Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

The brown reverse oiled chamois from leather soul hawaii are sexy as hell.* Trying hard to resist...

pitt1.jpg

I want these in an 11D!!!

Winn Perry has the same boot but with the plantation crepe sole, same as the Roy boot....decisions decisions. And yes, they're both on Barrie last.

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/Shoes-Reverse_Chamois_High_Boots_248.htm

And I would love to move my "Little Tanks" in an 11.5D...

In considering my next White's purchase, is french calf leather really so fragile? It looks great in black, though I've heard they damaged really easily. I may be a full-time student this fall so I doubt I'll beat the shit out of them.

Not everyones favorite milkshake, but I drink it up. I do not know how long I have had these, but after many years of loyal servitude I have decided to send them back into the world and let someone else have a go.

20100526_11-1.jpg20100526_11-1.jpg

20100526_11-1.jpg

That's a damng fine pair of shit kickers. I've got some water buffalo, and boas that I haven't worn in years, as I never seem to get around to resoling them.

It breaks my heart to see those pitt boots in black shell, cuz I just bought my wedding shoes in black shell and I totally would have sprung for those pitt boots if I had known about them. I would return the ones I bought, but I already "creased" them. Nobody please re-post them. I can't stand another heart break like that again.

So I've decided my first quality boot purchase will be the Alden Indy, But can't decide between the 403 and 404. I like the look of the 403 better, and I hear good things about the leather, but how is Chromexcel durability compared to the regular 404 leather?

947746shoes_1.jpg

229924shoes_2.jpg

here are my White's bounty hunters.

8" high, all in french calf, composition sole.

i wanted higher boots than semi dress to really protect the ankle (bike)

and french calf for confort.

is it fragile? well it is more than bull hide but man it is so soft.....

my next pair will be with oiled bull hide, i will tell you the difference jstarvin.

8" high

brown leather calf

single sole

vibram 700 outsole

one celastic toe

red lining

all antiques holes, no hooks (wich is probably less practical... but it reminded me old days when i wore docmartens).

So I've decided my first quality boot purchase will be the Alden Indy, But can't decide between the 403 and 404. I like the look of the 403 better, and I hear good things about the leather, but how is Chromexcel durability compared to the regular 404 leather?

If you like the look of the 403 better, get the 403. The 404 with the heavy soles really seem to be suitable for winter harsh weather, and may look out of place in spring or summer. The kudu is a heavily waxed leather and does not need much, if any conditioning or treatment to keep it in the same condition as it arrives in. As for durability, both pairs will easily last you 10+ years if you do the proper maintenance (don't let the leather dry out, try not to wear them two days in a row, resole if the soles are very worn down, etc.).

If you want an all purpose shoe, get the 403. If you live in Canada or something and need a rough and tough boot, get the 404. There isn't really an difference in durability between the two. Go by what you think you will wear more often.

If you like the look of the 403 better, get the 403. The 404 with the heavy soles really seem to be suitable for winter harsh weather, and may look out of place in spring or summer. The kudu is a heavily waxed leather and does not need much, if any conditioning or treatment to keep it in the same condition as it arrives in. As for durability, both pairs will easily last you 10+ years if you do the proper maintenance (don't let the leather dry out, try not to wear them two days in a row, resole if the soles are very worn down, etc.).

If you want an all purpose shoe, get the 403. If you live in Canada or something and need a rough and tough boot, get the 404. There isn't really an difference in durability between the two. Go by what you think you will wear more often.

Thanks for the reply! I actually mixed up the numbers though. The two I am considering are the 403 and 405. The 404 would be overkill and I don't really like the lug sole or color. So how does the Chromexcel durability compare to the regular Indy leather? How about leather thickness?

Thanks for the reply! I actually mixed up the numbers though. The two I am considering are the 403 and 405. The 404 would be overkill and I don't really like the lug sole or color. So how does the Chromexcel durability compare to the regular Indy leather? How about leather thickness?

I have both the 403 and the 405. My 405 is the older version with the duck lining as opposed to leather lined. the difference in the thickness of the two boots is pretty substantial! The chromexcel is definitely thicker. I would say the difference between the two is that the 403 gets scuffed easier than the 405. You can oil them or polish them up easily but I feel that the 405 looks newer longer. Durability is probably a little better on the 403 just because it's thicker, but you'd probably never wear all the way through either one unless you work in a quarry or something.

The only other thing I can add is that if you find your size in the 403 you might want to consider grabbing it now. Alden is so back-ordered on these things that any new order will take as long as 18 weeks to come in according to my guy at the Alden shop.

I have both the 403 and the 405. My 405 is the older version with the duck lining as opposed to leather lined. the difference in the thickness of the two boots is pretty substantial! The chromexcel is definitely thicker. I would say the difference between the two is that the 403 gets scuffed easier than the 405. You can oil them or polish them up easily but I feel that the 405 looks newer longer. Durability is probably a little better on the 403 just because it's thicker, but you'd probably never wear all the way through either one unless you work in a quarry or something.

The only other thing I can add is that if you find your size in the 403 you might want to consider grabbing it now. Alden is so back-ordered on these things that any new order will take as long as 18 weeks to come in according to my guy at the Alden shop.

And that answers that! I'll definitely be going with the 403. I might be heading down to San Francisco this weekend so I'll see if the shop has any in my size. If they don't, where would be the best place to order online?

And that answers that! I'll definitely be going with the 403. I might be heading down to San Francisco this weekend so I'll see if the shop has any in my size. If they don't, where would be the best place to order online?

come to Unionmade in S.F. where I work. I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. Sorry, we are out of 403's but we have a full stock of 405's (size 8-11)

We have awesome clothes too!

if not, you should definitely go to the Alden store. I know they are sold out of a lot of sizes in the 403 but they might have it. it's hard to get the sizing right if you want to order them (unless you already have tried them on) the price will be the same pretty much everywhere ($435)

hopefully see you this weekend!

just a quick question for anyone that has the Roy boots, (or any other Alden boot with a crepe sole) - How does the crepe do on icy sidewalks? Has anyone busted their ass while wearing the Roys on ice, or do they hold up better than other sole types? any info appreciated!

come to Unionmade in S.F. where I work. I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. Sorry, we are out of 403's but we have a full stock of 405's (size 8-11)

We have awesome clothes too!

if not, you should definitely go to the Alden store. I know they are sold out of a lot of sizes in the 403 but they might have it. it's hard to get the sizing right if you want to order them (unless you already have tried them on) the price will be the same pretty much everywhere ($435)

hopefully see you this weekend!

I'm trying to find a 405 in 10EE - tried 9.5EEE at the Alden Shoppe in NYC and it didn't fit right (they only carry D, E and EEE). Alden doesn't have any in stock, The ShoeMart doesn't have any in stock! What to do!

I really want to see if the 10EE fits me in the Trubalance Last - cause if it does, I can get in on a special order thru LeatherSoul, Context, etc, etc for a 10EE...

Anyone know where I can find a 10EE in a 405 to try on? I'm a Modified Last guy and as posted before on here, Alden just ain't making Modified Last boots on EEE anymore (New cutting machine).

Still waiting on WESCO mid-sole fitting.... But I'd really like something in the INDY family to go with it!

Mea Culpa! (I've been saying that a bit too much lately...)

I haven't posted in this, my favorite thread of all time, in a long time. Haven't had a lot of interesting progress to show.

BUT, I just got amazingly lucking in an E-prey bid for a pair of C&J loafers in Whiskey shell cordovan. I've been jonesin' for a pair of Alden LHS in whiskey for, like, forever... but haven't been able to justify the price. I already live well beyond my budget.

Anyway, here are several shots from the auction with a couple of my own. They arrived hours ago, so I haven't even hit 'em with a brush yet.

crockettandjonespennyloafers95.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

They are more sleek than the Alden LHS. Oddly, they are almost too sleek to me, but will certainly look better with non-denim (when I'm willing).

IMG_1331.jpg

Oddly, the seller did NOT include a photo of the Horween stamp inside. Probably didn't realize some people really want to see this.

This is the C&J Harvard, which is the unlined version. The Alden unlined version is the one sold by Brooks Brothers.

Anyway, I am pleased. The wife spotted me taking pictures of the shoes, and kept asking me "why are you taking pictures of your shoes?" I know she realized that they just arrived, but, I am so grateful, she hasn't asked about the price (even captured for a song, they ain't that cheap!!!) :D

So, a great pair of loafers. The loafer in me celebrates!!!

:cool:

why do you throw your shoes and socks all over the floor i dont get it..

im very messy, studying for finals, lots and lots of work. no 15 year old can be perfectly neat but i always clean my mess up