Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Thanks guys! Boots on the bottom left are my White's SD and the bottom right are some old italian-made Scarpas. Better pictures a few pages back.

Here's one:

CIMG2397.jpg

Top row left are Ermenegildo Zegna (made by Ferragamo I believe), the double monks in the middle are Ferragamos and the pair on the right are some old Johnston & Murphy. I'm happy to post better pictures of these if you like.

I found the monks on fleaBay for a song...I couldn't believe it. They are quite old, may need a resole soon, but the leather is in beautiful condition!

Figured I'd post pics of my visit to White's and Spokane WA here. Spent about an hour in the shop - talked to the staff, got fitted, checked the gear and took a few clandestine photos.

f3w2ld.jpg

10hlmxg.jpg

20hu8tu.jpg

Few views into the factory

hvb8lv.jpg

21j9mo4.jpg

Used boots for sale

2mypxmo.jpg

And Spokane falls just a few miles away. Beautiful place.

35c0vmg.jpg

morse- do they have boots in all different size you can actually try on there? That was one thing I was wondering about for their showroom. I would love to go there sometime and check them out in person. I've been to Russell, now just need to get to White's and Alden.

can anyone name a good engineering boot in black leather. http://www.misterfreedom.com/?p=981 similar to that but not 1k. thanks

i meant production/ something like alden production for about 300. viberg makes one for 400, but it seems a little high for me right now

The redwings look pretty nice. I think the model # is 2990.

Sorry, just now saw this post...

I called the number for phone ordering indicated on White's website and a gentleman named Mark handled all of my questions and ordering. He seemed to know exactly what he was talking about for the most part and if there was something he wasn't sure about, he put me on hold and went to talk to the guys actually making the boots. Great experience, great customer service.

As far as I know there isn't any cost savings going directly through White's...just the guarantee that if something goes wrong along the way they'll take care of it for you. And being able to describe what your vision is directly to the factory is comforting IMO.

Mine took about 4-5 weeks and they fit great. The only thing I'll stipulate in future orders is to make the ankle slightly lower volume. Foot tracings and measurements allowed my boots to fit great in terms of the footbed and throughout the toebox/midsole area, but if you have a low-volume ankle (read: skinny) I'd let them know that as well.

Good luck!

Great post - Did you measure your ankle? Just curious as to whether or not they used those measurements to determine the right size for you in ankle area as well as the the toebox, instep, etc

Hey guys I'm in the market for a pair of white's SD, I'm thorn between these two colors. Which leather is better? Do any of you have this americanas and can post pics?

Sorry for such a big image.

British Tan Cowhide

Amer_British_Tan600.jpg

Black Cherry Water Buffalo

Amer_Bl_Chry_WB600.jpg

Did you measure your ankle? Just curious as to whether or not they used those measurements to determine the right size for you in ankle area as well as the the toebox, instep, etc

In a sense, yes, I measured my ankle. In addition to tracings, you measure the circumference of your heel, instep and ball of your foot as well as the circumference of your leg at 6" up, 8", etc. (depending how tall your boot is). So you measure the very bottom circumference of your heel/ankle.

However, because there's no measurement at, say 3", the volume of your ankle isn't really measured. One of the faults, I think, in their measuring criteria.

I'm sure if you have an average ankle or a slightly large ankle you'll be just fine. No worries at all. But if you have a low volume ankle or an unusually high volume ankle, I would suggest letting them know.

Hope that helps.

for wgmds, the white's open road is probably your best bet.

those are super nice, i think i could just have them resoled most likely since i like a little brown in the heel. thanks for the help.