish is still a bit shiny, but I assume it will wear off a bit. I also polished the side of the leather soles so that they have a more finished look. The cobbler that put my cat's paws on left them raw. I also need to get some new brown waxed laces. I am having a bitch of time finding nice waxed laces long enough for these.

you can call Alden and have them send you new laces like what came with the 405s, and apparently wax them yourself. someone posted a link in here about doing it, but I dont remember where to find it.

maybe you could ask them for a waxed pair. you'd probably have to pay for those though.

either way, the boots look awesome.

I might try that. I have found that the laces that come with the 405s last me about 3 months before they rip apart. I don't mind paying as long as the laces look good and last. The local pharmacy had the laces I wanted but they didn't have the length.

I periodically rewax my laces with obenaufs, since it's mostly beeswax anyhow. Just make sure you get them nice and clean (boiling or just hot tap water works well enough), squeegee them out between two fingers, let them dry, and then just work the wax in with your fingers. (Make sure you go easy on the wax or you'll just gum them up and have to start over.) I try to do it every few months. My GTs are still on their original laces despite being my everyday workboots for at least six months of their life thus far.

I might try that. I have found that the laces that come with the 405s last me about 3 months before they rip apart. I don't mind paying as long as the laces look good and last. The local pharmacy had the laces I wanted but they didn't have the length.

the Alden waxed laces shred pretty quickly too. I think speed hooks are the culprit

keeping up the aldens

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

ive had them since January. stopped wearing them frequently after mid april. FUCKING HEAT, also, just got the camera so im testing the shit out of it right now

yeah. heel is wearing down like a motherfucker

Yup, saw those at the Toyo offices last week, the quality was great, style definitely wasn't something i was into though.

That would be because they look like shit.

Yeah, pretty much.

what do you guys know about the alden modified last?

after taking the advice posted about shoemart.com and factory seconds, i went to the alden store and got sized (7E in aldens, 8D in most shoes) and now have a chance to get some nice alden dress shoes for a steep discount. the only thing that i am unsure about is the last. what is the modified last?

lol...reminds me of orthopedic shoes

Actually, they are! Go to the Alden site and look under their medical shoes. You'll find them there. Originally meant to be pair with braces, often for children post-polio. As that market is now extremely small, they look for fools who go for the weird=cool look.

I suppose for those who can pull it off, they might even be weird=cool. :rolleyes:

i love my indy's! honestly the best shoes i have ever owned. i think they were talking about the other boots, no?

does anyone hear wear oxfords/brogues/wingtips (basically anything that isn't a boot) without socks? With low socks? trying to figure out summer styles but don't want smelly feet